The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony A77

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Sony will announce the A77, A65, NEX-7, (probably a NEX-5N and VG20 too) and the new
16-50mm f/2.8 SSM and 24mm f/1.7 Zeiss E-mount lens (+ 50mm and 55-210mm) on August 23.
Why do you know? DO you work for Sony?

Greetings from Austria to Austria ;)

ptomsu

Workshop Member
It has been leaked by several sources, including Sony Alpha Rumors, David Kilpatrick and Carl Garrard.
Ok, then I missed it - just a day or so where you do not check and these things happen :D

But I am still sceptic as there have been similar rumors already around for several times (BTW same is true for Nikon and Canon) and most of them just proved to be hot air.

Well let's see!

jonoslack

Ok, then I missed it - just a day or so where you do not check and these things happen :D

But I am still sceptic as there have been similar rumors already around for several times (BTW same is true for Nikon and Canon) and most of them just proved to be hot air.

Well let's see!
HI Peter
I don't think these are really 'rumours' - much more in the realm of viral marketing, so I think you can trust them - David Kilpatrick especially is not a purveyor of hot air.

all the best

jonoslack

I'm in the camp of wait and see.

I sold my A55 because I hated the EVF ... it was a novelty at first, then became an irritation. That has to improve to sway me back to any EVF.
HI There Marc
I hope you're well. Nice to see that you're still using the A900 and it's lovely files.

The A55 is an odd and interesting beast - I took mine to the Cambridge folk festival over the weekend, having not really used it much for some time. I just wanted something light and fun to shoot some of the bands with, I didn't really get up too close, and I was shooting with the 70-300 G lens (again, it's light and convenient).

The first point was how useful the EVF was - in those circumstances being able to see the 'actual' exposure in the viewfinder was a real bonus in quickly changing lighting situations. The high ISO and image stabilisation worked well, the AF was spot on, and almost every shot came out well. I wouldn't swap an OVF for an EVF yet - but if the A77 viewfinder is as good as it's cracked up to be, then I think we have a very interesting prospect on our hands.

As for a higher MP A99, for those of you with an S2 or another MF camera, it's not of much value - for those of us who don't, but would like to have that kind of results, then it's an enticing proposition - even if in the end it doesn't really improve things - we'll have to wait and see! Once again, I think the A77 is a really interesting indicator of what's to come - if this sensor proves to give us some benefits over the excellent 16mp sensor, then I guess the same may be true for a high MP full frame sensor.

To my mind the A77 is perhaps the most important new camera to come out for a number of years - it's indicating a different way forward for the stills camera. It's not so much that the A77 itself is important, more that it seems to be some kind of split in the road, it might be a dead end, but I suspect not.

all the best

fotografz

HI There Marc
I hope you're well. Nice to see that you're still using the A900 and it's lovely files.

The A55 is an odd and interesting beast - I took mine to the Cambridge folk festival over the weekend, having not really used it much for some time. I just wanted something light and fun to shoot some of the bands with, I didn't really get up too close, and I was shooting with the 70-300 G lens (again, it's light and convenient).

The first point was how useful the EVF was - in those circumstances being able to see the 'actual' exposure in the viewfinder was a real bonus in quickly changing lighting situations. The high ISO and image stabilisation worked well, the AF was spot on, and almost every shot came out well. I wouldn't swap an OVF for an EVF yet - but if the A77 viewfinder is as good as it's cracked up to be, then I think we have a very interesting prospect on our hands.

As for a higher MP A99, for those of you with an S2 or another MF camera, it's not of much value - for those of us who don't, but would like to have that kind of results, then it's an enticing proposition - even if in the end it doesn't really improve things - we'll have to wait and see! Once again, I think the A77 is a really interesting indicator of what's to come - if this sensor proves to give us some benefits over the excellent 16mp sensor, then I guess the same may be true for a high MP full frame sensor.

To my mind the A77 is perhaps the most important new camera to come out for a number of years - it's indicating a different way forward for the stills camera. It's not so much that the A77 itself is important, more that it seems to be some kind of split in the road, it might be a dead end, but I suspect not.

all the best
Thanks for the thoughts Jono. What I meant by "diminishing returns" is in reference to the limits of the 35mm film gate as opposed to competing with medium format and much larger sensors. To date, any major jump in meg count with the 35mm cameras has produced somewhat better files along with other interesting drawbacks.

Personally, I'm not against EVF, just skeptical until I see a decent improvement. From a practical POV, I'd like to see a major improvement in things like Sony AF speed and ability in low light with moving subjects ... and other smaller things that are of real world value, like time saving ZA lens correction profiles in LR, some sort of separate master flash trigger like Nikon has ... and other things of that nature.

