The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

close ups with NEX5

AGeoJO

Bob, indeed the NEX-5 fires a pre-flash burst prior to the main flash just like you were told. I wasn't aware of that and like I said, except for testing a few times, I don't use flash at all.

redsim74

No, I meant by a slave trigger that uses t light from one flash to trigger a second flash independantly. "the onboard flash is capable to trigger simple slaved flash"....THIS is what I'm trying to tie down,...I have been told that NEX always uses a preflash before the main flash,..if that is the case then NEX will NOT be able to use slave becasue the second flash head will fire with teh NEX's preflash...ie., with shutter still closed.......(??)
With the better slave triggers you should be able to program them to ignore a preflash. They're likely to be more expensive than a dumb slave though.

Bugleone

redsim74,...thanks for that,..I have now found several adjustable slave units on th web, thanks.

pegelli

I've been mainly shooting MF Leica and OM lenses, but this morning decided to take it easy and give the 18-55 kit a spin. I'm not dissapointed at all. This one is iso 800, handheld at 55 mm and f8:

philber

The NEX system lends itself very well to close-ups. Either with native E-mount, or with legacy alt glass, like here (Leica Summicron 90:: f2.0)

pegelli

Beautiful colours and oof rendering in that one philber!

The Nex has indeed ample opportunity for close-ups

With the kit lens:

With a Olympus OM 135/3.5 + total of 65 mm extension tubes:

Or with a Leica M90/4 at MFD: