The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Crazy? Canon 1DIV to Sony A900

dmeckert

This is an interesting thread...I'm definitely going to keep an eye on it.

I've been totally reevaluating my kit this summer, selling things I don't use, and refining the things I do.

I'm currently shooting a d300 and mamiya AFDIII+leaf aptus 22. I'm sort of auditioning the mfdb, to see if it's really something that fits my shooting. I bought it extremely reasonably, so can take quite a bit of equity out if I decide against keeping it.

I'm watching rumors, and am looking forward to this fall's announcements. I want to move up from 12mp dx for a host of reasons. I definitely can't afford a d3x style body...so it's wait and see what they do with the d700 replacement. I'd love the latest greatest sensor, but I'm doubtful nikon is goin to put that in that body first. Though I'd be thrilled. It looks like Sony will be really packing their next FF chip, but I'm concerned about the future with them. I don't need pro support, and I'd be perfectly fine with the current ZA lens lineup. It's just disconcerting to make a big change like that when you're betting on the underdog. :/

It's an interesting conundrum.

C

curious80

Sony has not so far targeted the pro market and even going forward it does not seem to be their focus. But at the same time it does allow Sony to "innovate" more as they don't have a "pro user base" to keep happy and thus don't have to stick to traditional designs. As an example I believe that despite the beauty of the OVF's, EVF's will eventually replace the OVFs and can offer many advantages to the professional market as well.

As an example, imagine a consolidated 1Ds VI from canon which is say a full frame 5-6 fps camera like current 1Ds series. But with the flick of a switch it turns to APS-H mode like current 1D series offering the extra "reach" and higher fps (10, 12 whatever) for the action shooters. With the EVF the viewfinder automatically adjusts to show the APS-H view for framing, making this scheme very practical and feasible. However due to the traditional pro user base, it will be difficult for canon to launch such a camera even if they technically believe it to be the right thing to do.

As an example I believe that despite the beauty of the OVF's, EVF's will eventually replace the OVFs and can offer many advantages to the professional market as well.
Perhaps, but I have yet to find a EVF that works well in bright sun.

However due to the traditional pro user base, it will be difficult for canon to launch such a camera even if they technically believe it to be the right thing to do.
Not really an issue. 1Ds viewfinder with 1D crop marks would work fine. Anyone who has shot with Leica (M or DMR) is used to this. Didn't the Nikon D2x work this way too?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I also think EVFs will be the future, they are cheaper to manufacture and work well in consumer cameras. But even as an ambitious amateur I would not be happy with an EVF, and as a Pro I must say that EVFs are simply far away from being where they finally should be.

So shoot all those years with a suboptimal EVF? Not what I want.

And WRT to system - I have changed systems so often that I am happy if I find one which serves my needs for the next 3 years. And then it would be ok to move to the next system - say from Canon to Sony or Nikon.

There is no single vendor offering the perfect system and their lineup constantly changes. When trying to adjust to the best suitable system this means constant change :D At least I gave up on this one long time ago :cool:

douglasf13

I've said it before, but, as someone who has shot everything from Hasselblad to the A900, I find the live histogram and manual focusing of the LCD/EVF so valuable that I'm not sure I'd even want to go back to a digital camera with an OVF. I would have never guessed that I would say such a thing a year or two ago.

C

curious80

Perhaps, but I have yet to find a EVF that works well in bright sun.
What problems did you face with EVFs in bright sun? Personally I didn't have any problem using the Panasonic G1 EVF in bright sun.

Not really an issue. 1Ds viewfinder with 1D crop marks would work fine. Anyone who has shot with Leica (M or DMR) is used to this. Didn't the Nikon D2x work this way too?
Most professional Canikon users are not leica M users. And unlike Leica users, Canikon professional users do need to use lenses longer than 90mm :) This would hardly be a satisfactory way to frame for DSLR users. I believe D700 and D3 do operate this way in 1.6x mode. However the small view within the 1.6x framelines would rival a 4/3rds viewfinder in its small-ness :). An EVF based approach would on the other hand keep the full-size and precise 100% view in any crop mode.

In any case you have just proven my point right with your comment :) - that the traditional user base resists such drastic changes like OVF to EVF etc. Sony does not have any such traditional professional user base so they have less limitations in terms of what new avenues to explore.

Jim DE

I am kinda exactly in Douglas's camp with this. I have gotten very comfortable with live view in my photography and no matter how good the camera if I moved to one without live view I would feel like I had lost something too valuable and would not make the move. I have shot photos since the early 60's and would also never believed I would feel this way even a few years back.

I can deal with the LCD/EVF issues that current models exhibit better than not having LCD/EVF at all.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I've said it before, but, as someone who has shot everything from Hasselblad to the A900, I find the live histogram and manual focusing of the LCD/EVF so valuable that I'm not sure I'd even want to go back to a digital camera with an OVF. I would have never guessed that I would say such a thing a year or two ago.
I still feel disconnected with an EVF, I can talk about the ones from Olympus PEN and Panasonic GH2 - arguably very good, but still far away from what I would like to see.