-Marc

jonoslack

Hi Marc
Thanks for the thoughts Jono. What I meant by "diminishing returns" is in reference to the limits of the 35mm film gate as opposed to competing with medium format and much larger sensors. To date, any major jump in meg count with the 35mm cameras has produced somewhat better files along with other interesting drawbacks.
I understand exactly what you mean - but until we get a major jump in MP count which doesn't produce better files - I'm hanging in there! If a 36mp 35mp sensor doesn't come up with the goods, that's the time I'll be seriously considering the S2 again - until then I'm living in hope. Certainly the jump to 24mp with the A900 was worth the candle.

Personally, I'm not against EVF, just skeptical until I see a decent improvement.
I quite agree that it needs improving, but even now there are circumstances where it's worthwhile (e.g. the concert situation). The focusing on the A55 wasn't too bad either.
From a practical POV, I'd like to see a major improvement in things like Sony AF speed and ability in low light with moving subjects ... and other smaller things that are of real world value, like time saving ZA lens correction profiles in LR, some sort of separate master flash trigger like Nikon has ... and other things of that nature.

-Marc
Yes indeed - Sony still has a way to go in terms of system - flash doesn't impact me so much as I try not to use it! I do agree about the low light AF speed. It just feels to me right now that they're trying to get there. We shall see!

fotografz

Hi Marc

I understand exactly what you mean - but until we get a major jump in MP count which doesn't produce better files - I'm hanging in there! If a 36mp 35mp sensor doesn't come up with the goods, that's the time I'll be seriously considering the S2 again - until then I'm living in hope. Certainly the jump to 24mp with the A900 was worth the candle.

I quite agree that it needs improving, but even now there are circumstances where it's worthwhile (e.g. the concert situation). The focusing on the A55 wasn't too bad either.

Yes indeed - Sony still has a way to go in terms of system - flash doesn't impact me so much as I try not to use it! I do agree about the low light AF speed. It just feels to me right now that they're trying to get there. We shall see!
Jono, I'm sure that a more megs will produce better files. How much better, and at what price is the question? The D3X was a leap for Nikon, but in the end it just wasn't worth the post work needed to realize the benefit. The fact that the A900 is/was 24 meg was far less important to me compared to the color quality out of the camera. IMO, 24 meg is pushing the envelope for 35mm and what 35mm tends to be used for.

The penalty for hand-holding a 35 meg DSLR will be interesting to experience. The only reason for bigger files is bigger prints or more cropping severity ... in both cases, any flaw in technique will be magnified. Users of MFD know this concept well, and a smaller 35mm camera with less mass will be a true test of this phenomena.

And yes, it remains to be seen since there are no 35 meg DSLRs yet. Thus, I am in the "wait and see" camp.

My concern for Sony remains that it is not a full system that caters to both the professional and advanced enthusiast ... the very people who would have use of a 35 meg FF camera. I suppose if the faithful clamor for more megs, that is where the focus will be ... instead of smaller things that will actually make a big difference in day-to-day shooting.

While you may try to not use flash (as do I), a vast majority of portrait and wedding photographers do need it (as do I). The Nikon system is testimony of its importance as a system component. Not to mention that when the meg count goes up, the tendency has been to need more light to realize the benefit.

Just my opinion, but it wouldn't matter if the DSLRs go to 50 meg ... they will never equal the IQ of a MFD camera properly used ... real estate just can't be overcome. So, I do wish the DSLR companies would get off the meg band-wagon, and get on with making the cameras more useful for everyday shooting ... much better AF, much easier processing, more versatility in practical accessories, and so on. There are no T/S optics from Sony ... especially useful would be a T/S macro. No true flash system for the "strobists" enthusiasts. The A900 takes two cards, but can't shoot to both of them (how hard would that be to accomplish?) ... I could laundry list a host of other things. Instead we get even more meg, and in-camera pano jpegs, and other novelties which get used a few times and forgotten.

Frankly, I do not need another camera. I need to make more use of the ones I have already paid for. I bought into the A900 because it held promise as a serious system going forward ... it appeared to be a great start ... I am now worried that it was the end.

-Marc

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Jono, I'm sure that a more megs will produce better files. How much better, and at what price is the question? The D3X was a leap for Nikon, but in the end it just wasn't worth the post work needed to realize the benefit. The fact that the A900 is/was 24 meg was far less important to me compared to the color quality out of the camera. IMO, 24 meg is pushing the envelope for 35mm and what 35mm tends to be used for.

The penalty for hand-holding a 35 meg DSLR will be interesting to experience. The only reason for bigger files is bigger prints or more cropping severity ... in both cases, any flaw in technique will be magnified. Users of MFD know this concept well, and a smaller 35mm camera with less mass will be a true test of this phenomena.

And yes, it remains to be seen since there are no 35 meg DSLRs yet. Thus, I am in the "wait and see" camp.

