The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony A850 discontinued...

edwardkaraa

This model has been discontinued for almost a year. It kept on selling until stocks are exhausted. It hasn't been available in this part of the world for quite a while now. Next question: when will be the turn of the A900? :)

etrigan63

A full frame SLT with a pro-class body, 25-ish megapixels and great low-light would be a great replacement.

edwardkaraa

A full frame SLT with a pro-class body, 25-ish megapixels and great low-light would be a great replacement.
It's going to be more like 35mp. The problem is that all manufacturers are racing to give us stuff we don't really need. I'm very happy with the A900 and can keep on using it for years. I really would like them to concentrate on stuff like sensor image quality, decreasing sample variations, dealing with front/back focusing whether caused by body, lens, or both, larger AF sensor area that corresponds better to the rule of thirds.

I do not need iso higher than 6400, huge mp counts, video, live view, gps, alarm clock, Internet browser, espresso machine... Etc. If they could concentrate on the above mentioned issues instead, areas where I feel important improvements can be done, I would be more than happy.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Yes, that's a funny thing Edward: I did a model shoot for a brochure on the weekend and, somehow, the images were fantastic!

And I agree with all of your points, too, and 6400 ISO (like the D700) would be great. I love the fact that the A850 is a simple camera rather than a computer.

picman

The problem is that all manufacturers are racing to give us stuff we don't really need. I'm very happy with the A900 and can keep on using it for years.
Which is exactly how I feel and is the reason why I took the bold step of getting another A900, tucked safely away, just in case something dramatic happens to my first one :)

jonoslack

The A900 does work terribly well - mine's been sleeping recently whilst I've been play ing with new toys. I must wake it up and give it a shake!

gsking

I guess one good thing about a FF SLT...it should have an on-board flash. ;)

I know I'm the exception to the rule, but I like having that capability.

davemillier

Hi Jono

So should I sell my 5D and lenses and buy an 850 before they are all gone (I have a Minolta 50mm f1,4 MD !)

The A900 does work terribly well - mine's been sleeping recently whilst I've been play ing with new toys. I must wake it up and give it a shake!

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Great camera - love it. If the A900 is replaced with an EVF I suspect the OVF cameras will creep up in value, since then the only alternatives to a used 900/850 will be the D3X or 5D2. And those are of no use if you have a cabinet full of Sony/Minolta glass...

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Great camera - love it. If the A900 is replaced with an EVF I suspect the OVF cameras will creep up in value, since then the only alternatives to a used 900/850 will be the D3X or 5D2. And those are of no use if you have a cabinet full of Sony/Minolta glass...
I honestly don't like the alternatives in any flavor.

Lonnie Utah

Everyone here is making the assumption that the EVF will be terrible. This is not something we know at all. If the specs on the A77 are correct, the EVF will be like no EVF we've ever seen. Just for perspective, the 3mp viewfinder of the A77 will have more resolution than the HD tv in your living room. I'm sure that the next FF offering even with evf will be something close to "real life" resolution....

J

jcoffin

Everyone here is making the assumption that the EVF will be terrible. This is not something we know at all. If the specs on the A77 are correct, the EVF will be like no EVF we've ever seen. Just for perspective, the 3mp viewfinder of the A77 will have more resolution than the HD tv in your living room. I'm sure that the next FF offering even with evf will be something close to "real life" resolution....
I think there are two points to keep in mind. First of all, there's an immense gap between "terrible", and "as good as the A900 viewfinder".

Second, it's not entirely about spatial resolution. There are also issues like response speed, color accuracy, etc.

That's not to say that I think it's impossible for an EVF to ever match an OVF -- but it is to say that 3MP alone doesn't guarantee that it'll be an improvement (or even anywhere close to as good). It might well be -- Sony certainly did a fine job in designing the 900 -- but it's not anywhere close to guaranteed (their current EVF cameras hardly seem like they even came from the same planet as the 900, not to mention the same company).

Last edited: