The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEX depth with SLR-lens adapter?

Oren Grad

I have a request for any of you NEX fans who are using your camera with an adapter for SLR lenses. Could I impose on you to measure the thickness of the camera body plus adapter - that is, from the rear surface of the camera to the front surface of the adapter - with no lens mounted, specifying which body it is (NEX-3 or-5) and which mount the adapter is for?

I'm most interested in Pentax K, Nikon F and Olympus Pen F but would welcome information on other mounts as well; perhaps this thread can be a good reference on the topic.

The point of this exercise, of course, is to help figure out the overall depth/thickness of some possible NEX/SLR lens combinations.

Any and all information much appreciated - thanks!

EDIT: Think first before putting fingers in gear! I know the flange-to-film specs for the various legacy SLR mounts. What I don't know is the sensor-surface-to-back-of-body measure for the NEX cameras. So if someone can provide the requested measure for *any* particular mount adapter, I can calculate it for the rest. Thanks!

Last edited:

hot

For most adapters you have to ~ double distance to lens, it's nonsens to count millimeters

f.e. 4/3 --> m4/3 ... 20mm --> 40mm

Oren Grad

OK, flange focal distance for the E mount is 18mm. So just the thickness of the body at the lens mount would do it.

petetsai

Why wouldn't you just go to wikipedia and look up lens mount. It has a table of registration distances for all known mounts. Asking people to measure is somewhat impractical as most people don't have calipers.

Oren Grad

I did. It's 18mm. Now what I need is the thickness of the body at the mount. Doesn't need to be to a precision of microns; to the nearest millimeter is close enough.

douglasf13

Why wouldn't you just go to wikipedia and look up lens mount. It has a table of registration distances for all known mounts. Asking people to measure is somewhat impractical as most people don't have calipers.
He knows the lens mount registrations. He is wondering what the measurement from the rear of the camera to the mount is.

Oren Grad

nex + leica m adapter = 1.7 in [43.2 mm]
Thanks!

Since the M-Leica FFD is 27.8 mm, that gives us 43.2 - 27.8 = 15.4 mm for the thickness of the NEX body behind the sensor plane, and 15.4 + 18 = 33.4 mm for the thickness of the NEX body from back to bearing surface of the mount ring. That sounds plausible.

And if we think of converting the NEX into different "flavors" of camera using mount adapters, we get the following body thickness for these popular legacy mounts:

(Native Sony E mount: 33.4 mm)
M-Leica mount: 43.2 mm
Olympus Pen F mount: 28.95 + 15.4 = 44.35 mm
Canon FL/FD: 42 + 15.4 = 57.4 mm
Minolta SR/MC/MD: 43.5 + 15.4 = 58.9 mm
Pentax K mount: 45.5 + 15.4 = 60.9 mm
Nikon F mount: 46.5 + 15.4 = 61.9 mm

Thanks also for the link - Vivek's NEX-5 with 38/3.8 Pen F pancake is extremely cool.

ampguy

Here's a good link with SLR film (sensor) to flange distances:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lens_mount

Basically, if you want the shortest SLR lenses on your nex, the Konica AR family is pretty short, but not as short as the Pen F.

Nikon is one of the longest.

But if you have existing lens to use, or planned, check out their lengths, and add adapter length, as a short particular Nikon lens even, could end up being longer in total than say a Konica lens that is physically longer, even though adapter is shorter than the Nikon by a few mm.