The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEX5 + Nokton 35/1.2 v2

Hosermage

Just got my lens today.. and here are some test shots.

Here's a size comparison with the 1855 kit lens (sorry for the camera shake):

hot

I think for this high price lens - and the results - you better should buy 10 - 15 HelloKittyCams.

Much adoo about nothing :-(

Very unsharp- each phone camera makes better pictures.

simonclivehughes

I think for this high price lens - and the results - you better should buy 10 - 15 HelloKittyCams.

Much adoo about nothing :-(

Very unsharp- each phone camera makes better pictures.
The original Voigtländer 35mm f1.2 lens was excellent, and I expect this newer one to be as good if not better.

Why so judgemental with only 2 pictures from the lens so far? They're obviously shot quickly, but they exhibit focal sharpness and a bokeh that seems, on reflection, to have a greater degree of creaminess over the first version lens.

If the cost is too high for you, stick with your KittyCams, but let others discuss their equipment choices without the background noise. :grin:

Cheers,

Hosermage

I think I need a lesson on how to show off the lens' sharpness at f1.2... take a landscape shot at focus infinity? I might need a better adapter then, since my current adapter focus slightly pass infinity. Or do you want me to take some shots at f8? I think I'll be shooting it wide-open most of the time.

Here's some more of my personal opinions:
- it's heavy.. but I've gotten used to holding the camera by the lens barrel because my 50'cron DR was also heavy.
- I love its bokeh, even and smooth, and the background de-focus very quickly
- I'm now able to shoot around my dim-lit room without a care in A-mode and still get 1/30s shutter speed, which wasn't possible before with the 'cron and f2.
- 35mm field of view is much better than how 50mm felt on the NEX as I often felt the need to step back a few steps with the 'cron.
- 0.5m focus distance, similar to the 'cron, but pretty hard to find on a M-mount lens.

some more shots:

hot

I think my pictures with Fujian 35mm/1.7 for $ 28 (!) Dollar TWENTY-EIGHT are sharper and BETTER!

0.3m minimum distance
1/56 (!) of price of Nokton
small and light, verrrrry light!

Did you buy wrong lens ? ? ?

Not price makes a lens - I saw great s.h.i.t photos made with Leica M9 !

Last edited:

simonclivehughes

Hot,

They're great pictures and it's a great lens. But, it is not the same as the CV 35mm f1.2. The CV's DOF is much shallower and the OOF areas are much different.

Personally, I prefer the way the Voigtländer draws. In this case, the extra cost does really buy you something more unique. I certainly appreciate that to some it is not worth the additional cost, whereas to some of us, it is. I enjoy seeing the bargains that you find though, keep them coming!

Cheers,

Amin

I didn't know there was a version two of this lens. I need to up my gear coverage obsession :rolleyes:.

Thanks for the samples, Hosermage. Don't be discouraged by the negative responses.

Hosermage

It's ok. I'm quite thrilled with the results I got, as it has all the attributes that I had hoped for. Now I just need take another photo field trip with my family to take some shots, instead of just shooting it around the house.

I do wish my NEX camera has a way of annotate the apertures with MF lenses as I take each shot. Someone taught me to take a picture of the lens before I switch lenses, but it'll be hard to remember the apertures of each shot if I change it.

volkerhopf

I think my pictures with Fujian 35mm/1.7 for $ 28 (!) Dollar TWENTY-EIGHT are sharper and BETTER!

0.3m minimum distance
1/56 (!) of price of Nokton
small and light, verrrrry light!

Did you buy wrong lens ? ? ?

Not price makes a lens - I saw great s.h.i.t photos made with Leica M9 !

I believe the Fujian lens is the same optics as the SLR magic. I use the SLR magic with a Nex C3 and Nex 5 and I love it for portraits and everything what only needs to be sharp in the centre of the frame at 1.7. It gets better when you go for smaller apertures but never good. I didn't expect it when I bought the lens for 80 Dollars.
I will be getting my Nokton next week and I would be terribly disappointed if the IQ would be only like the SLR magic, but I don't think this will be the case.
I am using a Nokton 1.5/50mm at the moment and I am very happy with the results I get at 1.5. But it is not that easy to focus properly at 1.5 with a Nex unless you use a tripod, it is much easier with the Leica. But 1.2 and 35mm is quite a different matter. It will be a challenge to get really sharp photos with the Nex and I think it will not be much easier with the M8.

hot

Some pictures, quickmade, freehand, out of camera with Fujian and Samyang, different apertures - full open and f=8...16.

I think differences between 28 $ and 562 $ are not heavenhigh - and so it will be also with Nokton 35mm 1.2 for (haha) 2.100 $ :D