The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony A77

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
I'm seriously considering an a77+vg and 70-400 to shoot wildlife. As someone who spend way too much time lugging around a Canon 1Ds2 and 600/4 on a Wimberley gimbal it would be a pretty stark contrast. I think this looks like it might be a dandy setup - perfectly competent at a very reasonable price point. Using the same batteries and lenses as the a850 is a big plus!

But I'd love to see some RAW file work in fat daylight at low ISO (up to 400, maybe 640) before placing my order... Hopefully raw converters will get updated soon. On the other hand, if I decide I don't like it it should be pretty easy to resell.

LizaWitz

The A77 sensor is really quite good:
http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Ne...-review-of-the-world-first-24-MP-APS-C-camera

Also, this blows away the claim that the high ISO performance is poor. When making that comparison, you have to account for the different pixel densities of the two cameras, otherwise you're comparing one of them with a couple stops less light hitting the sensor.

Which bodes very well for the NEX-7 which doesn't have to shoot thru the mirror.

dhsimmonds

I'm seriously considering an a77+vg and 70-400 to shoot wildlife. As someone who spend way too much time lugging around a Canon 1Ds2 and 600/4 on a Wimberley gimbal it would be a pretty stark contrast. I think this looks like it might be a dandy setup - perfectly competent at a very reasonable price point. Using the same batteries and lenses as the a850 is a big plus!

But I'd love to see some RAW file work in fat daylight at low ISO (up to 400, maybe 640) before placing my order... Hopefully raw converters will get updated soon. On the other hand, if I decide I don't like it it should be pretty easy to resell.
Hi Jan

Exactly the set up I shall be using with my A77 when I manage to get my hands on it! Also for the same reason!

I have every confidence in the Sony RAW files having used the A900 and A700 with Capture One Pro. It is only a matter of time before the third party RAW processing catches up. Apple's Aperture is usually the last!

jonoslack

Hi Jan

Exactly the set up I shall be using with my A77 when I manage to get my hands on it! Also for the same reason!

I have every confidence in the Sony RAW files having used the A900 and A700 with Capture One Pro. It is only a matter of time before the third party RAW processing catches up. Apple's Aperture is usually the last!
HI Dave
Aperture has been much better recently- in fact they beat Adobe to the punch on some of the recent cameras.

Also - it's actually very easy to change over - I've been shooting Raw+jpg, importing both with the jpg as master - then when support is available, you can highlight all shots right click and use RAW as master - keeping adjustments already made etc. (I did this with the E-P3 and it worked really well.)

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Yeah, I'm starting to think I should just order it...

dhsimmonds

I read somewhere that it is Sony's aim make tripod's obsolete with SteadyShot and excellent high ISO capability!

I bet the landscape fanatics won't agree with that statement though! The dreamy still water shots and cloud movements will still demand long exposures on a tripod. :rolleyes:

I have just been told that my A77 will be with me on the 10th October. I can hardly wait!

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I read somewhere that it is Sony's aim make tripod's obsolete with SteadyShot and excellent high ISO capability!

I bet the landscape fanatics won't agree with that statement though! The dreamy still water shots and cloud movements will still demand long exposures on a tripod. :rolleyes:

I have just been told that my A77 will be with me on the 10th October. I can hardly wait!
Please send your impressions about the A77 asap, I am very interested. I know I am a bad guy coming back to Sony :cool:;)

Peter

jonoslack

Please send your impressions about the A77 asap, I am very interested. I know I am a bad guy coming back to Sony :cool:;)

Peter
HI Peter
The results are soooo like the A900 - the handling is soooo like the A900 (just smaller) - the colour is soooo like the A900

Treat with care!

dhsimmonds

HI Peter
The results are soooo like the A900 - the handling is soooo like the A900 (just smaller) - the colour is soooo like the A900

Treat with care!
Well. that will put Peter off then!:ROTFL:

It is looking better and better for me though as it is all those things that i love about the A900. You didn't say that the viewfinder is "sooo" like the A900 though Jono! :rolleyes:

BTW I like your shot of the running deer! It's not really your kind of photography either Jono.

As hopefully now my A77 + 16-50 lens will be with me before I go to India at the end of the month; I was thinking of taking both the A77, 16-50 and 70-300 as we shall also be visiting a wildlife park (Tigers if we are lucky!). The 450 FL of the 70/300 on the A77 might be fine. It will save the weight and bulk of taking my 70-400 on the A900!

Last edited:

jonoslack

It is looking better and better for me though as it is all those things that i love about the A900. You didn't say that the viewfinder is "sooo" like the A900 thogh Jono! :rolleyes:
:ROTFL: Well it's about the same size - the information is complete and very clear, and except in very bright light I haven't honestly given it much of a thought - it seems to be very good.

The focusing isn't like the A900 either (not that the A900 was bad). It seems to be very fast and almost psychic.

ptomsu

Workshop Member

It is looking better and better for me though as it is all those things that i love about the A900. You didn't say that the viewfinder is "sooo" like the A900 though Jono! :rolleyes:

BTW I like your shot of the running deer! It's not really your kind of photography either Jono.

As hopefully now my A77 + 16-50 lens will be with me before I go to India at the end of the month; I was thinking of taking both the A77, 16-50 and 70-300 as we shall also be visiting a wildlife park (Tigers if we are lucky!). The 450 FL of the 70/300 on the A77 might be fine. It will save the weight and bulk of taking my 70-400 on the A900!
So reading through all this and knowing where I want to go there is not much putting me off anymore :D

jonoslack

So reading through all this and knowing where I want to go there is not much putting me off anymore :D
HI Peter
but I thought you really disliked the A900 - colour / ergonomics and lenses (not as good as Nikon).
I don't think anything has changed!

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Any thoughts on if it works with unchipped lenses, and if it can use SSS with an unchipped lens? I'm thinking of my M645 APO 200/2.8, with or without 2x extender, in particular.