The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEX 5N/ NEX 7 and WA lenses

M

memories

Hi

I read here often, that there is always a problem with WA below 35mm with the old NEX 5 (color shift and smearing in the corners).

I would be interested, whether this problem is now fixed with the new NEX 5N and/or NEX 7 (once it is available)?

Especially with the Contax G21 and Contax G28.

M

memories

Hi Carl,

thanks for the link. Do you have by accident also the same images with F2.8?

I do not know with which settings the NEX5 gave the mentioned problems, so I can not judge it really. Did you or anybody else have the NEX5 before you bought the NEX 5N?

scho

Hi Carl,

thanks for the link. Do you have by accident also the same images with F2.8?

I do not know with which settings the NEX5 gave the mentioned problems, so I can not judge it really. Did you or anybody else have the NEX5 before you bought the NEX 5N?
No, sorry but many of the lenses I was comparing have max apertures around f/4 or smaller. Also, I was mainly interested in looking at edge/corner quality at apertures that I would most likely be using at the "sweet" spot for these lenses in real world shooting and that is close to f/5.6. If I were shooting wide open for nice bokeh with a fast lens then corner/edge performance would not be a primary concern. If you really need edge to edge sharpness at wide apertures don't bother looking at RF lenses for use with these mirror-less cameras. Given the excellent high ISO performance of these newer cameras, lens speed is not a big deal anymore (exceptions might be the need for smooth bokeh and street prowling in the middle of the night).

scho

It's interesting to see a sample from the Canon 24mm tilt lens as I've seen someone on the Internet say that the 17mm TS-E lens wasn't suitable because it could only be used wide open. Is this incorrect?
You can stop down the lens to the desired aperture first on a Canon body, hold in the DOF preview button, and then remove the lens to retain the aperture setting. I have heard that there are newer adapters for Canon EF lenses that will allow aperture setting without resorting to this camera switching procedure, but I haven't used them.

lambert

Last edited:

Nettar

My thoughts exactly, lambert. I was just going to post something to that effect, and was pleased to see your message already there. This is not the sort of issue you would expect to be solved in the production model! Nettar

Amatieris

Would be interesting to find out if the new NEX-5N has solved and how effectively the problems 21 G Biogon had on the first NEX cameras. I have the 21G and have used it quite a lot on NEX-3. The corners are not that great. Stopped down is ok, but not good enough. From what I have heard there are some improvements. SImilarly interesting would be performance of Contarex 21mm and ZM 21/4.5!

jonoslack

Hi There
I can't help with the Zeiss lenses.
However I've just been testing the WATE (leica 16-18-21 tri-elmar) and the 24 f1.4 summilux on the NEX5n.
I'm not sure that I'd actually want to use them much (I'd rather use them on the M9) but they seem to work really well - no obvious colour shifts, perfectly useable wide open - sharp corners - minimal vignetting.

What's not to like?

ohnri

Hi There
However I've just been testing the WATE (leica 16-18-21 tri-elmar) and the 24 f1.4 summilux on the NEX5n.
I'm not sure that I'd actually want to use them much (I'd rather use them on the M9) but they seem to work really well - no obvious colour shifts, perfectly useable wide open - sharp corners - minimal vignetting.

What's not to like?
Thanks. I had a NEX 7 on order to carry as a back up for my M9 but I've now cancelled it and ordered a 5N instead.

Performance with my WATE was one question mark which you have generously answered.

Best,

Bill

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
Hi There

What's not to like?
I am in agreement with Jono on WATE. I don't want to use the lens on NEX-5N/7. To me the WATE is perfect lens on both M8 and M9.

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
Hi

I read here often, that there is always a problem with WA below 35mm with the old NEX 5 (color shift and smearing in the corners).

I would be interested, whether this problem is now fixed with the new NEX 5N and/or NEX 7 (once it is available)?

I have used the Contax G28 for sometime now on my NEX-5N. There is no visible color shifts that I can detect. I'm perfectly OK with its edge/corner performance even with open f-stop (2.8). But it should be noted that at f2.8, G28 does have noticeable vignetting, which is normal for the Biogon design.

I also used the G21 on NEX-5N. It has noticeable color shift on the edges so I put it away and waiting for NEX-7 to arrive.

Annna T

I have used the Contax G28 for sometime now on my NEX-5N. There is no visible color shifts that I can detect. I'm perfectly OK with its edge/corner performance even with open f-stop (2.8). But it should be noted that at f2.8, G28 does have noticeable vignetting, which is normal for the Biogon design.

I also used the G21 on NEX-5N. It has noticeable color shift on the edges so I put it away and waiting for NEX-7 to arrive.
Hi,

Interesting that you are shooting with a 21mm on the Nex bodies. Apart of the colour problems in the corners, did you have to modify the 21mm lens in order to mount it on the adapter ? I mean, did you have to cut the protruding plastic wings in the rear or the lens ? And which adapter were you using ? Are all adapters equal, or are there some which would allow the use of the wider lenses (28, 21, 16) without modifications ?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

ampguy

No problems with the regular 5, and CV21. Not sure if it matters, but I'm using the LTM version with LTM to M adapter and the R/J M to nex adapter.

Hi

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
Hi,

Interesting that you are shooting with a 21mm on the Nex bodies. Apart of the colour problems in the corners, did you have to modify the 21mm lens in order to mount it on the adapter ? I mean, did you have to cut the protruding plastic wings in the rear or the lens ? And which adapter were you using ? Are all adapters equal, or are there some which would allow the use of the wider lenses (28, 21, 16) without modifications ?

Thanks in advance for your answer.
I didn't cut the plastic wings on my G21.

I have a generic Chinese made adapter that I paid $20 for. If I mount the G21 on the adapter first, then it won't be able to fit into the camera body. But if I mount the adapter first to the body then mount the lens to the adapter, it works fine. I just have to remember to unmount the lens first when I change lens. Hope this helps.

Terry

Isn't the 8mm built for a dslr with a different registration distance. Wide angle dslr lenses aren't a problem for the Sony's either. It is wide angle rangefinder lenses that sit closer to the sensor.