My concern for Sony remains that it is not a full system that caters to both the professional and advanced enthusiast ... the very people who would have use of a 35 meg FF camera. I suppose if the faithful clamor for more megs, that is where the focus will be ... instead of smaller things that will actually make a big difference in day-to-day shooting.

While you may try to not use flash (as do I), a vast majority of portrait and wedding photographers do need it (as do I). The Nikon system is testimony of its importance as a system component. Not to mention that when the meg count goes up, the tendency has been to need more light to realize the benefit.

Just my opinion, but it wouldn't matter if the DSLRs go to 50 meg ... they will never equal the IQ of a MFD camera properly used ... real estate just can't be overcome. So, I do wish the DSLR companies would get off the meg band-wagon, and get on with making the cameras more useful for everyday shooting ... much better AF, much easier processing, more versatility in practical accessories, and so on. There are no T/S optics from Sony ... especially useful would be a T/S macro. No true flash system for the "strobists" enthusiasts. The A900 takes two cards, but can't shoot to both of them (how hard would that be to accomplish?) ... I could laundry list a host of other things. Instead we get even more meg, and in-camera pano jpegs, and other novelties which get used a few times and forgotten.

Frankly, I do not need another camera. I need to make more use of the ones I have already paid for. I bought into the A900 because it held promise as a serious system going forward ... it appeared to be a great start ... I am now worried that it was the end.

-Marc
I agree with most of what you said, especially the fear that the A900 was a great start but not so much is going to follow to make this system a real pro system.

While I agree with the MF arguments WRT quality, I must say that this depends very much of the camera maker itself. Looking into M9 files with just 18MP, this already gives very good images which in case they are stiched can nicely rival 40MP MFDBs. Or even the 12MP of an E5 which uses just a very thin AA filter gives highest quality results which easily can hold up to the first 22MP backs some years ago.

Having said that I think if the Sony's and Nikon's and Canon's could come up with a high MP DSLR without or at least with very weak AA filter, the results would be on par with all existing 37-40MP MFD solutions. Whatever little margin you would win in terms of IQ because larger sensor, would be nicely made up by much greater choice in optics and higher ISO capability. And to be fair - the rest difference in IQ can be easily calculated away in SW. And even MFD relies meanwhile heavily on SW.

So I am holding my breath for the next generation of high res DSLRs from all the obvious brands and then would probably sell My H3D39 and not upgrade to an H4D60.

And I think I am not the only one with that evolution in mind :D

MPK2010

NEX-7 looks great. I saw a thread recently I think on FM re the edge color shift issue with rangefinder lenses being mitigated somewhat even on NEX-C3 -- that'd be a nice twist for the NEX-7 too.

Not really in the market for a DSLR but the A77 developments look promising.

fotografz

I agree with most of what you said, especially the fear that the A900 was a great start but not so much is going to follow to make this system a real pro system.

While I agree with the MF arguments WRT quality, I must say that this depends very much of the camera maker itself. Looking into M9 files with just 18MP, this already gives very good images which in case they are stiched can nicely rival 40MP MFDBs. Or even the 12MP of an E5 which uses just a very thin AA filter gives highest quality results which easily can hold up to the first 22MP backs some years ago.

Having said that I think if the Sony's and Nikon's and Canon's could come up with a high MP DSLR without or at least with very weak AA filter, the results would be on par with all existing 37-40MP MFD solutions. Whatever little margin you would win in terms of IQ because larger sensor, would be nicely made up by much greater choice in optics and higher ISO capability. And to be fair - the rest difference in IQ can be easily calculated away in SW. And even MFD relies meanwhile heavily on SW.

So I am holding my breath for the next generation of high res DSLRs from all the obvious brands and then would probably sell My H3D39 and not upgrade to an H4D60.

And I think I am not the only one with that evolution in mind :D
Stitching isn't an option ... except for stuff like landscapes, where MFD rules because you can put the sensor on a tech camera and use the best lenses available.

I don't agree that a weak AA filter will suddenly make a 35mm sensor the equal of a 645 sensor.

It also stands to reason that any SW technology that produces better files from 35mm can also be applied to MFD (like Capture One) ... so that isn't an advantage.

The 35mm IQ equal to a medium format has been the "Holy Grail" for decades and decades ... never happened, and IMO, it never will. My old 16 meg CFV produced better files than my 24 meg Sony ... but they are different animals to actually use. Which is my point in all this ... refine the 35mm cameras to do what they do best ... and make it better, faster AF, lower light, more versatile machines than they even are now.

-Marc

douglasf13

Wait....
why is there a ZA lens on the NEX-7, is this an alpha mount Nex????
has anyone else noticed this?
am
Notice it has an "E" in the designation. NEX is still considered part of the Alpha line, so it looks like their sticking with ZA for both e and a mounts.

Jim DE

That lens is supposed to be part of the new product rollout for Sony along with 2 others and 3 cameras ..... As rumored anyway ... We will see huh?