The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A900 comparisons

edwardkaraa

I know exactly what you mean. I myself shot large format commercially during a certain period but wasn't very fond of the process. I found a way to convince my clients that shooting medium format was equally as good :)

Compared to LF, shooting with adapted lenses is a breeze. One has just to remember to stop down the aperture after focusing :D

Ed,

I agree with on you on adapter-mount lenses somewhat.

I'm not terribly old, but I remember the days before 'auto-everything' very well, and started out shooting on a Canon FTQL from 1966 that was my father's. I've also shot large format for many years, until ultimately giving up film a few years ago.

Because of this background, I am very comfortable using a camera like the a900 in a similar manner to the old FTQL; in a manual, 'match needle' style mode. I barely use the auto capabilities of the camera otherwise. However, the SSS is very nice with the coded lenses I have, and the information display within the camera works very well for me, especially when in the manual mode, because the match-needle shows how far off center the exposure is at any given time.

So I'm very pleased to be using the Leitax adapted Leica R lenses on the camera, mostly in full manual mode. My only wish is that the grid screen were available in the 'M' style, because without the classic split center and microprism collar of older MF cameras, the standard and grid screens can be a bit hard to verify accurate focus if I'm trying to employ shallow DOF.

---Michael

doug

For those of you who have used non-native mount lenses such as leitax-converted R lenses, have there been any issues with non-linear metering such as happens with some Canon bodies?

edwardkaraa

If I remember correctly, the exposure was a bit over below 2.8 and gradually under as you stop down. At 8, the underexposure exceeds 1 stop.