The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The future is here - Sony Nex 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stefan Steib

I was looking for a camera to go with me everywhere - my 5DII+BG-E6 with my Vario Sonnar 24-85 is nice but just a brick. I tried but I cannot do this.
I also have my iPhone 4 with me all the time, the camera is surprisingly good, but hey-I used 8x10 inch for 25 years - it´s somehow not what I want when I see something interesting.
I have taken a look to the nex3 and nex5 but I thought the features were not quite there.
But now there is this new OLED electronic viewfinder - which shall be "on par" with every optical finder with all the electronic advantages - YES thats right for my aging eyes and I can use my nice old collection of tiny excellent olympus lenses either with tilt or shift from out of my pocket....
The whole list reads to be to good to be true. DSLR beware - if the output holds up to the feature list this december may become the 12/11 of DSLR photography.(the day that changes it all)

Greetings from Munich
Stefan

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I REALLY understand the old eyes bit.
...but I have read lots of words like these before and frankly I need to get one of those things in my hands and up to my eyes before I have an opinion.
-bob

thrice

Spoiler alert! Highlight to read.
The finder won't be on par with decent 100% optical finders and nowhere near any rangefinders nor medium format.

p.s. 12/11? What happened on that date? Excuse my ignorance.
p.p.s Please don't take my post the wrong way, it looks like a great camera. I just don't like the dependence on telecentric lenses inherent in the NEX design, and I don't believe in putting too much stock in a single camera to be the second coming. For me, the M9 was a revelation, but for others it is a let-down. Don't go selling all your gear until you've properly used the camera and discovered whether it *is* more convenient and *does* provide a superior (or on-par) final product.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Spoiler alert! Highlight to read.
The finder won't be on par with decent 100% optical finders and nowhere near any rangefinders nor medium format.
That is what I expect as well.
But am willing to suspend disbelief until I can see one.

-bob

p.s.
This is a very expensive habit of mine as I buy lots of stuff based on the marketing materials only to find it sort of unsatisfactory.

Stefan Steib

Ahh, this is an aphorism to 9/11. Not a joke and a serious date, but for the industry I could imagine this to be a similar landmark.

And Bob - sure - we need to see this and I need to make picture by myself - I don´t believe ANY tests maybe with the exception of LLoyd at diglloyd.com or Andy Westlake at DPreview.com.

the dpreview page is down at the moment - they have a hands on preview on the Nex 7 - which I definitely want to read ASAP !

of course this is not to be my working camera for jobs I will use my IR+UV- antialias converted 5DII + Hartblei superrotators, my HCam + Digiback whatever resoultion up to 80 Mpix plus my newly bought Mamiya RZ II Pro (soon D) plus about 15 lenses for serious stuff. But It is definitely sexy to have something again like in earlier days my Nikon EL2+ 50 Micro Nikkor I was carrying with me for YEARS - no joke everywhere, i felt naked without it.

regards
Stefan

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Ahh, this is an aphorism to 9/11. Not a joke and a serious date, but for the industry I could imagine this to be a similar landmark.

And Bob - sure - we need to see this and I need to make picture by myself - I don´t believe ANY tests maybe with the exception of LLoyd at diggloyd.com or Andy Westlake at DPreview.com.

the dpreview page is down at the moment - they have a hands on preview on the Nex 7 - which I definitely want to read ASAP !

regards
Stefan
Stefan,
And I would skip those too as well.
Remind yourself, it is not the Haxe in the window that matters but the one on your plate.
-bob

thrice

I place Lloyd from diglloyd on par with Ken Rockwell.

I'll wait until Sean Reid, Steve Huff or a forum member reviews one.

jonoslack

Well - it looks interesting to me, interesting enough to order one, which means that if I don't like it I can get rid of it without losing out too much.

thrice

Daniel

there are pretty nice Leica M lens adapters for Sony Nex..........;-)))

regards
Stefan
Only useful for lenses ~24mm (35mm equiv) and longer. I would need cornerfix profiles for every moderately wide lens and anything wider than about 18mm (~28mm) need not apply. Some designs like the pre-asph 35 lux and 21mm super-angulon are also non-starters on nex.

I might be interested for video, however wide angle (wider than 35mm) is not pretty with adapted rangefinder glass.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
For a rough estimation how a new camera is all these tests are equally good IMHO.

For a decision on what I need and how useable it is for me it can be only my decision.

Thus I actually could not care less about any tests from whoever calls themselves a "camera or lens tester" :rolleyes:

Jonas

It's interesting to see how we can agree about waiting before saying things are good - and then feel free to say they are bad.

I mean, I have seen WA images from the M9 in need of a cornerfix fix despite having been processed in-camera. I have also seen fully usable WA images taken with the Nex C3. I say we should wait and see before judging, in either direction.

The specifications make the camera super interesting. If it delivers in real world use, well....

/Jonas

Paratom

Looks very interesting to me - ahigh quality sensor in a relativly small body including a viewfinder.
Now Sony needs to bring some fast primes for the NEX like Oly and Pana have done the last weeks. The 24mm for the NEX is a starting point.
I see this as an important point.

I have also made up my mind (since getting the G3) regarding EVF and OVF.
I prefer OVF....as long as they have a certain size.
But I guess for cameras like the NEX or m4/3 or maybe even DX OVF get relativly small and in this case EVF might work better.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
This adapter looks promising. Same should be possible for mounting 43 Zuiko lenses on M43 bodies with full PDAF and speed.

jonoslack

HI Tom
Looks very interesting to me - ahigh quality sensor in a relativly small body including a viewfinder.
Now Sony needs to bring some fast primes for the NEX like Oly and Pana have done the last weeks. The 24mm for the NEX is a starting point.
I see this as an important point.
I don't think they will be able to do small fast primes - the problem is that they don't seem to be able to do small for APS/c - it's always the thing that brings one back to m4/3 - smaller lenses. On the other hand, the leica primes are better on APS/c
I have also made up my mind (since getting the G3) regarding EVF and OVF.
I prefer OVF....as long as they have a certain size.
But I guess for cameras like the NEX or m4/3 or maybe even DX OVF get relativly small and in this case EVF might work better.
I prefer an OVF as well, but the Olympus evf isn't too bad, and this Sony one should be a lot better.

We'll see!

Status
Not open for further replies.