The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony A77

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Douglas, if I invest $3,000 or more in a camera system, I don't want to "put on the .75x converter and slightly crop to about a 20mm equivalent". I would rather have a slightly larger lens that is sharp from corner to corner, than save 54g and 20mm on one lens. For m4/3 there are now 4 very good WA lenses available, 2 zooms and 2 primes. I fail to see how Sony would lack the ability to develop at least one very good WA zoom and one good prime. This seems to be a question of priorities and attitude. That is what worries me... or rather would have worried me if I had bought into the system, which I won't do at the moment.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
... or maybe I will :confused:

OM-2 plus NEX-7 and OM lenses, film and digital, 21, 35, 85 plus 135mm? Sounds like a nice travel kit :p

iiiNelson

@Jorgen I agree with what you are largely saying about the NEX system. There are more NEX body models than lenses so it's hard to take Sony serious about it. It's a great sensor and I've gotten good results out of the system. That being said a couple of low end zooms and a decent WA prime (for the money) leaves a lot to be desired. I was an early adopter in the NEX system because it seemed to provide noticeable sensor improvements over the Micro 4/3. What it doesn't provide is comparable lens quality. The Panasonic 14-45 kicks the crap out of the 18-55 Sony and I won't mention the 20, 45 Macro, or 7-14 WA Zoom. It's a big reason I went back to the G1 in favor of the NEX-5. (along with a M9 purchase.) I've taken some of my best pictures with the Micro 4/3 system but the Sony sensor is much better for low light.

I will see what the NEX-7 adds to the mix and of course the A77.

douglasf13

Douglas, if I invest $3,000 or more in a camera system, I don't want to "put on the .75x converter and slightly crop to about a 20mm equivalent". I would rather have a slightly larger lens that is sharp from corner to corner, than save 54g and 20mm on one lens. For m4/3 there are now 4 very good WA lenses available, 2 zooms and 2 primes. I fail to see how Sony would lack the ability to develop at least one very good WA zoom and one good prime. This seems to be a question of priorities and attitude. That is what worries me... or rather would have worried me if I had bought into the system, which I won't do at the moment.
Well, if we're going by reviews, the 12/2 still didn't get super sharp ratings corner to corner at Photozone, despite its size and cost. Better than the Sony 16? Surely, but I'm simply saying that I wouldn't add an entirely different camera body just for that lens, as you mentioned. Also, the 16mm has already been shown to have better corners on the NEX-C3, when compared to the NEX-5, so new tests are going to need to be made for the improved sensors. Fortunately, the wide angle zoom is on the Sony roadmap for next year.

douglasf13

@Jorgen I agree with what you are largely saying about the NEX system. There are more NEX body models than lenses so it's hard to take Sony serious about it. It's a great sensor and I've gotten good results out of the system. That being said a couple of low end zooms and a decent WA prime (for the money) leaves a lot to be desired. I was an early adopter in the NEX system because it seemed to provide noticeable sensor improvements over the Micro 4/3. What it doesn't provide is comparable lens quality. The Panasonic 14-45 kicks the crap out of the 18-55 Sony and I won't mention the 20, 45 Macro, or 7-14 WA Zoom. It's a big reason I went back to the G1 in favor of the NEX-5. (along with a M9 purchase.) I've taken some of my best pictures with the Micro 4/3 system but the Sony sensor is much better for low light.

I will see what the NEX-7 adds to the mix and of course the A77.
The 30 macro, 24 Zeiss, and 50/1.8 go a long way in adding value to the NEX system. Regardless, I'm sticking with rangefinder lenses.

iiiNelson

The 30 macro, 24 Zeiss, and 50/1.8 go a long way in adding value to the NEX system. Regardless, I'm sticking with rangefinder lenses.
I agree but they aren't here now and the NEX system has been out for almost a year and a half. In that time period all of the lenses I mentioned (plus the 3 original Olympus offerings that I don't own) were available on Micro 4/3. Nevermind that I haven't seen the performance yet. Believe me I really want the NEX to succeed because I still have my NEX-5 but it's collecting dust... figuratively.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Panasonic has announced that they are developing 12-35 and 35-100mm f/2.0 zooms for m4/3. That does it for me I suppose.

etrigan63

Jono,
did your retailer give you an ETA as to the arrival of your A77? I am keen to hear the opinion of someone who knows his way around rather than the bits I've been seeing. Phil's team does a fine job with the prerelease stuff, but it's a little hard to get feedback from them. I am interested in the A77's lowlight capabilities as compared to my D700.

All the best...

