The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Share Your A77 Images Here

etrigan63

A question for those of you who have used the A77 extensively: How loud is the shutter noise? I ask (and for those who already know the question, I beg forgiveness) because when I shoot professional ballet performances, keeping the shutter noise down is very appealing to the theater owners and their patrons. My D700 sounds like a .38 going off in a quiet theater. I got a chance to handle an A77 at Photo Plus Expo but that was in a noisy convention center. The lack of mirror slap noise must make this a quieter system, but I would like the opinion of those who have used it extensively.

With rumors of a full frame SLT on the horizon and the chance to shoot with Zeiss glass, Sony's offerings are appealing to me especially if they come under the price of the Canon 5D Mk III.

iiiNelson

I've never used a D700 to compare it to but I can compare it in the morning in shuter noise level between the 5 cameras I do own (M9, A77, G1, NEX-5, and D-Lux 4.) I can say it's definitely audible but it's a more muted sound than the loud clack the NEX-5 makes

dhsimmonds

Bill,
Great wildlife images from South Africa. A little bit different from the New Forest eh!!

I was there (Kruger) in February this year with my A77 and 70-300G, I left the 70-400 at home as I also took the A900 as back-up and for the wider angle stuff so that both were ready at any given time!

Did you safari in the Kruger National Park? We stayed at "Jock" camp, we had excellent game drives by early morning (04.30am!) and at night. I'm sure that I recognise that cow elephant!!

After Botswana, the fenced and gated camps were a surprise as was the loaded heavy bore shotgun with the guide on the game drives! Both were forbidden by law in Botswana.

The A77 is a wonderful wildlife camera which really comes into it's own on night safari as the EVF light gain allows focusing accurately and the built in flash is just powerful enough, if close enough!

A couple of examples of night drive images taken with the A77+70-300G, the first is a Spotted Haena and then a Spotted Eagle Owl both taken in complete darkness except for a very dim windscreen spot light and my A77 flash!

The A900 couldn't see the subjects with it's optical VF.!

Matix

That owl shot is fantastic Dave, well done! I agree, that the EVF at night is a life saver, who cares if it is grainy, you only need it for framing and maybe focus. I just got back from 3 weeks in Canada, the A77 served me well.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Thanks for kind comment, Dave. Sounds like we had somewhat similar safaris - I was at Singita (Sand River) adjacent to Kruger for 3 or 4 days then went on to Mombo Camp in Botswana. From a wildlife perspective I prefer the Okavango delta - but the chef at Singita was trained by Jamie Oliver and the food was fantastic!

I certainly agree with you on the a77 in low light, though I prefer not to use flash - but your owl is a big winner! I'll post one of mine of an African Eagle Owl tomorrow.

And you're right - I don't remember the New Forest having quite so much wildlife!

Bill

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Carlos - re the noise of the a77. It's much quieter than the a900 and a bit quieter than the a700. I have just listened to it next to my M9 and I'd say they're about the same.

Sorry I don't have a D700 to compare, but I'm fairly sure the a77 would be quieter - as you say, there is no mirror noise.

Bill

dhsimmonds

This my rendition of the iconic "Lilac Breasted Roller" seen throughout Southern Africa but is the adopted national bird of Botswana.

The second image is of a "Blue Waxbill" another African bird. Both images were taken with the A77 and 70-300G lens at some unearthly time in the morning whilst on safari! :wtf:

etrigan63

Carlos - re the noise of the a77. It's much quieter than the a900 and a bit quieter than the a700. I have just listened to it next to my M9 and I'd say they're about the same.

Sorry I don't have a D700 to compare, but I'm fairly sure the a77 would be quieter - as you say, there is no mirror noise.

Bill
Thanks Bill, I appreciate that!

Lovely series, BTW. I am afraid I will never make it to the Dark Continent in my lifetime. Lack of money and zero desire to be there. But your photos are great!

dhsimmonds

He is great Bill. Rare to see them in daylight as they usually tuck themselves right up into the darkest foliage of trees during the day.

Yes there are so many good things about the A77. Have you ever used the built in x1.4 and x2 extenders? Jpeg only regrettably but they are really effective and allowed me up to equivalent FL of 900mm with the 70-300. Then the Steady Shot is really working!

Ok, so you get a reduced resolution but no more so than heavy cropping of the full size image with the added advantage of precise focusing on the main subject. For wildlife photography,sometimes means must! at any cost!

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Thanks, Dave. Wasn't daylight actually - but there was certainly more light in the sky than on the owl which could be barely seen with naked eye against that light.

I have tried the built in magnification but I just can't live with jpgs! I did do a comparison shoot - x2 in the camera jpg against a 50% crop to the Raw file on my Mac and I liked the latter better. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I'm going to have another go at processing the owl by masking the bright areas behind him.

Best, Bill

Jim DE

Very Nice Bill..... I have a bucket list item to get a local owl (barn or barred) in flight shot unabated and without flash. I tried from Dec 11 through Mar 12 without any success. Fact is I saw only two owls flying away into the darkness at too far of a distance to do anything with.

This bucket list item may be very tough to accomplish.