The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A900 comparisons

doug

A900 users - what do you like about the camera, what other full-frame DSLR cameras have you used, and how do you like the viewfinder for manual focus?

msadat

Looking for a dmr alternative ? Doug
View finder excellent I sold my only manual focus lens the minolta 135 STF when I got this camera, did not work for me. Best bet is a canon body with split focus screen and good adapters with the chip, most even have micro focus adjustments built in

Me,sold my dmr/r lens and moved on

Paratom

I only have limited experience with an A900 and a 24-70.
My comparisons were D700,K5 and S2.
What I like about the A900 (with the 24-70):
Color, great tonality,sharp, AF seems to work pretty reliable (I can only speeak about static things because I havent used it for sports), I like in particular the viewfinder, in body IS.
If I didnt have the S2 I would keep the A900 and add more lenses.
I would give the edge over the D700 in color, tones, viewfinder for the A900.

Mark K

I have been using 5D II and sometimes D700 along with my Sony A850, a sibling of A900. What I like Sony is its colour, legendary lens, the mechanical design of its flash gun, inbody IS for prime lenses.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
I simply like the look of the files, SOOC (Raw, C1Pro6x).

I like the experience of shooting the A850; it feels like a camera, rather than a computer.

Re. MF: I have only used that with the 100/2.8 macro, and it works. The finder is very workable in that regard (plus it has focus confirmation).

AF is not as fast or as accurate as AF with D3 or D3s Nikon bodies, but perfectly acceptable.

I shoot tethered for focus-critical table-top work.

I have used 1Ds, 5D, D700, and the other Nikon bodies mentioned above.

bensonga

Both Doug and I are thinking of a Sony A900 as the digital platform for our Leica R lenses (if Sigmacumlaude can make a Sony Alpha=>Leica R mount conversion). I had been putting my hopes on a Sigma SD1....until I saw the expected pricing.

I've heard rumors that the Sony 850/900 may be the end of the line for this system. Although it wouldn't be the first time I have bought into an "dead end" camera system, I was hoping to avoid that in this go round. I suppose if the quality of image files and usability re manual focus lenses from the A900 is good enough, then it might be worth the risk....

Gary

edwardkaraa

There is a chance they might be the end of the line as far as OVF are concerned. But even then a high quality EVF could be exactly your best choice for alt lenses due to high magnification live view and focusing at working aperture.

pegelli

For Leica R conversions also look at Leitax mount swaps. Very good quality and fully reversible. Lots of positive experiences on the net.

About 1/2 year ago there was an interview with a high Sony official saying the next FF would still be OVF, but that they were looking at FF EVF's for after that. Take it al with a grain of salt, but I don't think Sony FF is end of the line (yet)

doug

For Leica R conversions also look at Leitax mount swaps. Very good quality and fully reversible. Lots of positive experiences on the net.
Unless you also want to use the lenses on an R8/DMR. The idea was a backup for the DMR.

douglasf13

There is a chance they might be the end of the line as far as OVF are concerned. But even then a high quality EVF could be exactly your best choice for alt lenses due to high magnification live view and focusing at working aperture.

Yeah, a 24x36 camera with an EVF and focus peaking would be a manual focusing dream.

mjm6

I suspect that after using an a900 or it's replacement, you won't really feel the need to use the R8/DMR much anymore. I think you ought to go to a camera store and work with an a900/a850 a little and you may see what I mean.

After using Canon gear for 25+ years, I switched to the a900 immediately after using one for a little while. It is a vastly superior VF to any of the current Canon gear, and I feel the color reproduction is more natural as well. Since the Leitax adapters are available, I was able to adapt my (at the time) small collection of Leica R glass to work directly, and have since then added a handful of other R lenses.

I don't shoot a lot of telephoto images, so I can't speak to the camera with long lenses, but I feel it handles very nicely with normal and wide focal lengths. I don't think it is quite as comfortable as the Canon cameras in the grip, but I much prefer it to any Nikon camera I've used recently. If you put an AS plate on the bottom, you can get one that will permit a hand grip to be used. I find I prefer that approach to a neck strap most of the time.

Just my opinion, but I think the a900 camera is special, and while it may not be followed-up successfully (we'll see!), I'm going to be happily using mine for a good long time. If the new version looks to be a step backward, I'll probably purchase a second before it is too late.

---Michael

ryc

I truly wish I had my 850 or 900 again. It was probably one of the best image rendering camera I have ever had. The colors are superior to anything out there currently even my D3S. I switched systems because I wanted to use more Zeiss and old Nikon glass which I really enjoy. But the Sony is simply a joy to use and I think one day, I will own one again. Even if with just one lens for landscape work. To be honest, the A900 with the 85 and 135 was my inspiration for creating ZeissImages.com. It all started thanks to the Sony/Zeiss combo.

Here are hundreds of pictures with the A900 and A850 just for inspiration :)

http://zeissimages.com/standardgallery.php?cameraused=DSLR-A850&showall
http://zeissimages.com/standardgallery.php?cameraused=DSLR-A900&showall

surfotog

The A900 is the only FF digital I've used. It's viewfinder is top notch, and the camera itself is wonderfully simple. As others have said, you feel like you're using a camera, not a computer.
Doug, I know you shoot primarily with telephoto lenses, and can tell you that last winter I did some shooting with a Pentax 67 300/4 ED IF on the A900 with the
M screen, often stopped down to f/8, and had no trouble focusing.

Yeah, a 24x36 camera with an EVF and focus peaking would be a manual focusing dream.
I thought I did not want an EVF and did not really cared about the a900 successor ...until I saw the focus peaking videos. Now I just can hope that it reaches the a900 lineage in an hybrid form of O/EVF.

doug

I suspect that after using an a900 or it's replacement, you won't really feel the need to use the R8/DMR much anymore.
Have you used a DMR? The photographer I bought a DMR from replaced it with the A900 and said he liked the DMR colors better. It may be subjective but the DMR's files really are superb. I also question whether there's much that can out-shine the 280mm f/4 APO and if at all possible I want to retain the 280's auto-diaphragm function, which means the DMR would be the primary camera.

The responses here are quite encouraging and thanks to everyone, keep them coming!

jonoslack

HI Doug
I had a D3 and D700 - it took just an afternoon with the A900 and the 24-70 to make me sell all my collection of Nikon glass, and the bodies.
That was when the A900 first appeared, and I still love the simplicity and handling of the camera and the bright and lovely viewfinder, but the real buzz is the files, which are really excellent.

I don't do much telephoto work either, but I really can't see it being a problem.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Have you used a DMR? The photographer I bought a DMR from replaced it with the A900 and said he liked the DMR colors better. It may be subjective but the DMR's files really are superb. I also question whether there's much that can out-shine the 280mm f/4 APO and if at all possible I want to retain the 280's auto-diaphragm function, which means the DMR would be the primary camera.
It's hard to argue against a DMR and 280/4 - that's really an exceptional combination.

edwardkaraa

The problem is, they keep on discontinuing the good stuff, and replacing it with lesser stuff, and in the case of the DMR, end of the line. No wonder why people get attached to a certain look even if the general quality of the file is a bit outdated. I wish we could go back in time about 10 years and stop the time there :D