The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Crazy? Canon 1DIV to Sony A900

johnnygoesdigital

Pen
Great image. I particularly like the Zeiss for black and white imaging. I own a complete set by combining from my Canon, Nikon, and Sony systems. I also pick out great lenses from the Nikon and Canon as well. I also use Leica, Rollei, Hasselblad and Contax lens on all of mine systems. I learn to appreciate optics from old to new generations and from different brand. I like to be positive by using the strength from each system. We all crosses our path here because we share a common interest in photography. Optics and cameras are means for us to record light. All lens has their special signature. Pick them out and draw them as we like to see it.
Best regards and beautiful imaging to all
Nicely written...a true artist!

Mark K

Not to throw a wet blanket on the party, but wouldn't it make a lot more sense to buy a (used?) 1DsIII first to see if that solves your issues?

Regarding the Pocket Wizard issue, if you use ettl, you will discover you are SOL. As for the goofy hot shoe, instead of getting an adapter for the camera, I got one for the flash and one for the PW transmitter. When I got the camera, I thought the hot shoe was the dumbest thing I'd seen. Hot shoes work, why fix what's not broken? After using the Sony hot shoe for a while I realized it's genius, even if it is proprietary. Including a memory stick slot instead of SD or two CF slots ... not so genius.

The Sony AF is definitely not fast, but it never misses. The only real surprise I've had with the camera is shooting fireworks has been an incredible challenge in the way the sensor records light, but I'll know for next time. A part of me is strongly considering switching to Canon because we have standardized on Canon for video production, the Sony hasn't really given me a good reason to switch.
Just got an used 1DsIII at hand for one month to use with my Canon glass. Honestly for my style of shooting kids/animals this seems outdated comparing to my A850.