The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony A77

dbogdan

I saw that also. I agree that I may not be able to shoot blind newts running through a cave at high ISO, but live view and focus peaking through an articulated finder opens up a new world for my aging eyes and back. If the image quality looks very close to my A900, I may be sold while waiting on the A99 . I even have thoughts of removing the translucent mirror altogether, for a bulk of my shooting (manual focus of course) if it proves out to increase acuity. I'd opt for the Nex7 but I find the hinged movement of the rear screen a bit limiting.
So far I'm liking what I'm seeing.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
@ Jono,

I am actually glad that there are also different results! I am seriously looking for that A77 as well, so I was shocked seeing that first comparisons.

Anyway it now tells me the following:

1) These samples clearly show that the A77 is leading

2) What needs real care are the tests of Dpreview, because they obviously focus on different parts of the subject while doing these test shots. This is ridiculous!

3) The E5 is still (although only 12MP) closely following the A77, far better that the D3S which I assume was in this part of the sample again out of focus.

Thanks always for sharing.

Peter

jonoslack

@ Jono,

I am actually glad that there are also different results! I am seriously looking for that A77 as well, so I was shocked seeing that first comparisons.

Anyway it now tells me the following:

1) These samples clearly show that the A77 is leading

2) What needs real care are the tests of Dpreview, because they obviously focus on different parts of the subject while doing these test shots. This is ridiculous!

3) The E5 is still (although only 12MP) closely following the A77, far better that the D3S which I assume was in this part of the sample again out of focus.

Thanks always for sharing.

Peter
Hi Peter
What it tells me is that it's not really worth drawing any conclusions about image quality from the dPreview comparisons; because the point of focus has more relevance than the actual quality of the image.

all the best

B

brian_harmon

Hi Peter
What it tells me is that it's not really worth drawing any conclusions about image quality from the dPreview comparisons; because the point of focus has more relevance than the actual quality of the image.

all the best
The exif info is pretty interesting here. no 2 images where taken with the same shutter speed, Fstop or focal length...........so what is actually being compared?

jonoslack

The exif info is pretty interesting here. no 2 images where taken with the same shutter speed, Fstop or focal length...........so what is actually being compared?
HI Brian
I think they try and keep the equivalent focal length and dof roughly the same by using f9 for APS/c and f6.5 for m4/3 Not sure about the D3s, but that's an old one anyway.

all the best

Paratom

Hi Peter

all the best
And it also proofs me that an accurate focusing - no matter if AF or manual or rangefinder - is essential-otherwise slight focus inaccurancies can kill the whole IQ of a good lens and sensor.

Lonnie Utah

Looks like the Firmware update is coming tomorrow (30 Sept 2011)....

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/good-news-new-a77-firmware-coming-soon-from-asia-coming-tomorrow/

Also an explanation as to what happened...

The new firmware will hopefully fix all issues we talked about in these days. As you know the problems was that the 1.02 firmware wasn’t updated for the new BIONZ processor which is used for the production camera. The pre production camera had a slightly different processor.
This would explain why none of the pre-testers experienced these issues...

etrigan63

Don't know if the new version supports NEX-7 raws yet. All of the test raws I have access to have bad exif data (camera name is MODEL NAME), otherwise expect v3.6 very soon.

dhsimmonds

There are rumours floating around that Sony have "pulled" the A77 from the UK market. http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/does...l-a77-orders-till-they-investigate-a-problem/

If this is true it is devastating news for the start of this camera.:mad:

On the other hand, all the reported problems from the first delivered batch could be corrected with a new firmware release which some sources say is due today?
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/good-news-new-a77-firmware-coming-soon-from-asia-coming-tomorrow/

I am just hoping that all the bugs are sorted before I get mine in 12 days time! :rolleyes:

jonoslack

There are rumours floating around that Sony have "pulled" the A77 from the UK market. http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/does...l-a77-orders-till-they-investigate-a-problem/

If this is true it is devastating news for the start of this camera.:mad:

On the other hand, all the reported problems from the first delivered batch could be corrected with a new firmware release which some sources say is due today?

I am just hoping that all the bugs are sorted before I get mine in 12 days time! :rolleyes:
HI There
I'm sure the camera is riddled with terrible bugs - but 1500 shots and much fiddling about, I'm completely without issues - seems grand to me.

Of course, I understand that, like all other cameras, there are issues at launch, which are going to be corrected with a firmware update. . . but, as I say, I've seen nothing of them (and nor has Silas). As far as I can see it works fine, in all circumstances, with all lenses, but I haven't used the video yet.

I don't know if it's been pulled from the UK market . . or they've simply run out, certainly my sister bought one on Monday.

Certainly, in your place, I wouldn't be worried about taking delivery in 12 days. I'm quite certain that if things need fixing, then they'll be fixed.

Unlike my NEX 5n which died this afternoon, and which will, presumably, have to go back to digital rev in Hong Kong :eek:

all the best

jonoslack

Yikes that is a PITA. Anything exciting fireworks happen or it just won't power on?
It worked fine for around 250 shots - then it started to freeze when I pressed the play button - taking the battery out allowed me to shoot again. . . . then it started saying NO CARD - I've tried 3 or 4 different cards all to no avail.

So I guess that now I'll find out whether DigitalRev really is good!

A77 is fine though. excellent.

all the best

jonoslack

With respect to problems reported on Alpha Rumors on the A77

1. freezing - it hasn't happened to me after over 1000 shots
2. losing focus points when using 3rd party lenses - again - I've tried various lenses, and it simply has not happened.
3. top LCD going blank - has not happened to me.
4. not saving DMF setting in memory bank (I just lost the will to live!) - can't be bothered to test it. If it's true they'll surely fix it.

