The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony NEX-7 Discussion

V

Vivek

I agree that it is not very useful to compare crop vs non-crop cams. I did not see the point either.

Why wouldn't there be comparisons with Nikon D3s and the Leica M9? No crops and in the same price range.

jonoslack

I dont understand the article on LL.

1) the Nex images look sharper than the ones of the M9 - so why does the Nex7 sensor outresolve the lens?? It would outresolve the lens if the lens on the Nex7 would not deliver better images even though the sensor has more resolution.
HI Tom
He isn't saying that the NEX out resolves the lens - but that seeing that the NEX7 shows more detail it out resolves the M9.

2) I think we all have seen before that different sensor-even when having the same pixel density can lead to different results, for example cause by micro lens assignment etc. (remember how some m-lenses dont shine on thre Nex5 but look better on the Nex5N)

3) Comparing a downsampled image to a cropped 100% image doesnt tell much IMO.
Well, I don't think the principle is wrong - the trouble is that he cropped the M9 to 12mp and then only downsized the NEX7 to 18mp!
IMO the only relevant comparison would be to shoot one image with a 35asph on the Nex and the other with a 50 asph on the M9, print at same size and look at the results.
Actually, I disagree. I think the right test would be to take the shot with the 50 'lux on the Sony, then take a step or two forward and take the same on the M9 so that the field of view was the same - then do a comparison. It would be nice to see it in both directions (downsize the Sony, Upsize the M9).

I am still surprized how fast some people draw conclusions based on 2 or 3 images.
Well, it seems to me that MR's conclusions just tell me that it's a 'there or thereabouts' situation - which is a surprising accolade for the NEX, and a decent challenge for Leica for the M10

all the best

Paratom

HI Tom
He isn't saying that the NEX out resolves the lens - but that seeing that the NEX7 shows more detail it out resolves the M9.

Well, I don't think the principle is wrong - the trouble is that he cropped the M9 to 12mp and then only downsized the NEX7 to 18mp!

Actually, I disagree. I think the right test would be to take the shot with the 50 'lux on the Sony, then take a step or two forward and take the same on the M9 so that the field of view was the same - then do a comparison. It would be nice to see it in both directions (downsize the Sony, Upsize the M9).

Well, it seems to me that MR's conclusions just tell me that it's a 'there or thereabouts' situation - which is a surprising accolade for the NEX, and a decent challenge for Leica for the M10

all the best
I thought he said the 50asph is outresolved by the Nex7 sensor.

Anyways- the Nex7 IQ looks pretty good in those samples, and the M9 IQ is very good as I know from using it for 2 years.

I am not saying that the Nex7 could be even better regarding resolution.
Looks like this could be a damn good camera for the money.
I dont know yet how much sense it makes to own both a Leica M and a Nex 7 ...since size wise there is not such a big difference.
For my part I still prefer a rangefinder...so should I cancel my pre-order for the Nex 7 ;)...specially since the 5N user interface works better for than I expected in the beginning.

jonoslack

HI Tom
I thought he said the 50asph is outresolved by the Nex7 sensor.
No - I'm sure he didn't mean that (although I can see how it could easily be misconstrued - so hard not to be unambiguous). Rather to the contrary, I thought he implied that a 36mp sensor would show even more detail.

Anyways- the Nex7 IQ looks pretty good in those samples, and the M9 IQ is very good as I know from using it for 2 years.

I am not saying that the Nex7 could be even better regarding resolution.
Looks like this could be a damn good camera for the money.
I dont know yet how much sense it makes to own both a Leica M and a Nex 7 ...since size wise there is not such a big difference.
For my part I still prefer a rangefinder...so should I cancel my pre-order for the Nex 7 ;)...specially since the 5N user interface works better for than I expected in the beginning.
. . . . . but the NEX7 can never possibly be a substitute for an M9 . . . it doesn't have a rangefinder . . . . and the M9 could never possibly be a substitute for a NEX . . how can you attach a 70-300 zoom to the M9?

I've just been having a very energetic discussion with my son about all of this. For me (and I suspect also for MR) the NEX7 is a splendid adjunct to the M9 - it can be used to get over the (small) shortcomings of the M9 (macro / telephoto / auto-focus). Of course, you can have an SLR to do all of this . . but the real difference is that you can use ALL of your M9 lenses on the NEX7 . . and NONE of your SLR lenses on the M9, and none of your M9 lenses on the SLR.

As I see it, a NEX camera with maybe a couple of R lenses (or even a couple of AF E lenses) links in nicely with an M system without really adding much bulk to your system. An SLR just is a different system.

Until Leica bring out a camera which will cover all bases, then the NEX does a really good job in filling the gaps with good IQ.

all the best

Terry

Anyone considering the Sigma 8-16 on the NEX7. Will it AF (slowly) with the old adapter or only the Phase Detect adapter?

jonoslack

Anyone considering the Sigma 8-16 on the NEX7. Will it AF (slowly) with the old adapter or only the Phase Detect adapter?
Hadn't occurred to me . . I think I've got an A mount 10-20 Sigma banging about somewhere . . . I'm not sure, but I guess it'll AF with either adapter (or neither), but faster with the new one.

all the best

etrigan63

I am happy to report that my NEX-7 has shipped and will be here next Wednesday. Now if only they could find a Zeiss 24mm....

