The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Share Your A77 Images Here

jonoslack

On LL one author states the A65 to be more noisy than the A900 ( http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/sony_a65_first_impressions.shtml )
Believing the A77 and A65 have the same sensor I wonder which camera does deliver the better IQ in your guys opinion?
From what I'm seeing now the A77 is as noisy as the A900 too. However, I don't think it's time to come to any firm conclusions about this - there is (according to rumour) a version 2 of the firmware coming out in early November to deal with this - something about upgrading the processor before shipping, but not the firmware to match it.

Mind you - I'm not having any problems up to and including ISO 1600, and I don't often go higher than that anyway..

I doubt there's any image quality difference between the A65 and A77 (why would there be).

m_driscoll

HI Matt
When you read it . . . can you tell me what it says?:ROTFL:
Great to have you here - I hope you enjoy it as much as I am. I just wish that Apple would hurry up with the Aperture support :sleep006:
Jono: Thanks. I'm enjoying it so far (i'd enjoy it more, but work keeps getting in the way!). I swore off DSLR's, but it was right in front of me in a box at the camera store. I was helpless. :rolleyes:

My current rationale: 1. M9 and M7 use M-mount lenses, 2. Nex 5N and 7 can use M-mount lenses and A-mount lenses, 3. A77 uses A-Mount lenses. It's almost one camera 'system'! :ROTFL:

I'm an LR3 guy, so best of luck with Aperture support. I'll, also, let you know if there's anything interesting in the manual. :LOL:

BTW: I did notice a fair bit of noise in the ISO 1600 images that i shot last night. At the moment, I'm attributing it to my inexperience with the camera.

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

jonoslack

'Cor . . . I hope you didn't drink any of that coloured stuff! (nice shot though)

Jono: Thanks. I'm enjoying it so far (i'd enjoy it more, but work keeps getting in the way!). I swore off DSLR's, but it was right in front of me in a box at the camera store. I was helpless. :rolleyes:

My current rationale: 1. M9 and M7 use M-mount lenses, 2. Nex 5N and 7 can use M-mount lenses and A-mount lenses, 3. A77 uses A-Mount lenses. It's almost one camera 'system'! :ROTFL:
Well - that's my rationale exactly - and if we've both got to the same place then it must be right :D:D
I'm an LR3 guy, so best of luck with Aperture support. I'll, also, let you know if there's anything interesting in the manual. :LOL:

BTW: I did notice a fair bit of noise in the ISO 1600 images that i shot last night. At the moment, I'm attributing it to my inexperience with the camera.

Cheers, Matt
Well, I think they're noisy as well, but I don't think it's your inexperience, I also found it noise when converting to DNG for use in Aperture - I'm hoping it'll improve with a firmware upgrade, and I also suspect the Adobe conversion (which was presumably done WRT the first version of the firmware). We shall see. Still, the 5n is so good in low light that it just refines the different roles for the cameras even more :)

Incidentally - did you find the Hawks Helicoid?

all the best

Jim DE

Jono, I shot a landscape shot JPEG at iso 50 that had a huge amount of small detail and colors in the forest leaves. When opened in Aperture it was so intense and for lack of a better word "edgy" it was hard on my eyes to view in a fit to screen view. I would of bet this was noise but when exploded out to a full image view this edginess and intensity turned into incredible detail and IQ. When I printed it at a a4 size the image had excellent detail and IQ.

Now my Eagle shots were JPEGs using the 2x in camera tele converter ON. When views at fit to screen the detail was great as was the IQ. Could this noise issue many are referring to be a pixelation or pixel density issue instead. When the image size is reduced and binned I just don't see any noise issues at all and I forced myself yesterday to shoot these eagle at 1600 iso just to see if I could see any noise. I did not see any at all.

m_driscoll

'Cor . . . I hope you didn't drink any of that coloured stuff! (nice shot though)

Well - that's my rationale exactly - and if we've both got to the same place then it must be right :D:D

Well, I think they're noisy as well, but I don't think it's your inexperience, I also found it noise when converting to DNG for use in Aperture - I'm hoping it'll improve with a firmware upgrade, and I also suspect the Adobe conversion (which was presumably done WRT the first version of the firmware). We shall see. Still, the 5n is so good in low light that it just refines the different roles for the cameras even more :)

Incidentally - did you find the Hawks Helicoid?

all the best
Jono: Thanks. :D Nope, didn't drink any of that. I convert into Adobe DNG and hopefully that can be improved. New firmware also might help. Noise isn't as noticeable on the 5N, even up to ISO 3200. It's the low light champ of the bunch, so far. Still haven't managed to find the Hawks Helicold. I'll keep looking.

