The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony A77

peterb

This whole thread has been interesting (to say the least). Regarding the A77, A65 and NEX 7 two things seem certain (at least according to the leak website, SAR): all three models will have a potentially amazing 24Mp EXMOR sensor with promising high ISO performance and DR. That, in and of itself, is significant.

And the 3 MP OLED EVF while not everyone's cup of tea will be nearly DOUBLE the resolution and clarity of the best anyone's currently experienced (namely Panasonic's EVF included G cams). Something I would not dismiss so quickly out of hand. And if you haven't seen the potential of OLED I suggest going to your nearest Sony Style store to see what they're like on their miniature DVD players for a sense of them. I think you can connect the dots rather quickly.

Finally all the 'leaked' images to date have been published with absolutely NO sense of scale whatsoever. All the comments of whether the 24mm Zeiss (in particular) is too big or not 'pancake' enough seem irrelevant without REALLY having had a chance to see and hold the thing for real. At first blush, based on some of the design cues in the purloined images and experience with the current NEX models it does, indeed, seem HUGE. But is it? Based on the leaked images, I for one really have no idea. And to dismiss the camera as unworthy for 'street' use because the lens protrudes too much seems waaaaaay premature. With no scale indications in the available images the lens I think gives the illusion of looking HUGE when it may, in fact, be far from it. (Is an M9 with a 24mm Summicron too huge? I don't think so.)

My guess is the NEX 7 body is going to be bigger than the current, uber-compact NEX bodies. A lot bigger. Certainly bigger than the Leica X1 or Fuji X100 and perhaps even a lot closer to the Leica M8/M9 in size and form. (Would that be a bad thing??). Not too honkin' huge a la DSLRs (like NEX 7's two beefier stable mates). That would make the 24mm lens in the same diminutive league as the M's 24mm. And if that's the case, then that lens won't be the horror show many have suggested. But, if the leaf shutter rumor I just heard is correct, might make this camera with it's promising HUGE sensor, extraordinary EVF, somewhat decent high ISO performance (if the new BIONZ image processor passes muster with everyone), robust, compact magnesium-clad body and from what I can tell excellent ergonomic design a camera that may very well finally, set the standard in the digital age.

With the A77/A65 (it's magnesium clad weather sealed and non-magnesium, non-weather sealed counterparts) offering an excellent albeit more traditional (and, alas, somewhat beefier) user experience.

Last edited:

douglasf13

Hi, Peter. There've already been sizing approximations done by various people, and it looks to be a little bigger than my NEX-5 with a leather half-case on it. So, while it is a little bigger than current NEX cameras, it isn't anywhere near M9 size. The Zeiss 24 in the rumored photos looks to be just a tad longer than the kit zoom.

dhsimmonds

The full specs of the A77 and it's derivatives can be seen from the following link: http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-the-full-a77-a65-nex-7-and-nex-5n-specs/

As a wildlife photographer I am particularly intrigued by the "smart tele 1.4 or 2.0 X converter" function. Is this just another name for a digital focal length extender or is there really something else going on that makes use of image resizing in PS redundant?!

Whichever which way, this is beginning to look some exciting camera and the much awaited A99 even more so: D

C

curious80

As a wildlife photographer I am particularly intrigued by the "smart tele 1.4 or 2.0 X converter" function. Is this just another name for a digital focal length extender or is there really something else going on that makes use of image resizing in PS redundant?!
I like this option. Most probably it is just going to be cropping - I doubt there would be much more to it, except that metering might be tuned to the crop instead of the full-image which would be nice to have. But I still think it would be a pretty useful option specially with a 24MP sensor which has lots of room for cropping.

iiiNelson

I'm not super familiar with the Sony Alpha lens lineup specs but will the 16-50/2.8 be the first weather resistent lens or are there others already? Otherwise it would seem that they will have to revamp some to compensate.

douglasf13

I'm not super familiar with the Sony Alpha lens lineup specs but will the 16-50/2.8 be the first weather resistent lens or are there others already? Otherwise it would seem that they will have to revamp some to compensate.
Compensate for what?

iiiNelson

Compensate for the lack of weather resistent lenses while having a few weather resistent bodies. Image quality has always been great with the stuff Sony has.

dhsimmonds

Yeah, the A700, A850 and A900 are all weathersealed. I've yet to hear of anyone having any failures, despite no lens seals.

This always comes to mind:http://www.swiatobrazu.pl/sony_dslr_a900_at_dakar_rally.html
Yes, I agree with Douglas. As wildlife is usually my 'thing' I tend to be out and about in all weathers, not just in damp 'ol England but also rain forests and deserts when travelling. None of my Sony gear including Sony/Zeiss lenses have ever let me down. It just isn't a consideration with their top end gear. :D

iiiNelson

One other question... How do the Zeiss 85 and 135 compare to each other? I wanted a portrait lens to add as well.

pegelli

Both are excellent lenses
The CZ 135/1.8 is generally a little sharper than the CZ 85/1.4, some people like the "drawing style" of the 85 better for portraits.
Bokeh quality is in the same league
The 135 might be a bit long as portrait lens on a A77/APS-C

So for me on FF it's a toss-up and depending on personal preference
On APS-C the 85 would probably a bit better than the 135

Have you looked at the sample images on Dyxum?
CZ85/1.4
CZ135/1.8

Last edited:
T

tigertimb

I like this option. Most probably it is just going to be cropping - I doubt there would be much more to it, except that metering might be tuned to the crop instead of the full-image which would be nice to have. But I still think it would be a pretty useful option specially with a 24MP sensor which has lots of room for cropping.
And someone mentioned over at Dyxum the possibility that maybe this could be used with video too - if true then it offers functionality beyond what can be achieved with post processing. (says someone who has almost no interest in video!)

jonoslack

If that IS the A77, I like the size and design a lot. If it does low light really well, I'm in. Can't wait.

-Marc
HI Mark
Won't the EVF put you off?
Personally I think it looks gorgeous, but it's bigger than I would have liked.
Is that the Zeiss 135? I wasn't sure

fotografz

HI Mark
Won't the EVF put you off?
Personally I think it looks gorgeous, but it's bigger than I would have liked.
Is that the Zeiss 135? I wasn't sure
Yes Jono, it'll put me off unless it is a substantial improvement over the A55 ... which it may well be. I'm more interested in the high ISO IQ as a suppliment to the A900 for wedding work.

-Marc

dhsimmonds

The A77 is reported to also incorporate an articulated LCD which could be very useful for the occasional awkward low or high level shot.

Marc, some of the latest Sony sensors are capable of incredible (by A900 standards) high ISO capability and at 24Mpx should be well capable of competing with today's FF cameras. The eventual "A99" should have incredible IQ if all this follows through!