The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Share Your A77 Images Here

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Jumping in with a few soccer shots...

Zeiss 135 / 1.8, Raw files processed in LR, vignetting added for effect.

dhsimmonds

Nice shots Mike. The ZA135 makes a useful fast 200mm on the A77. Any of these kids yours?

They certainly look smart in their "strip" too, it must be pretty dry still in C.A! My grandsons are usually covered in mud within 10 minutes of starting a football match at this time of year. Roll on the cricket season again!

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Thanks Dave. Yes, my daughter is on the team, but I prefer not reveal her identity on any public sites (hope you understand).

We are blessed with good weather this Fall in California, although we got a heavy dose of rain this past weekend. Here's another game shot plus a few training shots...

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Mike keep her in soccer , a great sport for young girls . My daughter played right through senior year in high school and started at 4 years old. Kept her out of a lot of trouble. LOL

Its a great sport for kids wish more kids would get involved.

HansAlbert

Yesterday evening the joint successor of my R1 and my (sold) A700 arrived, the A65. Here are some shots from an early morning walk. It's too early for a résumé, but I can say I already like it a lot.

ISO 400 raw

AUTO-HDR (jpg) ISO 200

From the the same place, ISO 400, raw, 300mm SAL70-300G

A crop of the same photo, 12 MP like the A700

AUTO-HDR jpg, ISO 200, with some PP

ISO 800 raw, original (downsized) and crop, 100% (not downsized)

jonoslack

Hi There Hans
Congratulations - congratulations on your new camera - I hope you find the EVF as acceptable as we are here.
I won't try a deconstruction, but I really like the first and third shots.

all the best

jonoslack

Thanks Dave. Yes, my daughter is on the team, but I prefer not reveal her identity on any public sites (hope you understand).
HI Mike
Nice shots - and I think I can recognise the Hatam genes . . . . and I certainly don't mind about the anonymity (but I don't think I understand!)

Funny - over here Soccer is definitely a man's game - of course, there are girls teams, but they're few and far between, and rather like girls doing wrestling or boxing!

all the best

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Jono - women's soccer is very big here in the US, and especially in California. My daughter's biggest dream is to play for Stanford University (the top program in the country), and she fanstasizes about playing for the US National Team in the World Cup (idolizing Abby Wambauch and Hope Solo).

Her soccer academy trains year round (48 weeks per year), with 3-4 training sessions per week, and games every weekend (usually two per weekend). At last count, we have gone to over 50 of her games so far this year.

Girls have a great opportunity to get in to these serious academy Soccer (Futbol) programs in the US, and get college scholarships if they are top performers. So it's become a big industry.

In terms of anonymity, my wife and I just feel more comfortable for our daughters saftey if there are not published photos of her (identified) online. We're probably being over-cautious, but there are some strange people out there...

Thanks for the compliments on the shots. I'm still new to the Sony system, and still figuring out how to squeeze the most out of it, but the Zeiss 135 is certainly my favorite lens at this point.

jonoslack

In terms of anonymity, my wife and I just feel more comfortable for our daughters saftey if there are not published photos of her (identified) online. We're probably being over-cautious, but there are some strange people out there...

Thanks for the compliments on the shots. I'm still new to the Sony system, and still figuring out how to squeeze the most out of it, but the Zeiss 135 is certainly my favorite lens at this point.
HI Mike
well . . . we have boys, which may be why we're more casual!
the Zeiss 135 I think is a thing of beauty and wonder . . . now I'm loving the 180 Leica on the NEX5 too!

jonoslack

A77 with Sny 70-300 G lens
Honey:

. . . and a rather strange shot of Sam:

. . . just don't start wondering which way that eye is looking!

dhsimmonds

I fully understand your concerns Mike. Mind you we have gone completely overboard with child protection legislation here in the UK.

For instance, it would not be possible for myself or any other doting parent, grandparent or friends, let alone a stranger to take the wonderful photographs you have shown us here of innocent children playing serious sport without first obtaining the permission of both parents of every child of each team playing in the match!

