The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Converting Daypack to Camera Bag for NEX & 2 Lenses

LizaWitz

We spent the last 10 months out of the USA, and have discovered that airlines are getting really desperate to force people to check bags. So, having a carryon sized bag is no longer a guarantee of being able to carry on. So, we're switching strategies.

Now I have a small daypack (20L actually) that I'd like to convert to a camera bag, at least part-time, by putting an insert into it.

I did find the Crumpler Haven, and I might buy that, not sure about the fit. Hard to know without trying in person.

The backpack isn't an actual rectangle, so eyeballing it I get: 9" x 4.5" x 6-8" high.
With a ruler, I get: 12" x 4" x 9.5" (max height)
Or 10" x 6" x 9.5"

http://www.crumpler.com/us/Camera-Bags/Camera-Pouches/Haven-L.html?SKU=HVN001-O00G60&LanguageCode=EN

I'm starting this thread, figuring some of you who use shoulder bags might be using one with a modular system where you can swap out the internal configuration based on your kit.

I'd like to store an NEX-5 (possibly NEX-7 in the future) the 18-200 (possibly on the camera) and the new 50mm f1.8 lens, along with the flash, and our 4 spare batteries, all in this one compartment. The haven appears very close.

I've just started looking though, so I'll update the thread as I find stuff.

Thanks for any recommendations in advance as well.

Last edited:

LizaWitz

I think I hit the goldmine. I heard the name domke on this forum before, but didn't realize they made inserts.

http://www.tiffen.com/results.html?search_type_no=434&tablename=domke

There's so many variations, I just need to figure out what combination works for my needs.

I think if I stitch in some velcro to the inside of the bag, I can then put these inserts in and essentially build a custom bag.

===========

Also, found the Clik Elite Insert (and many more, now that I understand the right search terms I'm finding them much easier)... this one seems to be just the right dimensions but haven't found a picture that shows the interior... assuming that it is velcro and so the partitions can be adjusted.

http://www.clikelite.com/products/small-camera-capsule/

===================

And more:

http://www.tenba.com/products/Messenger--Removable-Photo-Insert.aspx#overview

LizaWitz

The Mountainsmith is a rather nice kit. I think I like the drawstring closure on top more than a flap/lid. The drawstring should stay open when I want it to, while he lid might fall down and get in the way...

petetsai

it has 1 partition, so one side is the full interior and the other is split in two. I keep the body and lens in the big side, think where the netbook would go. The other side fits 2 lenses, one on each side or 3 if you tape 2 lens caps together and have a lens stacked. The Ned fits nicely in the half pockets so sometimes I keep the large area open and use it as a quick change staging erea. This little bag works really well for me and is discrete to wear, it forms with my body and the neoprene does a decent job of protecting things.

LizaWitz

Camera Insert arrived. It is floppy like a boonie hat, so it doesn't quite fit as well as the tenba insert we tried in a local store. (Which is stiffer. Though the store only sells tenba bags, not inserts.) Anyway, it serves the needs well enough. Went out last night with the backpack loaded with two NEX bodies, with the 18-200 and 18-55 lenses, the extra lens, flash, etc. Even had room for a manfrotto modo steady folded up in one of the pockets (or it fits across the top with the flaps down... its possible I could find a really compact tripod and fit it too.

I felt the padding was insufficient, so I bought some closed cell foam to put in a pad at the bottom of the backpack.

Overall, though, this is a good solution. I doubt anyone will guess that there's a laptop and camera equipment in here. More importantly, its shape and size will not be questioned by the airport personnel.

Here's what the pack looks like, though in this one they've stuffed the top to fill it out, on mine that area is mostly empty so it has more of a teardrop shape.

This is not the speedy-shooting setup, for that I might get one of these belt clips:
http://photojojo.com/store/awesomeness/capture-camera-clip/

Terry

Liza that plate on the bottom of the camera will be pretty big on a NEX 5. It will protrude out in all directions.

LizaWitz

Good point. The modo-steady's quick-release plate sticks out quite a bit itself. And of course, swapping out incompatible quick-release plates doesn't ultimately save you any time.

LizaWitz

Liza, Im just curious why you wouldn't use a strap rather than something like this belt-QR setup?
For the past year I've been using the PacSafe strap below. It is very secure, it has steel cables in it, and it is not easy or quick to get on and off the camera. This is great for theft protection, but I find it gets in the way a bit. It doesn't help me when shooting video because I hold the camera up higher and closer to me (So no tension on the strap.) I also have gotten tired of walking around with the camera around my neck like a tourist, and find myself constantly moving the camera in and out of the backpack or coat. For much of the year (when it isn't summer) I carry the camera in a coat pocket, and the strap adds quite a bit to the bulk and hassle of getting it in and out of the coat pocket.

