The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Share Your A77 Images Here

Braeside

Just a heads up, From Apple: Digital Camera RAW

This update adds RAW image compatibility for the following cameras to Aperture 3 and iPhoto '11:

Canon PowerShot S100
Nikon 1 J1
Nikon 1 V1
Nikon COOLPIX P7100
Olympus PEN E-PL1s
Olympus PEN E-PL3
Olympus PEN E-PM1
Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FZ150
Sony Alpha NEX-5N
Sony Alpha SLT-A65
Sony Alpha SLT-A77

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Okay I can see the raw in iPhoto but I cannot see a thumbnail in a folder on the OS ( Lion). CS5 will not open it either. Really want to see the thumbnails in my folders. capture One it is supported folks which I use anyway.

Anyway I will have a lot to post late next week after a trip to NY to shoot the city for a project. Fingers crossed weather holds up

Jim DE

Oh that is just wrong! In order to update my aperture 3 to read my a77 raw I have to update my MAC operating system to 10.6.8???? I currently run 10.5.8 and saw no reason to update until now ..... This is just wrong!

Guess not enough people were buying Lion...

jonoslack

Oh that is just wrong! In order to update my aperture 3 to read my a77 raw I have to update my MAC operating system to 10.6.8???? I currently run 10.5.8 and saw no reason to update until now ..... This is just wrong!

Guess not enough people were buying Lion...
Hi David - thanks for the heads up.

Hi Jim
Well, I think that's pretty normal - Same is true of ACR and photoshop.
besides which, the Lion upgrade is really cheap, and generally pretty worthwhile I'd say.

all the best

Jim DE

Yeah I just researched it. I am running Leopard and have to buy the upgrade to Snow Leopard (only $30) and then Lion is a free upgrade. All in all not bad I guess but you have to remember I am old and tend to resist change ;) ;) ;) Plus I am not comfortable when I have to add new operating systems .... kinda a low tech kinda guy anymore.

I have 2 CAT scans this morning then I will run up to the Apple store and get my copy of Snow Leopard.

jonoslack

Yeah I just researched it. I am running Leopard and have to buy the upgrade to Snow Leopard (only $30) and then Lion is a free upgrade. All in all not bad I guess but you have to remember I am old and tend to resist change ;) ;) ;) Plus I am not comfortable when I have to add new operating systems .... kinda a low tech kinda guy anymore.

I have 2 CAT scans this morning then I will run up to the Apple store and get my copy of Snow Leopard.
Good luck with the scans - really good luck
Lion is good - so is the reverse scrolling (if you use an iPad or an iPhone). If you don't like it though - you can turn it off!.

Andrew Gough

Has anybody shot any images that are polarized blue sky? Specifically, I am wondering about blue channel noise when is underexposed at base ISO? Same Question for the A900.

Thanks

Andrew

Jim DE

Not much of a shot but it meets your criteria...... shot with a 11-16 Tokina on a a77 with a singh-ray warming polarizer @ 50 ISO

Jim DE

Andrew, usually with that 11-16 and a polarizer the skies usually have what I call a halo type look where the top center is dark and the sides are lighter. The pic I posted gave the most even lighting I had. As far as noise? I have not seen any noise issues with blue skies and polarizers at 50 iso. My issue is at 25 mp and a 50 ISO when viewed at screen view there is almost toooo much detail which makes viewing difficult. Change the view to 1-1 and that detail is like nothing else I have ever used to take photos. It's incredible IMO. Even with that 11-16 Tokina. Wish I had the coin for the wide angle Zeiss to really see what this sensor can do with landscapes.

Jim DE

Well Jono, How's the Aperture 3 Raw support look for the a77?

My Snow Leopard shipped and is scheduled for delivery this Friday :(

etrigan63

Okay I can see the raw in iPhoto but I cannot see a thumbnail in a folder on the OS ( Lion). CS5 will not open it either. Really want to see the thumbnails in my folders. capture One it is supported folks which I use anyway.

Anyway I will have a lot to post late next week after a trip to NY to shoot the city for a project. Fingers crossed weather holds up
Guy, download the release candidate for ACR to be able to open them in CS5. There is an RC of Lightroom 3.6 as well.

etrigan63

Good luck with the scans - really good luck
Lion is good - so is the reverse scrolling (if you use an iPad or an iPhone). If you don't like it though - you can turn it off!.
Or get the Magic Trackpad which really unlocks all of the gesture based controls in Lion. It really opened up the new OS for me.

dhsimmonds

Cheeky grey squirrel racing home with his stolen walnut.

Fortunately the A77 is great for capturing fast moving subjects!

Andrew Gough

Andrew, usually with that 11-16 and a polarizer the skies usually have what I call a halo type look where the top center is dark and the sides are lighter. The pic I posted gave the most even lighting I had. As far as noise? I have not seen any noise issues with blue skies and polarizers at 50 iso. My issue is at 25 mp and a 50 ISO when viewed at screen view there is almost toooo much detail which makes viewing difficult. Change the view to 1-1 and that detail is like nothing else I have ever used to take photos. It's incredible IMO. Even with that 11-16 Tokina. Wish I had the coin for the wide angle Zeiss to really see what this sensor can do with landscapes.
Thanks for the reply, I am concerned because I have run into noise problems with different formats over the years. It just one of those things that I check before I purchase.

Cheers

Andrew

pegelli

Has anybody shot any images that are polarized blue sky? Specifically, I am wondering about blue channel noise when is underexposed at base ISO? Same Question for the A900.

Thanks

Andrew
Here's another one, with the CZ 16-80 and a Hoya circular polarizer:
full frame:

Top right corner, 1:1 (the darkest)
(default LR3.4 conversion, only lens profile vignetting correction reduced to 0)

Hope this helps