The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEX Firmware Updates

J

John Bean

I have the tech camera and had the Sony's as my smaller take anywhere cameras.....until I was invited on Safari in Kenya and bought a whole new m4/3 kit which was the easiest/smallest/lightest way to get to 600mm. I like the NEX so I've held on to it. Eventually something has got to go as I also have an X100.
You have too many cameras :)

The odd thing in my case is that when I bought a NEX it was for a specific reason (details unimportant now) and I was absolutely confident it could never challenge my preferred Panasonic m4/3 choices. But it did.

I found I was using the NEX-5 far more than my G1, to the point that I have abandoned m4/3 altogether. That was the exact opposite of what I expected.

JCT

You have too many cameras :)

The odd thing in my case is that when I bought a NEX it was for a specific reason (details unimportant now) and I was absolutely confident it could never challenge my preferred Panasonic m4/3 choices. But it did.

I found I was using the NEX-5 far more than my G1, to the point that I have abandoned m4/3 altogether. That was the exact opposite of what I expected.
I'm in the same situation and curious to see how this evolves for me now that I have the NEX-5.

I truly love the Pana 7-14, though, very hard to give that up. I imagine I could end up swapping my GF1 for the NEX-5 if the native Zeiss wide angle could supplant the 20mm on my GF1.

J

John Bean

It will depend on your uses and preferences, which are most likely not at all like mine.

Currently I own no zoom lenses (and no AF lenses either for that matter!), it's just the way I prefer to work with small camera/manual lens combinations so there's no real difference in lens choice (for me) whichever camera I'm using. What it came down to was that I prefer the waist-level handling of the NEX with its tilting screen and rarely need an eye-level finder.

I briefly tried a GF1 but couldn't live with the fixed LCD, whatever lens was on it - again, personal preferences.

If I needed long lenses (or bulky zooms) it would be a different matter and the ergonomics of a camera like the G1 come into play, but I don't :)

douglasf13

Agreed, John. If native, AF lenses are the goal, I wouldn't be shooting NEX, but it is a dream with manual lenses. Granted, there are a bunch of NEX lenses on the horizon. The only AF lens I own is the Sony 16mm, and I must admit, it is a pretty capable 18mm equivalent with the Sony .75x adapter.

J

John Bean

I had a E16 for a while; decent enough lens, but I don't normally use anything that wide even without the adapter.

I bought it on the spur of the moment in a NEX-3 kit at a bargain price, thinking it might be handy to have two NEX bodies to save lens swapping. But for some reason I didn't really like the "feel" of the NEX-3 and hardly ever used it. I was tempted to sell just the body but I got a good price for the complete kit and I don't miss the E16.

I think that as the new native lenses appear I'll be tempted by some of them; there are certainly times I'd like to have AF available to me on a short-normal lens in the 28~35mm range - preferably faster than my current Leitz Summaron 35/3.5 (lovely, tiny lens), or the crude but surprisingly good SLR Magic 28/2.8 I'm playing with currently :)

s.agar

Another happy customer with the focus peaking and with the new firmware in general.

I tried the focus peaking today for the first time. Even on a sunny day, it works great. I used Contax G2 lenses, and mostly the 35mm. Yellow was my preference.

The focusing accuracy and percentage highly improved over my previous trials.