The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Share your best NEX-5N images here

mbroomfield

I second the use of the Leica 21-35...it's become my standard wide-normal, with c/y 18mm and the 12 and 15 CV's taking on the wider work. The problems I've seen with it on FF are gone, heavy vignetting and poor corner performance. I just wish it would focus a little closer, eg the chains are focused further out than I'd have liked.

jonoslack

I second the use of the Leica 21-35...it's become my standard wide-normal, with c/y 18mm and the 12 and 15 CV's taking on the wider work. The problems I've seen with it on FF are gone, heavy vignetting and poor corner performance. I just wish it would focus a little closer, eg the chains are focused further out than I'd have liked.
Hi There Mike
I've never used it on Full Frame - hopefully one day! Stopping down a little seems beneficial, but it's a nice lens - and reasonably sized as well.

For me, the only point of using R lenses on NEX is the zooms (if it's fixed focal length, then it's either M lenses . . . or just use the M9!)

mbroomfield

Hi Jono,
I used it on 1ds2 and 5D for a while hoping it might replace my 21mm c/y Distagon but it never made the grade and luckily I never sold it. I'm fascinated by the 28-90 though as the reputation is way up there and it has a great range. I'll be watching your efforts with it.. no pressure :)
In the mean time here are a couple from the mid range zoom I'm using, and old Tamron Adaptall SP2 35-80, soon to go up against the C/y 35-70 though (a battle it may lose).
The 2nd shot is a brick wall test of course ... :)

jonoslack

Hi Jono,
I used it on 1ds2 and 5D for a while hoping it might replace my 21mm c/y Distagon but it never made the grade and luckily I never sold it. I'm fascinated by the 28-90 though as the reputation is way up there and it has a great range. I'll be watching your efforts with it.. no pressure :)
In the mean time here are a couple from the mid range zoom I'm using, and old Tamron Adaptall SP2 35-80, soon to go up against the C/y 35-70 though (a battle it may lose).
The 2nd shot is a brick wall test of course ... :)
Love the brick wall . . . . it's already becoming clear that the 28-90 is quite a different thing from the 21-35 - really a different class, but of course, it's not that small.
I can imagine that the 21-35 won't make it on full frame (it even has soft corners at 21 on the NEX).

. . . . I suspect the tamron may lose!

ustein

Contributing Editor
>how's it doing in comparison to the X10 from an IQ point of view?

First I use the X10 with JPEGs. The 5N has clearly more DR. But there is no Zoom for 28-112 range at f/2-2.8. The X10 has a smaller sensor.

Note: Also changed today the shadow rendering (SOFT) of the X10 an this will make it better in the shadows.

5N shot:

Last edited:

Paratom

Love the brick wall . . . . it's already becoming clear that the 28-90 is quite a different thing from the 21-35 - really a different class, but of course, it's not that small.
I can imagine that the 21-35 won't make it on full frame (it even has soft corners at 21 on the NEX).

. . . . I suspect the tamron may lose!
Hi ono,
when I had the DMR my standard combo I carried very often was the 28-90 and the 19mm prime. Excellent combination IMO.

jonoslack

Hi Jono,
when I had the DMR my standard combo I carried very often was the 28-90 and the 19mm prime. Excellent combination IMO.
I can understand that . . . . I'm not sure that I'm going to go looking for a 19mm however (I think I've spent enough on R lenses for a bit).

all the best

jonoslack

HI There
A few from the journey to work and the lunchtime walk.

with the Leica 21-35

with the Leica 21-35

with the Leica 28-90

with the Leica 28-90

with the Leica 28-90

with the Leica 28-90

Still loving these lenses with the NEX

endre novak

HI Endre
Thank you!

Lovely - it's no slouch either is it! Certainly better than it deserves to be.
Certainly a winner in it's class. Wonder how the camera will perform with
more serious glass. Looking at your - and other's - posts can't be a major disappointment, though.

Paratom

HI There
A few from the journey to work and the lunchtime walk.
Still loving these lenses with the NEX
Hi Jono,
I specially like #1,#2 and the last one.
Looks those R-lenses really shine on the Nex.
Motivates me to do more with my M-lenses on the Nex. (or with the M lenses on my M? ;) )
Tom

jonoslack

Hi Jono,
I specially like #1,#2 and the last one.
Looks those R-lenses really shine on the Nex.
Motivates me to do more with my M-lenses on the Nex. (or with the M lenses on my M? ;) )
Tom
:ROTFL:
Well, that's why I bought those R lenses - because they don't clash with my M lenses. To be honest, although the M lenses are really good fun to use on the NEX, and except for the real wides the results are fine; I'd much rather use them on an M9. Just like I'd much rather use the R lenses on a Leica solution (here's hoping).

Thanks for the kind words - it was a pretty morning and hard to go wrong - but the R lenses really are good to use on the NEX - handle nicely, and easy to focus. . . . . more to the point, unlike my previous excursions into using the 'wrong' lenses with adapters, these are NOT irritating!