The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Share your best NEX-5N images here

Paratom

HI Uwe
It sounds like Panasonic may be making such a lens - but I'm not waiting any longer - the lure of the NEX7 is really too great - the 18-200 will probably do for now at least.

My m4/3 kit is all heading to ebay at the moment; the new little primes are lovely, but it still doesn't fit in a pocket, and weight for weight the NEX isn't so different. IQ for IQ it certainly is. Added to which, if I want to use little primes, I have a better solution in everything but low light.

I've been using the A55 with the 16-80 ZA, and although it's easy to criticise, it's actually really good in the 'real world' Such a lens for NEX would be really good.

all the best
I have to say that if the Nex7 delivers what the specs indicate I would also evaluate to sell my m4/3. However I would probably rather use it with the new prime, the more I use primes the less I am interested in zooms. 1) I have a better feeling for a certain fixed focal length regarding the chracter of the image I will get with it and 2) More and more I use shallow DOF as often as I can.
When I use zooms there are too many situations where I just zoom because I am too lazy to change distance to subject.

jonoslack

I have to say that if the Nex7 delivers what the specs indicate I would also evaluate to sell my m4/3. However I would probably rather use it with the new prime, the more I use primes the less I am interested in zooms. 1) I have a better feeling for a certain fixed focal length regarding the chracter of the image I will get with it and 2) More and more I use shallow DOF as often as I can.
When I use zooms there are too many situations where I just zoom because I am too lazy to change distance to subject.
HI Tom
Well, I'm going in the other direction. If I'm shooting something planned, then okay - primes every time (usually with the M9).
However, if I'm out and about looking for subjects (which is what the NEX will be for), then whilst I absolutely agree that the shallow dof, combined with a continuity of shooting with primes is excellent . . . but I miss shots - regularly, nothing about being lazy. Today was a perfect example - out for a run with the dog just after 7am - I'd dithered whether to take a 35mm or just stick the zoom on the A55 . . which is what I did.
This is what I would have missed:

(A55; Zeiss 16-80 at 80mm)

. . . .and this is what I would have missed yesterday

(A55; Zeiss 16-80 at 70mm)
(sorry for the slightly off topic images, but they seemed worth posting to illustrate a point).

So, for me, small portable cameras are for grab shots, and zooms are better for grab shots than primes . . . . .

It seems to me that it's often the subject that matters, and shooting with primes just isn't the right thing if you don't know what your subject will be.

all the best

ustein

Contributing Editor
>and shooting with primes just isn't the right thing if you don't know what your subject will be.

That is the point and also if the nature (size and distance) of your subjects change all the time (e.g. exploring a place).

Amin

What we don't know, Jono, is what images you would have made had you brought the 35mm prime instead of the zoom ;).

I suspect that I personally use the tele option too often when it's there for the taking. Nice thing about these little cameras is that it's easy to have two of them with you at a given time - eg, NEX with zoom and M9 (or E-P3 in my case) with prime.

jonoslack

HI Amin
What we don't know, Jono, is what images you would have made had you brought the 35mm prime instead of the zoom ;).
Oh - I have those shots too :)
I suspect that I personally use the tele option too often when it's there for the taking. Nice thing about these little cameras is that it's easy to have two of them with you at a given time - eg, NEX with zoom and M9 (or E-P3 in my case) with prime.
Of course, you're right (and I nearly always do have both of these things in my bag), but in this case, unless I'd had the zoom in my hand, I would not have got either of these shots (maybe they aren't that great, but they are just examples of the principle from the last two days!).

Actually, whilst discussing what's in the bag . . . walking around Crete for nearly 3 weeks, I had an E-P3 with the 14-150, and an M9 with the 50 f0.95 (and an ND filter). It was a sweet combination, and there will be pictures on the net in the next few days

Amin

Actually, whilst discussing what's in the bag . . . walking around Crete for nearly 3 weeks, I had an E-P3 with the 14-150, and an M9 with the 50 f0.95 (and an ND filter). It was a sweet combination, and there will be pictures on the net in the next few days
Wow, sounds like a wonderful trip. Looking forward to seeing your pictures!

Great shot of the sea otter, Uwe!

Paratom

Jono,
I am surprized again and again how you come up with so many interesting images.
Well, sometimes one has to be quick and then a zoom is definetly faster than switching a lens.
And I am not talking against zoom lenses making sense for some things.
It is just when I carry the G3 lately I rather bring 20 and 45 mm primes instead of the 14-45 or the 14-140. If I use the M9 I shoot 90% in the f1.4-2.8 range.

Now if you go through your crete images and choose the 10 best ones, how many come from which combo? (I am not asking because i expect a certain answer but because I am really interested).

ptomsu

Workshop Member
HI Tom
Well, I'm going in the other direction. If I'm shooting something planned, then okay - primes every time (usually with the M9).
However, if I'm out and about looking for subjects (which is what the NEX will be for), then whilst I absolutely agree that the shallow dof, combined with a continuity of shooting with primes is excellent . . . but I miss shots - regularly, nothing about being lazy. Today was a perfect example - out for a run with the dog just after 7am - I'd dithered whether to take a 35mm or just stick the zoom on the A55 . . which is what I did.
This is what I would have missed:

So, for me, small portable cameras are for grab shots, and zooms are better for grab shots than primes . . . . .