Doug, I'm with you on Live View in a studio or somewhat controlled situations. That said, they don't work all the time in all situations and like I said, I can't see the LCD's that well in bright sun. Granted my only experience there is the Sony and Panasonic GF1. That is one of the reasons I like Canon, the ability to seamlessly switch back and forth. I'm sure current Nikons do it too, but no experience there.

I'm being selfish and talking about my needs and how/where I shoot, which I know are not the same as everyone else.

To your point Doug, I love live view when in a situation where it works. It makes me feel like I'm shooting a Mamiya RB again.

What problems did you face with EVFs in bright sun? Personally I didn't have any problem using the Panasonic G1 EVF in bright sun.
I can't see the screen well enough to compose a shot.

Most professional Canikon users are not leica M users. And unlike Leica users, Canikon professional users do need to use lenses longer than 90mm This would hardly be a satisfactory way to frame for DSLR users.
While I see your point in theory, I have a hard time seeing it in practice. I shot for two years or more with a Leica DMR on lenses from 15 to 400 and the crop screen never bothered me. That said, I have never shot sports or anything fast moving using Live View with a Hoodman loupe taped to the LCD. Perhaps that would change my mind.

In any case, the OP asked whether moving from Canon to Sony for his studio photography needs made sense and we have strayed pretty far from that.

C

curious80

I can't see the screen well enough to compose a shot.
We are talking about EVFs, not LCD screens. Unlike Gf1 and Sony NEX, cameras like Panasonic G1/G2/GH1/GH2 or Sony A55 etc have OVF-like electronic viewfinders which avoid this problem and feel like OVF's in many ways.

In any case, the OP asked whether moving from Canon to Sony for his studio photography needs made sense and we have strayed pretty far from that.
Agreed :)

dhsimmonds

On the OVF/EVF issue, surely Fujifilm have shown the way with a switchable OVF/EVF on their excellent little X100? If this idea could be designed into a conventional DSLR we would have the best of both worlds.

I could live with the next generation A900 if it had a combined OVF/EVF but not if it just had some sort of EVF only.

Even with the X100 I find that I lose the "immediacy" of the target image in EVF mode so I usually frame in EVF and immediately switch to OVF without taking my eye off the subject and just as I press the shutter release. For me it works!

edwardkaraa

As far as I'm concerned, I have no particular preference for OVF or EVF, I just want something that works. When the A99 is released, I will take a very close look at the VF and see if it works for me or not.

I also should consider if a switch to another brand that offers OVF makes sense or not. It would be a big disappointment to switch to Canikon only to find out that I bought the last OVF model. In the long run, they will all switch to EVF, whether we like it or not.

my_photography

How do you find the viewfinder of A900 compared to other fullframe from Canon and Nikon? What is your experience in using manual focusing with Sony A900 compared to Canon/Nikon?

dhsimmonds

The A900 viewfinder is 100% view, what you see is what you get. It is also very bright and clear. Many consider it the class leading viewfinder amongst pro use DSLR's. I can only compare it with my previous Leica R9 viewfinder which was very, very good but the A900 is much better!

Lonnie Utah

How do you find the viewfinder of A900 compared to other fullframe from Canon and Nikon? What is your experience in using manual focusing with Sony A900 compared to Canon/Nikon?
All I know is that when I hand my A900 over to my Nikon and Cannon buddies, more often than not, their first word when they look thru the viewfinder is, "Wow."

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Well,

I owned the 5D2, the D700 and the A900 and I cannot say that the OVF is much different. All of these FF DSLRs have great OVF. And now shooting the E5 - even this OVF is really superb and I cannot say it is worse than the one in the A900 !!!! They are all on a very high level!

Having said that, the OVF of the Leica S2 was (and is) the best one I know in FF SLRs/DSLRs!

What really is different is the AF system of the D700, which is far superior to the other models!

PS: I do really hope that OVFs will not be replaced by EVFs over many years. Maybe when I retire from photography in 20 years that would be ok ;)

my_photography

PS: I do really hope that OVFs will not be replaced by EVFs over many years. Maybe when I retire from photography in 20 years that would be ok ;)
This is my hope also as I started with film cameras but I don't think this OVF will stay much longer in Sony's camp after the introducing the SLT. My guess is it is cheaper and less challenging to produce EVF compared to OVF.

johnnygoesdigital

Don't hesitate in buying the Sony A900, it's amazing! With the ridiculous prices in the digital world, this camera performs better than most, at a fraction of the price!
Here's a recent assignment with a very popular individual riding his "hog", using the Sony A900 and 24-70.

Last edited:

MP7

Pen
Great image. I particularly like the Zeiss for black and white imaging. I own a complete set by combining from my Canon, Nikon, and Sony systems. I also pick out great lenses from the Nikon and Canon as well. I also use Leica, Rollei, Hasselblad and Contax lens on all of mine systems. I learn to appreciate optics from old to new generations and from different brand. I like to be positive by using the strength from each system. We all crosses our path here because we share a common interest in photography. Optics and cameras are means for us to record light. All lens has their special signature. Pick them out and draw them as we like to see it.
Best regards and beautiful imaging to all