LizaWitz

In the early days of micro-4/3s there were just the kit lenses and a lot of complaints about lens quality. It took a couple years for there to be more than one good standard lens for that system. Seems lens production takes a long time to gear up (and lens design might as well) ... so I think it still is too early to expect great lenses for Sony. I think this Zeiss lens might be the sony equivalent of the Pana-Leica 20mm f1.7 for m4/3s-- the first "great" lens for the system.

Seems these adapters, even if they are hack solutions, are a great way to leverage existing lens collections onto the new platform, and make sense given that lenses always seem to take a long time to bring to market, even when they are "obviously" needed.

I think to the manufacturers, the kit zoom and a kit prime are what's needed first, and then, if the system is successful, they start on the other lenses.

pegelli

:OT:

Are we sliding the A77 thread to become a discussion forum for missing Nex lenses?

I think the A77 has sufficient high quality native Sony, heritage Minolta and 3rd party lenses to satisfy most users.

waynelake

LOL... I was thinking stick a 70-400 lens on it, and leave it there. Perfect for wildlife shots etc, especially with the 1.4x or 2x 12mp feature...

I could not find this feature in specifications at dpreview. It might be there and I missed it, however...
But at photographybay heres what they said.
http://www.photographybay.com/2011/...y-announced/?awt_l=Jrn9E&awt_m=JJxyR99jJv62xu

The Smart Teleconverter displays an enlarged central portion of the image sensor, allowing compositions to be displayed clearly on the OLED viewfinder and captured as 12 megapixel images with a digital zoom factor of 1.4x or 2x.
I thought a 400mm lens on crop body was a good minimum to have, 600mm or so, is now upto 1200mm easily...

Jim DE

Waynelake, that is pretty much my game plan for the a77.

I do most of my shots with my NEX 5 (landscapes/seascapes) and carry a a33 attached to a 70-400 in a camera/lens holster for any wildlife shots that might present themselves. A 24mp crop sensor on a G glass 70-400 just fits my needs and wants perfectly and is way cheaper than trying to chase down a fast long prime lens ( plus a lighter pkg to carry for my 5-7% usage requirements). The a77 also will work with the minolta 5600 wireless flash system for those extremely rare times I need that as well.

It was a hard decision for me whether to order the a77 or the NEX7 (and I may even own both eventually) but the a33 had some issues that did not suit my needs and so far the NEX 5 is still my more than acceptable workhorse so right now the a77 was more important to get first. Good ole dang needs and wants ..... Will put a retiree in the poor house ;););)

waynelake

I have a friend visiting each year from Europe. We are meant to be going to Stewart Island NZ (native birds) maybe February/March... I have not had a camera for a while, so now its no excuses... :poke:

I figure the 70-400 and A77 good high ISO would do instead of faster telephoto. The Zeiss 24 F2 would be nice, and I'm trying to figure out what the Leica fisheye works out to be on crop body. I've read its ?12mm or probably about 20mm. Either way, those 3 lenses could be a choice. Yeah, a 20, 35 equivalent and the big zoom... lol...

Oh...
I spotted at keh Minolta 300 2.8 APO for about $3000
...and Leica 400/800 lens head with 2.8 and 5.6 focus modules about $11,000
Thought the later probably a good price.

Mark K

I have just placed a reorder for a77. From the day of announcement, I have been balancing the benefits of Nex7 vs A77. No doubt I will also get Nex7 but the lack of auto-focusing lenses in Nex line is a quite disappointing and I hardly understand Sony's marketing ideas for this. I worried about Nex future as both Panasonic and Olympus have been putting so many good lenses to the customers. Recent month sales in Japan reflect this point.
I was thrilled about the new adapter but before that, a77 is a good alternative to the Nex7+adapter combo.

Jim DE

After looking around the web and the volume of "professor/engineering types" analyzing, dissecting, and throwing stones at available Internet images (as they did with the NEX5 and the first SLT's when launched) one has to question the logic of Sony's marketing strategies. They allow the release of pre production images months before production units are available and then the lovers and haters go to war! Each trying to go one up on the other using non-finalized images are a reference for debate. What the heck is that?

I watched this go on on nearly every new product launch and then finally when the product gets into customers hands all is well once again in the Sony user's world.

One really has to question the benefit of marketing in this manner. I know I would hold the product till it was finalized and ready to ship then announce it as I was shipping it to the wholesalers and eliminate all the possible customer in fighting that currently exists. Let the proof be in the pudding!

I think I will just stay here on this site till my product arrives as I am weary of the chaos on other sites about these products. C'mon late October ;)