The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony A850 discontinued...

douglasf13

Hi Jono

So should I sell my 5D and lenses and buy an 850 before they are all gone (I have a Minolta 50mm f1,4 MD !)
Dave, FWIW, Minolta MD lenses won't mount on Sony Alpha without a special conversion of some kind (or an adapter with glass in it.) Only Minolta Maxxum AF lenses mount on the system natively.

mjm6

I am hoping that there is one more OVF pro camera coming before the jump to EVF.

Canon would always introduce improvements in the consumer cameras first (Anyone remember the T-50, T-70, T-80 and T-90? All development predecessors to the EOS line of cameras and not all successful cameras, but the T-90 was fantastic, and a great workhorse camera for me, along with my older New F-1's), and after working out the details, would introduce them in the pro cameras (EOS-1 built on the success of the T-90). I seriously hope that Sony takes this approach with the a900/a850 replacement camera. Unfortunately, I have a feeling they will jump in with EVF before it's ready for prime-pro-time.

I switched from Canon (after having used Canon for close to 30 years!) because the OVF of the a900 was superior to any camera that Canon currently had, or has had as an offering for over a dozen years. What a refreshing camera to use (a900).

If Sony doesn't realize that many pros consider that to be one of the greatest differentiators of that camera, they may lose all the converts back to other systems by proving that the Sony solutions in the a900/a850 was a flash in the pan rather than the first in a line of consistent quality pro level products that builds on previous models. I believe that is fundamental to the success of a pro camera line from Canon or Nikon, (and previously Pentax and Minolta).

---Michael

Lonnie Utah

I think there are two points to keep in mind. First of all, there's an immense gap between "terrible", and "as good as the A900 viewfinder".

Second, it's not entirely about spatial resolution. There are also issues like response speed, color accuracy, etc.

That's not to say that I think it's impossible for an EVF to ever match an OVF -- but it is to say that 3MP alone doesn't guarantee that it'll be an improvement (or even anywhere close to as good). It might well be -- Sony certainly did a fine job in designing the 900 -- but it's not anywhere close to guaranteed (their current EVF cameras hardly seem like they even came from the same planet as the 900, not to mention the same company).
Without looking thru the viewfinder of the next offering you just can't say that. You can speculate, but it's just speculation. None of us have any idea what the technology will be able to do. And, the simple fact of the matter is that an EVF can do so many more thing than an OVF that there are some distinct advantages there as well.

Too many people are willing to say "No ovf, I'm done" without giving the technology a chance. Personally, I'm optimistic.

Of course, I have a a900 so I can hedge my bets.... :D

davemillier

Dave, FWIW, Minolta MD lenses won't mount on Sony Alpha without a special conversion of some kind (or an adapter with glass in it.) Only Minolta Maxxum AF lenses mount on the system natively.
It's funny sometimes, some Nikon lenses work better on Canon bodies than they do on Nikon bodies, some Minolta lenses work better on m4/3 than they do on Sony bodies....

picman

And, the simple fact of the matter is that an EVF can do so many more thing than an OVF that there are some distinct advantages there as well.
Can you clarify this a bit Lonnie. I've used the A55 alongside my A900 for an afternoon and I must say I was not impressed.

1. Colors, brightness of the EVF not true to reality
2. Disturbing lot of "idiot-lights"
3. Most importantly, just moving the camera left-right up-down gently when framing would result in double blurry view until the camera came to rest again.

I am not against EVF per se, but its present incarnation has little that I like. Looking through the A900 VF is a pure joy and stimulates me wanting to take a certain view and concentrate on looking carefully at details, with the A55 it was just the other way round I wanted to get it over as quickly as possible. But maybe I did not have enough time to benefit from some of the positive things. One thing for which it might be interesting, but I did not need it on my test-afternoon, is very critical focusing?

Cheers, Bob.

Lonnie Utah

Picman,

While I haven't held the a77 or looked through the viewfinder, I know (or at least it's rumored) that the resolution of the EFV is 3 times that of the a55. So right there is a significant difference between the cameras.

While it sound's like you might not like them, things like an artificial horizon, real live view (based on camera settings), and as you mention, critical focusing are things that no OVF can do.

As primarily a landscape shooter, a artificial horizon is something that I'm really looking forward to.

The "live view" of a EVF is of real benefit when working in low light situations.

