The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Share your best NEX-5N images here

jonoslack

Hi Terry
Okay
I have the Right Key Setting: AEL Toggle
Soft key B setting MF Assist
Soft Key C setting: Custom
Custom 1 ISO
Custom 2 White Balance
Custom 3 Metering Mode
Custom 4 Autofocus Area
Custom 5 AF/MF Select

Seems to work okay - but I'm sure I'll change it!

m_driscoll

I'm having lots of fun with this new gear and really enjoying everyone's posts.

1. 5N; Sony Zeiss Planar T 85mm f/1.4 ZA; 1/160s @ f/1.4; ISO 250

2. 5N; Sony Zeiss Planar T 85mm f/1.4 ZA; 1/150s @ f/1.6; ISO 100; taken by Mark Vercammen at Glazers

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

jonoslack

HI Matt
Love the second one (but I suspect the victim doesn't!)

I was at a lunch party today, and just took the NEX 5n and the kit zoom (which I didn't use) and the summarit 35 with the hawks adapter.

I was really surprised at the hit rate (easily as high as an SLR with AF).

here are a couple with the summarit and the helicoid extended to focus closer than the rather dismal metre of the summarit.

The guy who owned the rollei shoots video - the price of the Cooke lenses he users rather puts the price of Leica glass in perspective!

Matt - I think this might be what you're looking for:

Hawks Factory on Ebay

Their packaging was crap, but the adapter seems fine.

all the best

jfirneno

Looking at all the great results you folks post, I want to say upfront that these shots are being posted here strictly to document the low light hi-ISO capability of the NEX-5N OOC jpegs. I usually shoot RAW with an A-850 and LR3 for landscape, macro and general outdoor photography. But I really wanted something to use for family parties that I could just use without much muss and fuss. I think this could be it.

Regards,
John

These are all ISO 6400 and with the 18-55mm e-mount lens.

Terry

Nothing special from me. I decided to try out my 5N with the 30 macro.
My thoughts on the lens:

It really likes to AF on the background and it can be tough to get it to focus on something nearby (this was tested with a spoon sticking out of a mug or one branch of a tree vs another). Not so different than my experience with the 45macro for m4/3 but still can get a little annoying. A couple of times I went into manual assist and got it very close to being in focus and then AF worked. I will have to work with it more.

Even though this is an f3.5 lens at close range DOF is very shallow and I did manage to mess-up a bunch of shots.

This telephone pole was interesting. I hadn't really ever looked closely before but I like the fact that they are numbered and each time they are inspected a little medallion is nailed in.

Although I didn't stay there too long as I was in the line of fire :D

More to come soon. You know I really do like the NEX form factor and the way the screen flips out. I use it completely differently than the G3 but both cameras feel really natural. Interesting.

scho

Terry - Uwe - Thank you.
Now I've had a chance to set up the camera properly, and work out the custom options, I think that my only complaint is that when I'm trying to stop the dog eating a pigeon . . I tend to press buttons I didn't mean to!

The high ISO is ridiculously good - here is an out of camera jpg at ISO 3200, with absolutely no PP . . . . . .

I guess Emma wouldn't like it - but it's the general sparkle which gets to me!

taken with the 18-200
Very nice portrait Jono. I have the same problem with unintentional button presses - particularly the red video button which I wish I could disable.
I'm having lots of fun with this new gear and really enjoying everyone's posts.

Cheers, Matt

Lovely portraits Matt.

Terry

Terry,
why did you keep the bid shot in that orientation?
Not sure. When I was looking at it, I did it both ways. For some unknown reason I just liked it this way. I use like loosely as I'm not in love with any of my shots from yesterday.

5N with C/Y Zeiss 28mm 2.8 - Palm Springs Tram

This is my favorite adapted lens on the NEX- not the smallest but so sharp and flexible with excellent build quality.

Hi Terry,

I assume you are referring to the first shot (which is the brightest) and no, I was not. I think I was close focused and at 5.6 maybe?

The b/w landscape was stopped down to f/8 and the rest of the shots were in good dappled light in the forest.

Chad

m_driscoll

The 18-55mm is a pretty nice little lens. Thanks for looking.

1. NEX 5N; 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS; 45mm; 1/45s @ f/4.5; ISO 6400

2. NEX 5N; 16mm f/2.8; 1/60s @ f/2.8; ISO 1250

3. NEX 5N; 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS; 55mm; 1/60s @ f/5.6; ISO 3200

4. NEX 5N; 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS; 32mm; 1/25s @ f/4; ISO 6400

Cheers, Matt

m_driscoll

Very nice portrait Jono. I have the same problem with unintentional button presses - particularly the red video button which I wish I could disable.
Lovely portraits Matt.
Carl: Thank you, sir! (although, I didn't take the second one) :D I also have the video button problem! The next firmware should include a way to disable it. :thumbup:

NEX-5N with the Contax G 35mm f/2 Planar.
Cleats
'cor . . .that's brutal!
Must play with the contax lenses. . .
Carl: +1! :salute: There's a bunch of those Contax G lenses just sitting at my local camera store. Which adapter are you using?

Cheers, Matt