Cheers, Matt

m_driscoll

Jono, I shot a landscape shot JPEG at iso 50 that had a huge amount of small detail and colors in the forest leaves. When opened in Aperture it was so intense and for lack of a better word "edgy" it was hard on my eyes to view in a fit to screen view. I would of bet this was noise but when exploded out to a full image view this edginess and intensity turned into incredible detail and IQ. When I printed it at a a4 size the image had excellent detail and IQ.

Now my Eagle shots were JPEGs using the 2x in camera tele converter ON. When views at fit to screen the detail was great as was the IQ. Could this noise issue many are referring to be a pixelation or pixel density issue instead. When the image size is reduced and binned I just don't see any noise issues at all and I forced myself yesterday to shoot these eagle at 1600 iso just to see if I could see any noise. I did not see any at all.

Jim: Very interesting point! I don't know enough about the technology. I haven't printed anything yet. I'll do so this weekend. The 'noise' is very uniform.

This was shot with 85mm f/1.4, 1/160s @ f/3.2; ISO 1600, and cropped way in.

Cheers, Matt

jonoslack

That's a great shot Jim - I must agree that ISO 1600 in decent light seems to be fine - I've done a couple of prints up to A2+ and the detail is excellent. I think that part of the issue is back to the hoary old chestnut that we all look at our images at 100% - but 100% of a 24mp image is not the same as 100% of a 16mp image!

I should say - I've no complaints about the A77 image quality - seems fine to me - but I don't thing that we've got to the 'final truth' yet!

all the best

m_driscoll

Jono: I have no complaints. I like the A77 a lot! I, also, think your assessment is right on.

Steve: I was literally at Glazers Camera in Seattle when they got a UPS delivery with at least two A77's: one demo and one that I bought. Didn't intend to buy anything that day. I also think I saw one at Kenmore Camera in Kenmore, WA, on Thursday. Happy hunting.

Cheers, Matt

jonoslack

Hi Mark
The chicken is splendid - one of my favourite subjects.

Here are a few odds and sods.

Zeiss 24 f2

Zeiss 24 f2

Zeiss 24 f2

Zeiss 24 f2

Sz16-80

Matix

A few shots from the past day or so, with the newly arrived and quite stellar Tamron 70-300mm F4-5.6 USD tele. Found this one after a long search, Cardiff in the UK, 10 days to Australia. I had heard this was an excellent lens and I totally agree, super fast focus and silent, and an excellent price at $539 AUD including shipping from UK to Australia to boot.

It seems to work well at all focal lengths, it is better than reported IMHO. Examples below, in the first two shots JPG out of camera with no PP, first at 135mm second at 250mm, third is a long shot of a street sign at 120meters, cropped 30%. All except the moon were hand held.

SLT-A77V, f/7.1 @ 135 mm, 1/640, ISO 200

SLT-A77V, f/7.1 @ 250 mm, 1/640, ISO 200

Cropped 40% SLT-A77V, f/9 @ 230 mm, 1/1600, ISO 400

Cropped 40% Comp. SLT-A77V, f/9 @ 250 mm, 1/1000, ISO 800

Last nights moon, cropped to 20% SLT-A77V, f/8 @ 300 mm, 1/320, ISO 400

Cropped 40% and Resized, SLT-A77V, f/5 @ 90 mm, 1/200, ISO 200

A great combination the Tamron and A77, and it is a lighter lens than the VR Nikon 70-300 I had with the D7000.

Phil

m_driscoll

Lunchtime at the Pike Place Market.

1. SLT-A77V; Zeis 85mm f/1.4; 1/160s @ f/3.2; ISO 1600

2. SLT-A77V; Zeis 85mm f/1.4; 1/160s @ f/2.8; ISO 1600

3. SLT-A77V; Zeis 85mm f/1.4; 1/160s @ f/3.5; ISO 1600

4. SLT-A77V; Zeis 85mm f/1.4; 1/160s @ f/4; ISO 250

Cheers, Matt

m_driscoll

Mark: Great looking chicken!
Jono: Cool photos with that Zeiss 24 f/2. Especially like the detail and light in the mauve flower. I've seen that lane captured by you with different gear...well done. I was out with that 16-80 lens today. Seem pretty good.
Matix: That does seem like an excellent lens.
Mark: Beautifully focused butterfly!

:thumbup::thumbs::salute:

Cheers, Matt

pegelli

We were with a group of Minolta/Sony shooters in Madrid and there was an A77 among us that we all used.

Mixed feelings on the viewfinder (not perfect, but maybe it's just getting used to it) but IQ and operations are very good:

Stretching runner (with a Minolta 80-200 HS)

Street scene (with a Minolta 85/1.4)

Street vendor (with a Minolta 85/1.4)

(exif inside)