It seems to me that it's often the subject that matters, and shooting with primes just isn't the right thing if you don't know what your subject will be.

all the best
Jono,

interesting observation and I back most of it. Did you keep your M43 gear? Or did you change completely to Sony (Alpha and / or NEX)?

Asking this, because I am really thinking of going back to Sony again and sell all my Olympus E5 stuff plus my M43. Would replace then with A77 plus some Zeiss zooms and primes and NEX7 for when I want to have a compact alternative with high flexibility.

I think that the A77 with Zeiss glass easily beats E5 with SHG glass or is on par plus it delivers far better high ISO at double the resolution. Similar for NEX7 compared to EP3.

I know I was already in the Sony camp some time ago, but meanwhile with these latest offerings it is pretty hard to resist :)

jonoslack

Jono,
I am surprized again and again how you come up with so many interesting images.
Ahhhh - by having a zoom on my camera :p
Still, thank you for the compliment.
Well, sometimes one has to be quick and then a zoom is definetly faster than switching a lens.
And I am not talking against zoom lenses making sense for some things.
And I'm not talking against primes making sense for some things as well (I've just spent a joyful couple of hours with the A77 and the Zeiss 135 f1.8, definitely a wonderful combination.
It is just when I carry the G3 lately I rather bring 20 and 45 mm primes instead of the 14-45 or the 14-140. If I use the M9 I shoot 90% in the f1.4-2.8 range.

Now if you go through your crete images and choose the 10 best ones, how many come from which combo? (I am not asking because i expect a certain answer but because I am really interested).
Well Tom, at a rough count it's about 7/3 to the Leica . . . but that's because when there was a special landscape and I had the time, obviously I'd use the Leica. There are lots of shots I like which were taken with the Pen which I simply couldn't have got with the Leica, usually because they were too far away or just a shot out of the blue.

But I take your point!

jonoslack

Jono,

interesting observation and I back most of it. Did you keep your M43 gear? Or did you change completely to Sony (Alpha and / or NEX)?

Asking this, because I am really thinking of going back to Sony again and sell all my Olympus E5 stuff plus my M43. Would replace then with A77 plus some Zeiss zooms and primes and NEX7 for when I want to have a compact alternative with high flexibility.

I think that the A77 with Zeiss glass easily beats E5 with SHG glass or is on par plus it delivers far better high ISO at double the resolution. Similar for NEX7 compared to EP3.

I know I was already in the Sony camp some time ago, but meanwhile with these latest offerings it is pretty hard to resist :)
Hi There Peter
What you say about high ISO and resolution is definitely true - if you actually need higher ISO and resolution!

yes - all the Pentax and m4/3 gear is either gone, or on ebay this weekend.
In your position I'd be careful though - I really do want the extra resolution, but you have your MF gear for that. The Sony colour is shining through with the A77, just the way you didn't like it! The ergonomics haven't changed either. But times change, and so do our tastes!

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Hi There Peter
But times change, and so do our tastes!
Jono,

how right you are :)

Not saying that I do not like the E5 but my issue is that I do not see ANY future for the E system. Thus I will no longer invest.

With the M43 system I am happy but hoped it would better integrate the E system glass, which it does not. Maybe a Pen Pro will do but when that comes is up in the stars and I am not going to wait for this.

My MF (H3D39) is sitting in the shelf as I am almost all time too lazy to carry it. Plus I suspect that a future A99 (or however this FF beast will be called) will outperform the H3D39 at least if used with Zeiss glass. So I am just keeping the Hasselblad in order to get great rebate when I want to change to Phase (39% for 39MP). Should Leica come with a similar offer I would also think about the S System.

Not completely decided yet but I am pretty close to move to Sony again with an A77, Nex7 and later a FF DSLR.

jonoslack

Jono,

how right you are :)

Not completely decided yet but I am pretty close to move to Sony again with an A77, Nex7 and later a FF DSLR.
Well Peter
Good luck with your decision -

of course, I think you're quite right ('cos that's what I'm doing :D)

JMaher

Apparently I couldn't stay away from Sony's spell. It seems to be catching.

Jim

Two with the kit zoom (one with the Panorama mode) **Sorry only one with the kit zoom - it turns out the panorama was also with the 16**

One with the 16

And the last one with an old Nikon 100 Series E. However I haven't really been not able to nail focus with this yet.

Last edited:

JMaher

Thanks. The 16 may not be a great lens but I really like having something wide to play with. Your shots have me thinking I might want a 18-200 as well.

Jim

Terry

Uwe - I really like the truck a lot. Something about the detail in the truck combined with your chosen aperture works for me (not too OOF in the background).