The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony NEX FS100

peterv

Re: Sony NEX FS10

>Productions that have the ambition to make pro-looking video aren't going to buy this nice little enthusiast camera. Professional videos are made in a slow and tedious manner.

But those productions use Canon 5DII cameras (e.g. Dr. House).
Don't know this production, I consider 5d video as an interesting development, but to me the 5d is primarily a still camera...

No problem, there are many adapters available.
See above:

...adapted HQ lenses? Might just as well hang them in front of a pro camera...

I guess we have different ideas as to what kind of equipment comes into play when making professional video. :)

Kind regards, Peter

douglasf13

I think the point is that this camera is aimed at the Panny AF100, which has many of the features missing in this new Sony. The lack of ND is a major annoyance to those I've talked to, but, who knows, maybe the output will be good enough to ignore the omissions?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

I know, I know. My question was more like a statement. You guys make it sound this camera is supposed to be professional tool that is seriously flawed... What did you expect for this kind of money?
Which 'pro' is going to shoot / follow focus @ f2.0 with a sensor this big, with lenses of E-mount quality as mentioned above? (adapted HQ lenses? Might just as well hang them in front of a pro camera) Productions that have the ambition to make pro-looking video aren't going to buy this nice little enthusiast camera. Professional videos are made in a slow and tedious manner.
I don't know what or who you are aiming at, but many film and video photographers seem to consider both the Panasonic and the Sony as good alternatives for professional use and very welcome upgrades from the DSLRs that have been offered as large sensor video cameras so far.

The ability to shoot with a shallow DOF has also been welcomed by many as a great opportunity. That doesn't mean that it has to be used all the time for any purpose, but when it's needed, now it's at least available, also for film makers that are on a limited budget.

What exactly is "lenses of E-mount quality"? The Zeiss Compact Primes (CP.2) are all available in m4/3 mount, and I'm sure there will be options available in NEX mount as well. At least if professional users don't find that the lack of ND filter (and possible other omissions that we haven't heard about yet) makes the Panasonic or other video cameras superior alternatives. And adapted lenses isn't always a bad alternative. They have been used in the movie industry more or less since the beginning of time.

peterv

I don't know what or who you are aiming at, but many film and video photographers seem to consider both the Panasonic and the Sony as good alternatives for professional use and very welcome upgrades from the DSLRs that have been offered as large sensor video cameras so far.
You're right, of course. There are so many kinds of 'professional' productions, I guess I'm a bit old fashioned in this regard.

0The ability to shoot with a shallow DOF has also been welcomed by many as a great opportunity. That doesn't mean that it has to be used all the time for any purpose, but when it's needed, now it's at least available, also for film makers that are on a limited budget.
Very true, especially WRT limited budget productions.

What exactly is "lenses of E-mount quality"? The Zeiss Compact Primes (CP.2) are all available in m4/3 mount, and I'm sure there will be options available in NEX mount as well. At least if professional users don't find that the lack of ND filter (and possible other omissions that we haven't heard about yet) makes the Panasonic or other video cameras superior alternatives. And adapted lenses isn't always a bad alternative. They have been used in the movie industry more or less since the beginning of time.
By "lenses of E-mount quality" I meant the three Sony E mount lenses that are available now. My point was that if you're going to have the budget to rent expensive HQ lenses, you could probably rent a high end camera too.

Kind regards,

Peter

peterv

>I guess we have different ideas as to what kind of equipment comes into play when making professional video.

Ok. What about this film?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0485985/

They used HDSLRs for some scenes (had Philip Bloom as advisor)?
Sorry, don't know that film either. In the old days, Super 8 and 16 mm were also used to get a special look. I'm sure DSLR's are used for the same reasons, besides small budgets.

To me 'pro' in the movie industry (cinema, television drama, serious documentaries, etc) in general refers to 35 mm, 16 mm or high end video. Shallow DOF does not automatically mean a ticket to 'pro' level filming.

I just wanted to convey that this Sony, to me, looks nice considering the price level.

Thanks,

Peter

ustein

Contributing Editor

You're right, of course. There are so many kinds of 'professional' productions, I guess I'm a bit old fashioned in this regard.

Very true, especially WRT limited budget productions.

By "lenses of E-mount quality" I meant the three Sony E mount lenses that are available now. My point was that if you're going to have the budget to rent expensive HQ lenses, you could probably rent a high end camera too.

Kind regards,

Peter
>My point was that if you're going to have the budget to rent expensive HQ lenses, you could probably rent a high end camera too.

But there are not many high end cameras with a large sensor. The cheapest is a Red or Sony F3 :).

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

>My point was that if you're going to have the budget to rent expensive HQ lenses, you could probably rent a high end camera too.

But there are not many high end cameras with a large sensor. The cheapest is a Red or Sony F3 :).
The F3 may also be the answer to why the FS100 is what it is; Sony probably wants to protect sales of the more expensive camera. I haven't gone in to all the details, and I don't really have the competence to do so, but it seems to me that the AG-AF100 is a more wholehearted attempt than the Sony.

Panasonic probably sees more potential in the m4/3 system than Sony does in the NEX, on all levels from snapshot holiday cameras to professional movies. While Panasonic has placed all bets on one mount, Sony, as usual, develops a whole little forest of alternatives. That in itself is a good reason to go with m4/3.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>Sony, as usual, develops a whole little forest of alternatives. That in itself is a good reason to go with m4/3.

Yes, but the FS100 is something interesting at least. The VG10 is really disappointing.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
>Sony, as usual, develops a whole little forest of alternatives. That in itself is a good reason to go with m4/3.

Yes, but the FS100 is something interesting at least. The VG10 is really disappointing.
Uwe, as you see it, are there any convincing reasons to choose the Sony over the Panasonic?

ustein

Contributing Editor
Uwe, as you see it, are there any convincing reasons to choose the Sony over the Panasonic?
There maybe a few:

- If the sensor is better (seems to use the sensor of the F3). As said if and we don't know. This is very much all about the sensor.
- smaller form factor
- Codec to be seen

Overall to early to tell. This camera aims at the AF100 and the Canon HDSLRs at the same time. HDSLRs are only used because:

- small
- cheap (for video)
- larger sensor with more filmic look

Last edited:
A

Andrea Buso

You seem to find this funny. How often do you shoot video in brighter light? ND filters are essential.
It is nice that they still sell matte boxes with filter holders.
I can stack a few ND filters on front of the lens.;)

ustein

Contributing Editor
>It is nice that they still sell matte boxes with filter holders.
I can stack a few ND filters on front of the lens.

Yes. For me a matte box would be too much of a hassle (nature documentaries).

douglasf13

I think, if anything, this camera solidifies Sony's commitment to e-mount.

As for E lenses, while the current ones aren't world class, the quality of the upcoming primes may be. Besides, this video sensor is very low resolution, so how important is the sharpness? Plus, the mount is so adaptable that just about any lens will work.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>I think, if anything, this camera solidifies Sony's commitment to e-mount.

THink so too, pushed by Panasonic m43 and Canon 5DII. Sony loves to play the feature game. They give you just as much as they think they need to (protecting their higher end models). But then they can create cool designs.