The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Article by DK

edwardkaraa

As I mentioned on his Facebook page, all this talk is useless. The SLT concept is a defective one. There should be no mirror in the optical path, period. I am personally willing to cope with slower CDAF, because of its accuracy and because it makes AF achievable anywhere in the frame. It doesn't make sense to me to put a piece of plastic between the lens and the sensor. I hope Sony will give us the choice of a mirrorless A99 model.

pegelli

I think it's a solution looking for a problem.

The problems he's trying to solve are either insignificant or imaginary, and certainly no justification to do all the R&D needed to solve the potential unknown problems of the new set-up.

@ edward: The purist in me agrees with you, but my pragmetic part couldn't care less. Guess I'll keep my A850 a lot longer if the A99 is SLT, allthough my GAS might not prevent me buying one of those as well :toocool:

Last edited:

LizaWitz

Seems like it makes sense, but I wonder if the reason for doing things the DSLR way is that people want the DSLR ergonomics. So, they want the viewfinder to be where it is on the old style SLR Cameras.

But I agree with Edward. In fact, I'll go so far as to say that it seems silly to have mirrors in this day and age. A non-moving mirror is an improvement. (Can't wait until the day the mechanical shutter is obsolete too.)

douglasf13

Agreed, Edward and Lisa. PDAF on-sensor (or much better CDAF) and fully electronic shutters are the future, especially for an electronics company like Sony.

I think David's article is fun to consider, but it is the wrong direction.