As far as colors, brightness and "reality" with the amount of post processing that goes on these days, what's "reality" anyway? However, this is an entirely different topic....

picman

Picman,

While I haven't held the a77 or looked through the viewfinder, I know (or at least it's rumored) that the resolution of the EFV is 3 times that of the a55. So right there is a significant difference between the cameras.

While it sound's like you might not like them, things like an artificial horizon, real live view (based on camera settings), and as you mention, critical focusing are things that no OVF can do.
That sounds pretty good, I'm looking forward to trying it out. Now if only they could make it another 3 times better for a possible A99 :)

I'm pretty good at keeping my camera horizontal and with most raw converters there is an easy way to straighten horizons without loosing anything significant (if it is just a small amount). But critical focusing, certainly of people, that is something that really interests me.

Cheers, Bob.

monza

As far as critical focusing is concerned with OVFs, I've tried Nikon, Canon and Sony with adapted lenses, and Sony had the best out-of-the box viewfinder by FAR. I can actually manually focus with the stock focusing screen. The others were dismal failures...

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
As far as critical focusing is concerned with OVFs, I've tried Nikon, Canon and Sony with adapted lenses, and Sony had the best out-of-the box viewfinder by FAR. I can actually manually focus with the stock focusing screen. The others were dismal failures...
The Type M screen is even better. Love it!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
My whole Sony system maybe up for sale come this week. If your thinking about buying 850 , 24-70, 200 High Speed 2.8 Minolta that is killer good. Flash and acessories. Keep you posted but eventually I have no oPtions but to sell it. New back is coming sometime but this does pain me as I think the best user cam out there.

MP7

Which do you prefer and why? A900 versus A850

Also I am considering the evf new camera. For how I like to use the Sony system I feel it may have an advantage for my work. I am a multi-hybrid user so the new technology I do welcome. If I was only using Sony system I would prefer the ovf camera.

S

Spyder

My whole Sony system maybe up for sale come this week. If your thinking about buying 850 , 24-70, 200 High Speed 2.8 Minolta that is killer good. Flash and acessories. Keep you posted but eventually I have no oPtions but to sell it. New back is coming sometime but this does pain me as I think the best user cam out there.
Guy, just curious - are you leaving Sony altoghether?

Regards

Guy Mancuso

Buying a Phase IQ 160 back so it's a money thing, my delta to upgrade is very high. I really like the Sony's a lot . Thinking for the occasional use maybe a 580. The Phase gear has to play a bigger role in my PR work type stuff but I do have the occasional need for just grip and grin stuff. My problem is i can't have both right now. The good news is i can do almost anything with my Phase gear and sensor plus in this area but sometimes it is just too massive and slow. My other issue is I NEED optical finders. The EVF stuff just does not work well for me. I'm in a catch 22 here. LOL

Guy Mancuso

Now in all truth i personally think Sony in overall look of files is above the rest. I really like the Zeiss glass on it and love the rendering of the files . It's not crunchy like some others. The one big issue i see is sony getting away from optical finders and this will take out a lot of Pro shooters IMHO. The 850 to me represents the best ergo SHOOTERS cam out there. Very simple and logical layout that fits a shooters mind without a lot of BS going on.

douglasf13

It's funny sometimes, some Nikon lenses work better on Canon bodies than they do on Nikon bodies, some Minolta lenses work better on m4/3 than they do on Sony bodies....
Well, they do work on Sony NEX bodies, so maybe you should go for an A850 + NEX-5 combo. That's what I did for a while. :D

douglasf13

Which do you prefer and why? A900 versus A850...
The only differences in the bodies is the A850 has less fps, a slightly less accurate VF, and a slightly different body finish. There may be a slight differences in the sensor/processing, but I've not seen conclusive info on that.

jonoslack

The only differences in the bodies is the A850 has less fps, a slightly less accurate VF, and a slightly different body finish. There may be a slight differences in the sensor/processing, but I've not seen conclusive info on that.
. . . and the A900 has more weatherseals?

Quentin_Bargate

. . . and the A900 has more weatherseals?
Hope so. I took mine unprotected under Niagara falls (literally) and it never stopped working.:eek:

Mine is still going stong. What is next for Sony? Is there an A900/850 replacement on the horizon(not that I see much rooom for improvement).

Quentin