The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

CY Contax 35-70 on A850!

FlypenFly

FIrst outing in terrible lighting on the A850 CY35-70!

Always wanted one of these and I think I might be one of the few who have it in Alpha mount!

The Leitax conversion... was not easy.

First lens I've ever had in MF where it seems the infinity focus is correct... I hope.

_DSC4203.jpg by jaetography, on Flickr

_DSC4191.jpg by jaetography, on Flickr

_DSC4182.jpg by jaetography, on Flickr

_DSC4177.jpg by jaetography, on Flickr

_DSC4167.jpg by jaetography, on Flickr

_DSC4163.jpg by jaetography, on Flickr

_DSC4141.jpg by jaetography, on Flickr

_DSC4138.jpg by jaetography, on Flickr

_DSC4129.jpg by jaetography, on Flickr

FlypenFly

CY35-70 + ZF 35mm F2 on A850 Samples

I almost ended up selling the ZF.2 Leitax'd 35mm F2 distagon but I think the beauty of this lens is really using it at F2 for near objects. Somehow the rendering looks better at that setting than at say F4 or F5.6. Sure there's more contrast and detail at higher apertures but the beauty is somewhat diminished.

As a landscape lens it seems to be a secondary albeit still extremely well executed thought. At F5.6 and higher, I can't tell the difference between it and the 35-70mm much unless extreme pixel peeping. I'll admit I wasn't thrilled with the 35mm F2 on my D7000 but on Full Frame, it really seems to shine. This makes me a bit worried how much I'll like it on my NEX-5N and NEX-7.

The CY 35-70 was a pretty difficult conversion via Leitax simply because I misread the last step of the process. It should have been about a 2 hour job but ended up being 5 hours. Now that I've done it though, everything else lens surgery related seems easy.
I really wish I had a chip for the CY 35-70.

Oh there are a couple from the Zeiss ZF.2 21mm F2.8 also thrown in.

_DSC4396.jpg by jaetography, on Flickr

_DSC4230.jpg by jaetography, on Flickr

_DSC4246.jpg by jaetography, on Flickr

_DSC4232.jpg by jaetography, on Flickr

_DSC4231.jpg by jaetography, on Flickr

_DSC4262.jpg by jaetography, on Flickr

_DSC4302.jpg by jaetography, on Flickr

_DSC4387.jpg by jaetography, on Flickr

_DSC4391.jpg by jaetography, on Flickr

_DSC4398.jpg by jaetography, on Flickr

_DSC4314.jpg by jaetography, on Flickr

_DSC4412.jpg by jaetography, on Flickr

_DSC4430.jpg by jaetography, on Flickr

_DSC4418.jpg by jaetography, on Flickr

_DSC4268.jpg by jaetography, on Flickr

_DSC4399.jpg by jaetography, on Flickr

mhespenheide

Jae,

Thanks for that. I have one of the lenses and I'm procrastinating on ordering the conversion kit. I have a good copy of the Tamron 28-75/2.8 zoom, so I've held off on the Contax over concerns about manual focusing. Given the Contax's reputation as a world-beater, though, I should probably bite the bullet and go ahead with it. I know it's not fair to judge image quality from web reproductions, but I'm addicted to resolution at this point...

If only I knew that a full-frame with live view was coming from Sony some time down the line!