The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The future is here - Sony Nex 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stefan Steib

I would say with this electronic viewfinder i don´t even need AF. My old Olympus OM lenses are tiny AND fast AND sharp - and even better some of them are darn cheap to get. I have several of them, collected through the last years, bought on Ebay for some bucks and this is something that I will love to use now.... ;-)))

there are Tilt and there are shift adapters already for under 100 € on Ebay (Kipon) and maybe maybe......as I am in close contact of a company who make TS stuff......lets see :)

regards
Stefan

monza

Only useful for lenses ~24mm (35mm equiv) and longer. I would need cornerfix profiles for every moderately wide lens and anything wider than about 18mm (~28mm) need not apply. Some designs like the pre-asph 35 lux and 21mm super-angulon are also non-starters on nex.

I might be interested for video, however wide angle (wider than 35mm) is not pretty with adapted rangefinder glass.
There is a link to comparisons between NEX5 and the NEXC3 around here somewhere, with adapted RF lenses. The colors shift problems appear to be significantly improved or even eliminated, hopefully the 7 sensor has this as well (don't know why it wouldn't.)

Godfrey

... the future is never here

For a rough estimation how a new camera is all these tests are equally good IMHO.

For a decision on what I need and how useable it is for me it can be only my decision.

Thus I actually could not care less about any tests from whoever calls themselves a "camera or lens tester"
+1 ... the future is never "here" ... it's always in the future.

All the reviews are useful for is providing information about a camera's features, controls and specifications. The moment they leap off into evaluations and opinion, my eyes glaze over and a flip to the next page. I've never found any of their tests or opinions to be of any value.

The NEX 7 looks like it might be a very fine camera. It's going to have to be to compete against the Ricoh GXR with its dedicated A12 Camera Mount for M-bayonet lenses, for my purposes, or with the upcoming Leica LIVE camera system recently announced. The feature list looks great, the camera's controls look better than anything else recent out of Sony ...

I look forward to seeing one when hit hits the stores. Ya never know, I might buy one or at least a body. At that point, I'll have been using the GXR+A12 Camera Mount with a small collection of nice M-bayonet lenses from 21mm to 90mm for a few months and will have a solid basis of comparison, tuned to my needs and purposes.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Re: ... the future is never here

+1 ... the future is never "here" ... it's always in the future.

All the reviews are useful for is providing information about a camera's features, controls and specifications. The moment they leap off into evaluations and opinion, my eyes glaze over and a flip to the next page. I've never found any of their tests or opinions to be of any value.

The NEX 7 looks like it might be a very fine camera. It's going to have to be to compete against the Ricoh GXR with its dedicated A12 Camera Mount for M-bayonet lenses, for my purposes, or with the upcoming Leica LIVE camera system recently announced. The feature list looks great, the camera's controls look better than anything else recent out of Sony ...

I look forward to seeing one when hit hits the stores. Ya never know, I might buy one or at least a body. At that point, I'll have been using the GXR+A12 Camera Mount with a small collection of nice M-bayonet lenses from 21mm to 90mm for a few months and will have a solid basis of comparison, tuned to my needs and purposes.
My favorite sign above the bar saying "Free Drinks Tomorrow"
-bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Ahh, this is an aphorism to 9/11. Not a joke and a serious date, but for the industry I could imagine this to be a similar landmark.
Just for the record, most Americans take this date very seriously, and any comment no matter how "distinctly" or "directly" stated, is generally not associated with anything good or positive. So in no way do I see the announcement of a new camera on any date being appropriate to compare to the United States 9-11...

Stefan Steib

Jack

As I said this is not to be meant to harm anybodies feelings, but it may as well be seen as a negative impact for some DSLR companies in some years looking back. Time will show if my drastic words were right.

I understand that "PC" is important in the US, but there was no insult in using this and I always thought in british/american tradition a free argument as long as it has content is what helped to build these countries, so this is essential to the democratic discussion culture.

Greetings from Munich
Stefan

douglasf13

Only useful for lenses ~24mm (35mm equiv) and longer. I would need cornerfix profiles for every moderately wide lens and anything wider than about 18mm (~28mm) need not apply. Some designs like the pre-asph 35 lux and 21mm super-angulon are also non-starters on nex.