I guess that these things may have happened to some people under some circumstances (or it could be some sort of spoiling campaign) - but we have 3 of these cameras in the family, and we've seen none of the problems.

all the best

Matix

Re: Sony A77 - It is working for me.

Well, only 3 days and 300 shots with an A77... side by side with my D7000 both with identical lenses, Tamron 17-50mm 2.8.

Preamble: I have to say, after moving from a D300 to the D7000 I was very quickly disenchanted with many issues, my issues not the plethora of comments from DPR members about oil spots, dead pixels, overexposure etc, but things that annoyed and frustrated me. I tried the GH1, GH2 for a year and then purchased a D7000 for the IQ and Speed.

After a couple of weeks fighting the lack of results from the D7000 with Out of Focus and Overexposure etc, when I could nail 90% of the shots with the D300, I went back to basics and tuned it to what had worked best in the D300.

That worked for me, and with the focusing now set to Single Point only and exposure to Centre Weighted I was close to getting the results I expected... mainly in the exposure area, it was very close now where overexposure had been the norm. Don't even talk about the matrix metering.... a bunch of other tweaks along the way and 7 months later it is doing the job ok.

The A77 by comparison, out of the box felt and worked much better than the first experiences with the D7000. Exposure and focus worked well, although better with the similar settings to the D7000, so much so after a couple of hours I did not want to put it down.

Many are talking about the noisy sensor at high ISO... I have tested both cameras, this is my opinion for what it is worth... there is little if any difference in the quality of a simple jpg out of camera with default P mode settings in either the A77 or Nikon. In good light, they are both excellent...some colour differences but that is normal. As the light degrades and shadows deepen, and the ISO goes up, the D7K has a slight edge at from 400 to 800 ISO, and gains more edge over the A77 which is still reasonable up to 1600 ISO and generally recoverable in RAW up to 3200 ISO... then, well we know the facts after that, reality kicks in.

But seriously, how many serious photographers shoot at higher ISO than 1600 regularly, most I know and semi pro photogs, use the lowest ISO they can... 100-200 if possible.

I use up to 1600 ISO when shooting birds in flight to get the shutter speed, but for most of my work I use 400 or less.

I really like the EVF, articulated LCD and the general responsiveness.. so far it is doing what I need. The focus and exposure is spot on in my opinion, I have not spent much time yet with the RAW and Capture One 6, no time yet but I am sure the IQ will be better.

Phil

A few out of camera JPG example shots:

SONY SLT-A77V, f/3.2 @ 17 mm, 1/60, ISO 400, No Flash

SONY SLT-A77V, f/8 @ 35 mm, 1/320, ISO 200, Cropped 20% No Flash

SONY SLT-A77V, f/7.1 @ 45 mm, 1/250, ISO 200, Cropped 60% No Flash

dhsimmonds

Thanks Jono, that's reassuring regarding your own A77. Sorry to learn of your Nex 5n problems so good luck with your HK supplier!

You could be right about a "spoiler" campaign though as far as A77 rumours go. I ordered mine via the Sony Centre in Salisbury, so I am not too bothered as it will go back pronto if it doesn't perform!

I have heard that many of the so called internet "rumour" sites are manufacturer sponsored and even receive deliberate leaks about forthcoming launch dates, updates etc from the relevant manufacturer, A sort of "off side" form of PR marketing. :rolleyes:

As a one time marketing director, I couldn't possibly comment! :ROTFL:

Matix

Great shots, nothing wrong with your A77!

fotografz

With all the expected raging enthusiasm of early adopters, it is a bit difficult to sort out the true functionality and ability of this camera :rolleyes:

The notion that "who cares about high ISO", and "most pros and semi-pros shoot at 100 or 200 anyway", is something of red flag, since most anything on the market does really well at low ISOs. Sounds suspiciously like it isn't quite advancing the cause, and meeting expectations.

I get the appeal of a smaller camera, etc. etc. ... that interest me also, if for no other reason than as second camera to the A900. But it has to do something the A900 can't. In the opinion of those exploring this camera in hand, what might that be?

I'm not talking about video, or circus tricks to entertain the bored ... real world stuff. Does it have less lag? Shoot at relatively higher ISOs with exceptional IQ (so more available light can be done with lenses like the ZA24/2), does it focus faster in low light, and is it as accurate as the A900? (one of the A900's strengths over camera's like the Canon 5D-II). How's the out -of-camera color at ISO 400, 800 and 1,000 compared to the A900? Can it actually produce a usable image at ISO 3200/6400? ... yes, as a Pro, I would use 3200/6400, and I have pushed my A900 to do so in certain situations.

Not trying to be a wet blanket here, and no offense to buyers, just asking what this pup can do?

-Marc

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member

Not trying to be a wet blanket here, and no offense to buyers, just asking what this pup can do?
To me it's that it can produce better results than a TC on the a850. No loss of light. Exposure takes only the crop into consideration. The AF points are laid out for the crop size, not FF. So I see a high resolution APS-C camera as useful solely for reach. The fact that it's smaller is nice as well, but it's not small enough for it to have value in itself IMO. Also, to me the EVF is a step back, but I can probably live with it.

Video, articulating LCD, etc etc - I couldn't care less about. With an EVF it doesn't need the back LCD at all IMO. Take that out and have it sightly concave on the back to better rest against my head/face. Then we'd get an ergonomic trade-up to compensate for the EVF trade-down. Take a look at the Nikon F5 to see what I mean with concave back: