The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Share your best NEX-5N images here

C

chals

Here is picture from Drøbak, Norway. Taken with Nex5n and 18-200mm (at 168mm FF

Shac

Some shots from Sunday of fish and crab boats at Blaine, WA with the 18-55 kit lens. C&C welcome

jonoslack

Uwe - the ford tractor and the pink wood and the brown wood are really great (not sure how much the camera had to do with it though!). Are they with the 18-200?

Chals - really like the window with the photographer . . . his shot will be boring, but yours is not!

Rich - the sunflower is splendid - the other shot is confusing - taken from 10ft or 10miles?

Shac - fishing ports! Newlyn is my favourite, but it's been a year or two. Nice shots

Peter - the girl is splendid - love it . . . . and as for the cheap 135 f1.8 - I had to pay a princess's ransom for mine, so I'm not amused - fantastic lens though.

Shac

Snow geese at sunset - had been shooting other images with a D700 and 500 Ai-P but thought I'd try the Nex-5n
18-55 kit lens at 55mm/5.6, 400 EI hand held, cropped and PS'd

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
On Route 66 in New Mexico (NIK color efex pro) 5N and Leica wide-tri-elmar 16, 18, 21 f/4

On Bush Highway in Arizona (east of Phoenix) 5N and Leica 90 f/2.8 Elmarit-M

C

CoDaQue

On Route 66 in New Mexico (NIK color efex pro) 5N and Leica wide-tri-elmar 16, 18, 21 f/4

On Bush Highway in Arizona (east of Phoenix) 5N and Leica 90 f/2.8 Elmarit-M
I like the treatment on first one very much. Love the detail on the last one!

PeterA

.....Peter - the girl is splendid - love it . . . . and as for the cheap 135 f1.8 - I had to pay a princess's ransom for mine, so I'm not amused - fantastic lens though.

Hi Jono _ I blame you and your infectious enthusiasm for pricking my interest in the Sony cameras. Firstly a confession - I have always loved the look of the A900 files but couuld not see myself ditching all my Nikon gear. So instead I just stopped using all the Nikon gear :ROTFL: *Last chance for Nikon is the upcoming D800 - for me anyway - it better be really good or else "see ya later alligator" Compared to the M9 or S2 colour out of the box so to speak the D3 series cameras are ummm - just so ooooooooordinary.

Still I digress - I have to say that the Nex 5N has done enough for me as far as fun factor goes to entice me into buying an A99 as well. I have to say the EVF tech is very impresive and the focus peeking function makes using M lenses easy ! Sony is brave in heading in this direction - I think they have developed a prime mover posiotn in the market through this tech - will be interesting to see how far it goes. I have to decide on wht lenses to get for the A99 which was purchased on the back of how highly I rate the 135 - killer lens so sharp so fast to autofocus and such lovely draw.

Any advice on lens appreciated.

Cheers
Pete

Paratom

Christmas market this afternoon checking out a new lens:
Hi again,
I was lucky and one sample which had been pre-ordered by someone else got available.
My first impression is very good - even wide open the lens seems to be quite sharp and with a nice contrast. With the hood it is big (if you compare it to m4/3 lenses) - but I find it still handles fine on the Nex 5-n.

Having f1.8 instead of f4 (of the kit lens at same focal length) makes quite a difference.
At f4.0 it seems to be visible sharper and shows more detail in the edges than the kit lens (it better should for the price).
For me it makes sense to have a fast AF lens on the Nex.

jonoslack

Hi Cindy - I haven't tried the WATE on the 5n yet - it certainly looks good.

I love the last two shots - not so keen on the first, but I can certainly see the point.

Tom - that lens doesn't seem to be around here - but I'm in two minds having seen the comparison between it and the 24 'lux on the NEX 7 by MR. 1000 spondoolies is a lot to spend for AF!

Here are some shots from this morning - all with the NEX 5n and the Leica 28-90 R lens:

well, the birds haven't got all the berries . . . yet!

snoozing ponies on Redgrave Fen

nice bokeh on that lens (this is at f2.8)

for me, lone leaves are nearly as seductive as lone trees!

Paratom

Hi Jono,
those images look very rich!
I have to say my feelings about the 28-90 on the Nex are somewhat mixed regading the handling. I am a bit worried to hang so much weight on such small camera.

Regarding 24mm - yes I also saw that comparison between the 24 Zeiss and the 24Lux. I just plan to use the Nex on occasions where I might not want to bring a 5k lens (ok one could say then a 1k lens isnt right as well), for example when goin on bike trips.
Also as nice as focus peaking is I am still not yet so confident in its accurancy.
When manual focusing the M9 is still my system of choice and having AF for the Nex seperates those systems a little more for me.
With the grip the Nex5n works very well even one handed and with the swivel display it encourages to be used lower and higher than eye level.
The bad thing is that I found the kit lens very good in the beginning but comparing it to the Zeiss one gets aware of the weak points of the kit lens.(which I still find pretty good for the price)