The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEX5 + Leica lenses for video recording

silverlight99

Anyone here spent much time getting this to work well? I have a few Leica Leica lenses current and older and have been looking for a platform with which to utilize them for video (primarily of my kids). was trying to decide between NEX5, GH2 (u4/3) as I wanted something on the smaller side (vs 5d2 or Nikon). So ordered and just received the NEX5 and should have a voigtlander adapter arriving today hopefully maybe tomorrow.

Curious of your impressions on this combination and any secrets to success? (I have some wider lenses, in the 21/24/28/35 range, which I would assume would spend most of the time on camera given the sensor size). I did read about the Clearviewer accessory which could help with the manual focusing (which could be more challenging with moving subjects). Also prepared to use a tripod if necessary, but it's not ideal in some scenarios of course.

Thanks for any insights!

Last edited:

Millsart

NEX isn't a very good video camera overall as it has basically zero controls for video. Great still camera but GH2 or even GH1 is much much better as you've got full control over shutter speed, ISO etc with it.

NEX can take good video's in some cases but if I was looking for something with the purpose of taking video it would not be my choice

Jerry_R

NEX doesn't have EVF (useful when using legacy lenses with manual focus).

Its noise in video is on GF1\G2 level, much below GH1 and GH2.

Sharpness is probably weaker (LUMIX downscales all pixels to video resolution) (but I haven't made 1:1 comparison).

silverlight99

thanks for all the helpful feedback! I was able to get it up and running last night. Used the Leica 24mm summilux wide open at 1.4, and yes focusing was definitely a challenge with the little screen. The stills are very nice, but very noisey compared to the M9 images I'm used to (but also much more noise than my 5D). Granted all of this was in the evening in a well-lit room with lots of incandescent light, I'm sure it would do better during daylight.

Are there camera options with which an EVF can be used? (I'll search around).

thomasl.se

The EVF for Oly EP2 is very nice. Clear, bright, tiltable and high resolution.

I had the kit for a week but sold it because I much preferred the handling of my GF1. Which I'm now abandoning for the NEX-5. I haven't shot video on either but I find its RAW output very good, and handling while not as nice as the GF1's, is quite manageable with firmware v03.

Really happy with NEX-5/Novoflex/'cron 35 v2 as my constant companion 54eq. Ordered the Clearviewer which should hopefully arrive next week.

silverlight99

While it's a bigger body, going to also give the GH2 a try (which has the advantage of c-mounts probably being a better fit for the sensor size). Will make a decision between the two. I will admit I with the footage I tried with the NEX5 (video) there was a lot of motion jaggies/artifacts and moire all over the place, so not sure it will ultimately be the right combination.

Millsart

thanks for all the helpful feedback! I was able to get it up and running last night. Used the Leica 24mm summilux wide open at 1.4, and yes focusing was definitely a challenge with the little screen. The stills are very nice, but very noisey compared to the M9 images I'm used to (but also much more noise than my 5D). Granted all of this was in the evening in a well-lit room with lots of incandescent light, I'm sure it would do better during daylight.

You certainly shouldn't be finding the NEX noisy compared to the M9, its a much cleaner camera. M9 was a great camera (sold mine 4 days ago and missing it already) but higher iso was not its strong point.

Perhaps you had the auto ISO on and the camera was picking a very high iso setting ?

One of the reasons I actually bought a NEX in the first place was to have a backup/additional body to my Leica that could do things the m8 and m9 couldn't, such as shoot at higher ISO

silverlight99

Spend some time, make some real shots - and then re-evaluate your statement.
Very fair point ;) I've been spending more time this afternoon with the NEX shooting both stills and some video with a variety of lenses (ranging from C-mount lenses to Leica lenses, both wide and stopped down), and as I get a better handle on the camera, am able to improve results. Shooting all manual mode helps alot. Still not there yet (probably me!), but it's a great little camera.

silverlight99

Just an update. I've now experimented with both the NEX5 and the GH2, and am definitely preferring the NEX just in terms of handling, greater ease of focusing with the screen with the NEX and smaller form factor. Have now also gotten some great results as well with both photos and movies with M lenses that I'm excited about. My favorite lens on it right now is the 35 Lux (followed closely by the 35 Cron, esp when size matters). being able to shoot from the hip as many of you have pointed out in a couple of the threads sure makes it fun and opens up a lot of possibilities.

silverlight99

Here's one from Central Park this afternoon. NEX5 + 35 Cron at f/2 ISO 200

Here's another shot I took completely OOF (was just taking a test shot looking down at the camera), but just had fun with it in SilverEfex

malvenko

I did a timelapse some time ago with the Nex-5 and a 50mm 'lux:

http://vimeo.com/20451206

From an image quality standpoint, I think the Nex+Leica lens set is amazing.

Regarding moving subjects, I try to work the scale as the subject moves.... I really like the organic OOF frames that I get, since I think I'd either need to be a pro operator to keep all moving subjects in focus, or have distance cues in the floor.