This rule is usually but not always strictly applied particularly in state schools or academies. I discovered for instance that at my eldest grandson's private school, the rules are not so obviously applied, as I was just "interviewed" very discreetly by a member of the school staff soon after I commenced assembling my A900 with 200-500 lens! I was at the school's cricket match where he was playing another school which turned out to be a close match but Toby's side won! I shot some memorable action shots for his bedroom wall!

My eldest daughter (Toby's mother) who is also a very keen photographer would never allow me to post any images of her children on the internet and so I don't. I do have a photograph of her on my website though taken when she was only 18 months old but as that was about 45 years ago, she has let that one pass!

I have ten grandchildren most at different schools in different parts of the UK and although the "rules" are usually applied there are differences in their interpretation.

By law, anyone working with children in the UK, even if giving their time voluntarily, ie Scout groups, cadet forces or sports activities have to have a police clearance certificate for EVERY activity. This has led inevitably to an acute shortage of volunteers offering to work with children. This is not because we are a nation of "Kiddie fiddlers" but simply because folk don't want the repeated hassle and intrusion into their private lives.

Fortunately there are stalwarts who keep the organisations just about going but many others are closing their doors. Sad days for children IMHO.

OK, I'm now off my soap box! Just keep up the good work Mike and good luck to your daughter. I am sure that she and her other team players love your action photographs. She should, as they are really great and a good testimony of your own skills as well as proving the A77 as a quality image making instrument.

HansAlbert

Hi There Hans
Congratulations - congratulations on your new camera - I hope you find the EVF as acceptable as we are here.
I won't try a deconstruction, but I really like the first and third shots.

all the best

Thanks, Jono.
The EVF of the A65/A77 is so good that I usually take it for an OVF except when the white balance is wrong. But Sony have missed the opportunity to position it similarly to the R1, i.e. more to the left side so that your nose is not pressed against the camera. (The Nex-7 will get that right.) Otherwise the A65 is a joy to use, particularly the absence of the mirror-clap (and its vibration) is a blessing.
In real-life use I find photos from ISO 3200 on too noisy except in bright light when I don't need it and except in "Hand-Held Twilight" mode which is really a no-nonsense feature. Somehow this 24MP camera creates kind of a new Pointillism when photos are viewed at 100%; later, in normal sizes, most of the noise has disappeared again. It's true, the high ISOs are a little disappointing because we like to have everything at no cost, but kept in perspective the higher resolution at low ISOs is for me more important.

Here are some shots from last night:

hand-held twilight, ISO 6400 f3,2 1/80

Raw ISO 1600 f2,0 1/200

Raw ISO 1600 f2,0 1/30

dhsimmonds

Nice shots Albert. Where in Germany were these taken? In my working days I used to work in Sindelfingen and Nurtingen and I have fond memories of Germany, especially at this time of the year.

jonoslack

Hi Albert - lovely stuff - I like the first one best; the composition does it for me.

. . . . . . ...

Something terrible happened to Caspar on Monday (it makes me cross my legs to think about it).

But - as you can see, he's feeling better now!

A77 with SZ 24-70 (it really is very good on the A77)

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Jono,

If Caspar needs a place to hide out for a while....send him over.

In Texas that sort of thing is not discussed much.

I find that the whole Low T thing is way over rated...of course you would expect that at my age.

What a beautiful guy....he seems more stately and imposing as the years pass...not something I can say for the majority of us.

Bob

dhsimmonds

We have a new member of the family!

To be precise he really belongs to my daughter's family but we are all Boxer mad, starting the kids off whilst young with Ben, then eldest daughter had Oscar followed by Humphrey, whilst our son has Monty...all boxers of course!

Humphrey passed on earlier this year and is now replaced by this little scamp who goes by the name of (but doesn't yet answer to) "Charlie". Charlie is just seven weeks old.

I used the A77 with built in flash and CZ 16-80.

Last edited:

jonoslack

Bob - I'm afraid there was no place to hide for Caspar . . . . but he's getting his own back by being just as 'in your face' as he was before!
Dave - that boxer is wonderful (I like boxers too) Keeping his balls well hidden for the time being I see!

jonoslack

Some from this morning. Nasty chilly weather with an occasional glint of sunshine.
All with the A77 and the 24-70 SZ - it's a sweet combination . . . so sweet that thoughts of the 16-35 are rearing their ugly heads again!

all the best