I might be interested for video, however wide angle (wider than 35mm) is not pretty with adapted rangefinder glass.
The NEX-C3 already largely corrects this issue, and I'd expect the Nex-7 to do the same.

p.s. Steve Huff seems a great guy, but, as a technical reviewer, dubious at best.

stephengilbert

Stefan,

Aside from whether it is "PC" to refer to 9/11, it is simply stupid. Sony can put Canon and Nikon and Leica out of business, and it wouldn't be comparable to a terrorist attack that killed thousands of people. Your claim that there is some sort of "PC" sensitivity that makes it hard for your brilliant insights to be aired is just silly.

Steve

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Well said Stephen.

I think we understand that Stephan meant no disrespect, and we both understand that different countries/cultures view things differently. However, it never hurts to clarify exactly where and when certain limits are reached...

Let's all shake hands and move forward with the point of the thread, the new Sony :)

charlesphoto

Looks good on paper, but I don't get the beer can on a credit card design of these things.

Anyway, this will be the camera of the month until Fuji/Pana/Nikon/Leica/etc come out with new ones and everyone rushes off to buy those so they can test it by shooting brick walls, bookcases, and cluttered desktops. Gets a bit ridiculous.....

roweraay

Looks good on paper, but I don't get the beer can on a credit card design of these things.
Agreed. Luckily, that "credit card" has a built in high resolution viewfinder (comparable in size and brightness to a 35mm FF viewfinder, from the reports), a built-in flash, a hotshoe, full/direct manual controls with 3 different dials and several buttons, a tilting (even though I would have preferred a fully articulating one) 3" high resolution screen and a 24MP APS-C sensor. ;)

Lars

Stefan,

I find the whole idea of a tiny body more or less useless - lenses aren't smaller so it's still not anywhere close to a compact camera. Sony should have focused hard on making lenses with a smaller outer envelope, like Leica does.

Without a built-in EVF I don't see much bragging rights there - keeping an attachment finder in the hotshoe at all times is awkward and brings the volume of the whole thing up to DSLR size (if not weight). Sony should have built in an EVF like (conceptually) in the Fuji X100.

EDIT: Sorry I looked at NEX5N. built-in EVF makes a dfference. But lenses are still bulky and it sure ain't pretty ;)

Last edited:

Lars

Agreed. Luckily, that "credit card" has a built in high resolution viewfinder (comparable in size and brightness to a 35mm FF viewfinder, from the reports), a built-in flash, a hotshoe, full/direct manual controls with 3 different dials and several buttons, a tilting (even though I would have preferred a fully articulating one) 3" high resolution screen and a 24MP APS-C sensor. ;)
My mistake I saw pics of the NEX5N w external viewfinder.

Stefan Steib

Lars

I am also astonished about how big these standard lenses are.probably because of the AF and zoom and whatever. There are 2 new small primes announced for it, these should be pretty good. But I will not even use these. I have here some really small OM lenses that I will use with a Kipon Tilt adapter

http://cgi.ebay.de/Kipon-Tilt-Adapt...521?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5196fa42f9.

It may be even possible we will make a full TS version for it (using the camera myself helps to get motivated.....) ;-)

regards
Stefan

lowep

bye bye 5DII

fingers crossed that zilions of others may also opt to kiss their Canon 5D MKIIs goodbye as a result of today's Sony launch that will help push the used price of the Canon 5D MKII down to the current price for a used Canon 5d that will be cause for celebration for us bottom feeders until canon launch their next generation of DSLRs that will push the used price of a Sony down that will be a cause for celebration until...

^^^^^^^^
o
o
o
:ROTFL:

(no i'm not holding my breath)

Stefan Steib

It´s funny that some people do neither read nor understand what is written.Nobody said that everybody will throw away his or hers 5DII.
But starting from december significantly more will think about of how a camera will look like that could replace a 60D or 7D for ease of use, a more advanced viewfinder and a much more refined concept of modular usage.
Even if this Sony EVF may not yet be the perfect solution, I am sure that nobody is thinking a 5DII finder is the perfect solution.
And actually not so many 5DII are sold compared to smaller APSC DSLR´s, these are the bread and butter turnaraound makers for the Canon´s and Nikons of this world. This will hurt them MUCH more than these (comparably) "some" full format bodies.
I bet with this Sony lauch a comparable camera from Canon will follow. Nikon is already close to launch something like this and this will even cannibalize their own DSLR´s.

So - have fun in Danmark
Stefan

Status
Not open for further replies.