The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

If this is really the Nex-7

douglasf13

I hear you about the HVL F20, but Sony would have to figure out a way to deter people from mounting the bigger flashes.

Bugleone

monza,....how do you get around the NEX's preflash as that slave unit appears to NOT be adjustable?

monza

Pre flash has not been an issue....it just works...I have two other slave units that are not adjustable either, and they both work as well, although they are not as convenient in terms of size.

monza

The rumor page states the viewfinder will be like the X100, although I doubt this...it's probably just an EVF, not a hybrid.

douglasf13

Yeah, my guess is that it'll only be an EVF, but maybe it'll incorporate the same EVF trick as the X100. The X100's EVF is projected from the side into a prism that redirects the image out of the viewfinder. This would let Sony have a more sleek, "rangefinder" design to the top plate, rather than the long "prism" hump that most EVF cams have. See bottom right pic:

Jim DE

Douglas I just saw a post that the announcement of the NEX7 may be within 14 days. We'll have our many questions and concerns answered right after that huh? I hate waiting for anything :(

What's worse is I have been recovering from a surgery the past 2 weeks and between that and my meds all I have is the net to keep me busy being as I can't go anywhere. Time is dragging and I almost caught myself pushing the buy button on a a900 a couple days ago .... Dang drugs ;););)

douglasf13

To tell you the truth, I'm not ALL that excited for a NEX-7, but, if it does have a 24mp sensor, I may bite, since I think that resolution will make enough of a difference at my normal print size. It'll truly be like a mini-Hasselblad, at that point. :) The NEX-7 had better have a tilt up screen, though!

Boy, you still can't go wrong with the A900. Awesome camera.

Jim DE

Douglas, I agree totally ... It better have a tilting screen the EVF really doesn't interest me much.... I have been spoiled and luv it ;)

Shhhh it was really too close I had the buy it button pushed and was debating the type service contract before I came to my senses and decided to wait for the new NEX7/a77 announcement. Not that the a900 isn't a great FF camera because it is. It's just not the direction a retired guy on a fixed income needs to go when most of his current glass may or may not work on it. I could see $3k worth of new glass purchases needing to be made as well. All my glass works on a NEX or crop frame SLTs.

Jonas

Romours are rumours. But... I would buy that rumoured Nex7 in a heartbeat if it was offered to me.
I certainly don't mind a viewfinder, more pixels are always welcome, a hotshoe instead of the silly screw-in thing doesn't hurt, more control wheels are great, a somewhat larger camera is just right and so on.

Now if the CV 35/1.2 also could appear in real life...

regards,

Jonas

jonoslack

Romours are rumours. But... I would buy that rumoured Nex7 in a heartbeat if it was offered to me.
I certainly don't mind a viewfinder, more pixels are always welcome, a hotshoe instead of the silly screw-in thing doesn't hurt, more control wheels are great, a somewhat larger camera is just right and so on.

Now if the CV 35/1.2 also could appear in real life...

regards,

Jonas
Absolutely Jonas. If that's what it is its a no brainer

jonoslack

I find the Nex-5 to be a sensational little camera. A 24mp version would be hard to resist. In fact I wouldn't even try..
Exactly. But we shouldn't get grand ideas about hybrid viewfinders. I really don't think they're a starter unless you have a fixed focal length lens. If that NEX 7 image is real, then the viewfinder is an EVF

Quentin_Bargate

Exactly. But we shouldn't get grand ideas about hybrid viewfinders. I really don't think they're a starter unless you have a fixed focal length lens. If that NEX 7 image is real, then the viewfinder is an EVF
Jono, like you I prefer optical viewfinders, but I can adapt to EVF's and even focusing using the rear screen. If it has a hot shoe, perhaps an accessory OVF could emerge later if there is enough demand.

Quentin

peterb

My guess is this EVF will be a monumental leap over what we've experienced so far with cameras from Panasonic and now Fuji. Those cameras, as many of you know, had EVF's that came in at the 1.44 MP range and were current (or traditional I suppose) LCDs while the Sony will supposedly be offering an EVF comprised of a 3 MP OLED which from what I can surmise could be nothing short of dazzlingly sharp and clear. Astonishingly close to an OVF with a VERY bright lens.

Combine that with its also rumored 24mp APSC sensor along with a worthy Zeiss optic or two that's been suggested (the 24mm f1.8 is a fabulous start) and hopefully a somewhat quiet shutter and I am very much looking forward to making this my new walkabout and go to camera.

hot

Even a 3 mpixel OLED viewer of NEX7 makes a very good NEX5 place 10.
24 mpixel is okay, but not soooo urgent.

S

Spyder

I very much like the design and if the 24MP sensor is noise-clean up to ISO1600 at least, it'll be an excellent companion to my A900 ( currently that job belongs to an A55 ).

Terry

The little bit bigger size is probably a good thing with EVF, especially for left eye folks, gives your right hand somewhere to sit other than poking your right eye out.