The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Share your best NEX-5N images here

ustein

Contributing Editor
> Still prefer built-in as opposed to an attachment, but I can get by with this one until the 7 makes an appearance.

Yes and no. I want a built-in swivel EVF. For now I don't really long for the NEX-7 although it will be very interesting of course.

>That 18-200 looks quite good considering the range.

I am surprised that I like it so much. Allows me to be very lazy :)

jonoslack

Ocean - those shots are lovely - especially the couple in the third shot. I really understand that feeling!

For me the 18-200 is crucial - I'm sure the NEX is great with primes and I intend to use it with them, but mainly it'll be the M9 for primes and the NEX7/18-200 for casual shooting; not as small as the EP3/14-200, but around the same weight and better IQ.

I can't wait!

ustein

Contributing Editor
I hope you have/get the EVF. I cannot use the NEX-5(N) without the EVF and with the 18-200 even more so.

jonoslack

Okay - I seem to have ordered one with the 18-55 and the finder from Digital Rev.
not sure when it'll arrive, but hopefully it won't be too long. I shall be very critical :ROTFL:

ustein

Contributing Editor
>your shots so far don't give much scope for nastiness!

Haha :). I ment more the camera and EVF itself.

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
Ocean - those shots are lovely - especially the couple in the third shot. I really understand that feeling!

For me the 18-200 is crucial - I'm sure the NEX is great with primes and I intend to use it with them, but mainly it'll be the M9 for primes and the NEX7/18-200 for casual shooting; not as small as the EP3/14-200, but around the same weight and better IQ.

I can't wait!
Jono, Thanks for your kind words. I took the NEX 5N with few Contax G lenses on a short business trip and I had one day at Yosemite National Park. I agree with you that as much as I enjoy using the Contax prime lenses, the NEX 5N needs a good compact kit zoom lens, 16-80/2.8-3.5 (similar to Zeiss ZA, or the old Olympus 4/3 12-60/2.8-4). I also find that it's very limiting without the EVF.

Cheers,

(G28/f8, G90/f5.6, and G28/f8)

ustein

Contributing Editor
>the NEX 5N needs a good compact kit zoom lens, 16-80/2.8-3.5 (similar to Zeiss ZA, or the old Olympus 4/3 12-60/2.8-4).

+1

We are waiting for this in m43 world for 3 years now :). Maybe I am not waiting anymore fro m43 lenses.

jonoslack

>the NEX 5N needs a good compact kit zoom lens, 16-80/2.8-3.5 (similar to Zeiss ZA, or the old Olympus 4/3 12-60/2.8-4).

+1

We are waiting for this in m43 world for 3 years now :). Maybe I am not waiting anymore fro m43 lenses.
HI Uwe
It sounds like Panasonic may be making such a lens - but I'm not waiting any longer - the lure of the NEX7 is really too great - the 18-200 will probably do for now at least.

My m4/3 kit is all heading to ebay at the moment; the new little primes are lovely, but it still doesn't fit in a pocket, and weight for weight the NEX isn't so different. IQ for IQ it certainly is. Added to which, if I want to use little primes, I have a better solution in everything but low light.

I've been using the A55 with the 16-80 ZA, and although it's easy to criticise, it's actually really good in the 'real world' Such a lens for NEX would be really good.

all the best

Amin

I've only made it out briefly once with this camera so far, but here's a shot with my 18-55 kit lens at full tele, slight crop:

Can't wait to get some more time with it, not to mention Lightroom support!

I think I'll just stick with the kit zoom for now with the NEX-5N. It seems to be a very good lens. I've got my E-P3 for primes.

jonoslack

Uwe
You really do take very good photographs . . .
Amin - that is also a lovely swan picture.
Flypenfly - classic composition on the church shot.

Not only is my 5N coming from Digital Rev, but it seems I have an A77 to pick up tomorrow:eek:

ustein

Contributing Editor
>I feel like such a Penny pincher these days with only an NEX7 on order.

Now that I start liking the 5N I likely need to join the club.

Amin

Thanks, Jono.

Uwe, I love what you're doing with the 18-200, and I look forward to reading along with your field notes on your site.

Jono and Terry, glad you're getting in on the NEX fun! I can't afford to buy any other lenses any time soon, but I think the humble NEX 18-55mm kit zoom is pretty great and that the NEX-5 and kit zoom will nicely complement my E-P3 and Micro 4/3 primes.