Paratom

HI Tom

No - I'm sure he didn't mean that (although I can see how it could easily be misconstrued - so hard not to be unambiguous). Rather to the contrary, I thought he implied that a 36mp sensor would show even more detail.

. . . . . but the NEX7 can never possibly be a substitute for an M9 . . . it doesn't have a rangefinder . . . . and the M9 could never possibly be a substitute for a NEX . . how can you attach a 70-300 zoom to the M9?

I've just been having a very energetic discussion with my son about all of this. For me (and I suspect also for MR) the NEX7 is a splendid adjunct to the M9 - it can be used to get over the (small) shortcomings of the M9 (macro / telephoto / auto-focus). Of course, you can have an SLR to do all of this . . but the real difference is that you can use ALL of your M9 lenses on the NEX7 . . and NONE of your SLR lenses on the M9, and none of your M9 lenses on the SLR.

As I see it, a NEX camera with maybe a couple of R lenses (or even a couple of AF E lenses) links in nicely with an M system without really adding much bulk to your system. An SLR just is a different system.

Until Leica bring out a camera which will cover all bases, then the NEX does a really good job in filling the gaps with good IQ.

all the best
Mmmh, I am not sure yet. If I would shoot longer tele (what I dont do very often) I usually like to do it with a fast lens and often would like to have a fast AV (sports, aninals, kids,...).
The Nex 7 AF is maybe too slow for such things and if you lug a big lens around like a R-lens or a Nikon tele lens then why not rather use a DSLR body? I assume that should handle much better and more balanced.

I can see to use it for macro with the M - 90 Macro Elmar (I did that with the 5n).

I could also see the NEx 7 as a spare body for an M9, or as a solution which delivers very good (eventually better) IQ at a lower price than a M9.

V

Vivek

Now if only they could find a Zeiss 24mm....
They appear to be everywhere and more surprisingly with a huge variation in sale prices (999 to 660 Euros). I am going to wait until the price bottoms out.

weinschela

Subscriber Member
Collected my Nex7 yesterday from my dealer. Just body, but also got the 16mm and have the Zeiss on order. But the really cool thing is using my Leica lenses. Have not tried all of them but the focus peaking works beautifully. Just be prepared to spend some time mucking around in the menus getting things set up.

gurtch

I had advance ordered my NEX 7, but have been buying adapters to use my treasure trove of older legacy MF lenses (I'm 74 yrs old, and have been into this seriously since 1959 when I built my first darkroom). I purchased the M42, Leica R, Nikon F, Leica M,
Contax/Yashika, and Topcon/Ekakta to NEX adapters. I have a beautiful Contax 28mm T* f2.8, Leica 35mm f2.8 Elmarit R, 50mm f2 Sumicron R, Nikon 28mm f3.5, 50mm f2, 135mm f2.8, Pristine Topcon 50mm f1.4, 28mm f2.8, 100mm f2.8 (a tiny little jewel), and 135mm f2.8 with beautiful telescoping hood. Also some really old Exakata lenses: 50mm f2.8 Tessar, and 135mm f 2.8 Steinheil Munchen Auto-Quinar (this is a monstor heavy lens with giant clip on hood). Also M42 Asahi Takumar 24, 28, & 50mm f1.4, along with very early "Auto-Takumars" (actually semi-auto, you must cock open the diaphragm after every shot): 35mm f3.2, 50mm f1.8 and 105mm f2.8. Still waiting for the NEX 7 to be delivered from the Sony Store.
Good luck to all.
Dave in NJ

ronjh

Fedex delivered my NEX-7 from sonystyle today, along with the 24 1.8 from Amazon. All I can say is: I don't think many of you will regret your purchase! I haven't had much time today to play around with it. As is the case, with most new systems, finding your way around the menus will involve some trial and error. Feels fairly comfortable ergonomically, but could be cumbersome to some if their fingers are bit thick or fairly large. Here's a simple click with the nocti .95 wide open at 800 ISO in dim light.
Ron

xtianyves

Fedex delivered my NEX-7 from sonystyle today, along with the 24 1.8 from Amazon. All I can say is: I don't think many of you will regret your purchase! I haven't had much time today to play around with it. As is the case, with most new systems, finding your way around the menus will involve some trial and error. Feels fairly comfortable ergonomically, but could be cumbersome to some if their fingers are bit thick or fairly large. Here's a simple click with the nocti .95 wide open at 800 ISO in dim light.
Ron
Ron, congrats on getting your NEX-7! I'm still waiting for mine to arrive here in Canada.

I'm curious to see how you like the 24/1.8! Would love to hear your thoughts on the build, handling and performance of the zeiss.

gurtch

I have a Sony A-900. That body came with a wireless remote RMT-DSLR. I also purchased a Sony electronic cable release RM-S1AM. Does anyone know if either, or both will operate with the Sony NEX7?
Thanks in advance
Dave G in NJ.