This upcoming year I have a modo-steady which I'm hoping to tune to do steady cam walk-and-talk shooting. (I know it's not the nicest choice, but it is very compact, light and we're very highly mobile.) The moto-steady also support shooting with a rifle-stock configuration in the shoulder. We've upgraded our bag situation a bit, since we have to check bags anyway, and I will probably be carrying a real tripod.

Thus there are many shooting configurations:
1. In and out of pocket.
2. "steadicam"
3. Rifle-stock/shoulder mount
4. On tripod
5. Summer where there's no coat pocket, which means in and out of backpack.

I think a wrist strap might take care of 1 & 5 for the most part, making it easier to get in and out of the coat or pack, without the hassle of the big strap.

I have also been looking at the rapid over the shoulder strap: http://www.blackrapid.com/ but not sure it won't be a hassle. Sometimes, for instance in museums, cameras are not allowed so I can't just walk around with the camera out.

2&3 use one quick release, while 4 uses a different one, which gives me the prospect of switching quick releases (the moto maxi tripod, which I think uses the same quick release, seems to be off the market, otherwise it seems to fit my needs pretty darn well and would resolve that.)

Terry

Liza,
I was just in the Crumpler store in SF and they have a new line of camera inserts. They are styled like the mountainsmith but come in three sizes. Depending on your lenses the NEX may even work in the smallest. I was going to head back there tomorrow with a camera and lenses or two. In the meantime, have look on their website.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I use a bunch of Domke wraps for my M lenses, then just throw them in whatever bag or briefcase is handy.

Best,

Matt

LizaWitz

Terry-
Are you talking about the Crumpler Haven? I linked to the the Large size as the first link in the first post... It has shifted in and out of being a contender as I work explore my options. My thoughts on the best approach have turned out to be fluid. The cheap BBJ bag I linked to earlier is too flimsy. Tonight I bought a LowePro Adventura 140 at Walmart ($24).

It fits in the bag much better, but the flap used to close the bag is very long and problematic when the lowepro is inside the backpack. So I'm thinking about getting the LowePro Apex 140 (second picture) which opens from the top and has no flap. I think I can put it in my backpack and zip it mostly closed to keep the camera in.

With the Adventura, when the top is open, if I shift the backpack on its side the camera comes scooting out, so it isn't secure enough.

While I'm at it, I bought the Mountainsmith Kit Cube as well, since it is free shipping both ways on Amazon.

I figure I'm going a bit overboard here, but I really want to get the right setup. When things are just right this will be really cool-- carrying a laptop, and complete camera kit and looking like I'm carrying nothing.

Also, with these new options (though maybe not the mountain smith) I can fit the modo steady to the side of the bag, and possibly, a tripod on the other side-- if I can find a small enough tripod that fits will handle the max weight of the camera (2 lbs. Found one that folds up to 11", but had a 1 lb. weight limit.)

@MGrayson - Thanks for the recommendation of the dome wraps. Unfortunately, the backpack space is a big open area, and I want to divide it up...would take up less space if I went with your approach but doesn't really fit my style.

simonclivehughes

Liza,

A couple of thoughts...

I have one of the original "Y-Straps", very similar too, but much simpler than the Black Rapid strap. It actually works quite well and the camera can be easily removed from the strap. I find it works best under a jacket, where the camera is still very easy to reach, but for the most part, is out of sight.

Another possibility might be something like the Lowepro Rover AW series backpacks where the camera bag insert section is in the bottom of the pack and the pack hinges open for relatively easy access. The upper portion of the pack is then free for normal daypack usage. It might be too big for your needs though, but anyway, you can see it here:

http://products.lowepro.com/product/Rover-AW-II,2024,14.htm

I took the Lowepro badge off mine to keep it low-key, and have used it many, many times. It can carry quite a comprehensive M43 or NEX kit and it is a very comfortable bag, with the full harness etc. Also, a fold-out tripod carrier is built-in.

Good luck!

Ciao,

Terry

Liza - it was the Crumpler....forgot to go back to your first post.

OK here is the backpack I'm using each day for work. Timbuk2 Amnesia. It has a big open compartment, separate padded laptop area and some other pockets. It actually may be interesting for you because you can get to the gear pretty easily.

http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/backpacks/top-backpacks/amnesia-backpack

Sorry the pictures are not my best but I need to go out and scavenge for some breakfast.

The mountainsmith right now has the kit lens on left, NEX5 with 18-200 center and Alpha 50 f1.4 with adapter on the right. Right now there is too much space and it would need additional dividers to get the stuff snug. This is where the Crumpler in a smaller size might work pretty well.

You can see the laptop compartment on the side. That is a 15" MacBook Pro showing.

There is plenty of space to put a jacket or other stuff above it in the bag.