The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Converting Daypack to Camera Bag for NEX & 2 Lenses

LizaWitz

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm working to recreate something like what Terry's got going on there, but with the specific daypack I already have. I need to use this pack because it integrates with my checked bag into one big backpack/rolling bag system.

Here's a picture:

In the picture on the right you can see the daypack attached to the larger rolling pack. I'm working to convert that daypack into a camera bag (it already has a laptop compartment.)

Unfortunately, it is relatively small, around 13" across at the bottom, and about 16" deep at the bottom, with the sides coming in at an angle. The triangle of the bottom shows the actual shape-- so much shallower at the edges than in the middle.

I was looking at something that wasn't too deep that would fit the whole width and sorta compress to fit the pack, but I don't like that solution. Now I have the adventure 140 small shoulder bag that fits in the center, and this IS a workable solution, but I'm looking at optimizing it further.

I have looked at packs like the Rover. A small photo backpack like that would probably fit completely in the day pack itself! :ROTFL: This kinda neglects the point of the daypack because then I can run around with the Rover. I'm not dismissing it out of hand, it is a good suggestion and I have considered doing something like that a couple times.

However, one of Terry's suggestions-- the Kata internal compartment that they ship with some of their bags, led me down another path.

I went to the Kata website looking to see if they sold the compartment by itself. And found the Kata Hybrid, two bags combined into one:

This was very useful, because it gave me the idea of, instead of getting one bag for the center, getting a couple small, specific bags and a modular belt might work. This way when shooting on location the belt can become the audio recordist's equipment belt, and when in the pack, can separate the modules. I don't need to find just the right sized bag, but just a couple modules... and that's seemingly much easier.

I'm researching those modules now...

Last edited:

Terry

That is so funny because I almost added some different photos and was going to say look at the ThinkTank Photo bum bag and a couple of other modular belt pieces.

I was thinking if you went to a museum where you had to check your backpack you could just take out the critical bits. I have the bum bag and attached a strap from something else to it for a shoulder bag and it can go on the waist strap of a backpack or you can get the ThinkTank belt. The bum bag won't hold the whole kit and the shape certainly isn't optimized for it but look at their modules. The bum bag won't give you the full padding you want but is a useful item to throw in your backpack

www.thinktankphoto.com

think

LizaWitz

Thanks very much for the help, and I appreciate the pictures especially. It is so hard to find good product pictures, even on amazon the mountain smith just has 3 studio shots, and studio shots on a white background make it very hard to tell scale!

Apologies if this whole thread seems a bit OCD. We've got just a couple weeks here in the states before heading out again, and this is a bit of a refitting frenzy.

Anyway, I stumbled across some things Sony shooters might find useful:

I've also been looking at tripods. I was waffling between getting one with a "hydraulic" head that was cheap (to do good pans for video) but suspect that cheap and hydraulic do not co-exist. I was looking at this one, which claims to be it for about $40 (dolica MT-600)

http://www.dolica.com/products/ST%2d600.html

But the Dolica is too big to fit in the daypack, and Manfrotto has a new compact line that is reasonably priced. So, a video tripod that closes down to 18" and a photo one that can be compressed to 16" but still gets "tall" when extended. I'm getting the MKC3-H01 for about $50:
http://www.manfrotto.com/product/0/MKC3-H01/_/COMPACT_PHOTO-MOVIE_KIT_BLACK

16" is pretty compact!

The Black Widow Holster/Clip. Designed for lightweight cameras.
http://www.spiderholster.com/black-widow-holster.html

Even has a solution for my issue with using both the clip and a quick attach plate for a tripod:

Last edited:

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Now I have a small daypack (20L actually) that I'd like to convert to a camera bag, at least part-time, by putting an insert into it.
Take a look at the Kata DR-466i... I use it with a Leica M9 and lenses. The photo gear goes in a bottom compartment that opens separately. The divider between the day section and the photo section can be removed and the photo insert pulled out, giving you a pretty decent day pack shell. I've hiked plenty with a small tripod (Velbon Carmagne 520 with Acratech head) strapped to it and it's just fine for that. The tripod may swing a little, but it's no big deal. Most straps can be removed when not in use so there's not a bunch of loose dangly stuff to get caught. Seems quite durable, too, and doesn't terribly look like a photo bag.

LizaWitz

Got the Mountainsmith Cube in today. First off, two things strike me about this product-- it is extremely light! I thought the box was empty! Still with good padding inside for the camera, but almost no weight. Second, it is super robust. The outside fabric is tough bag fabric, as if it is meant to be a bag on its own. In regards to fit and finish and all that, I absolutely love it.

I'm having some trouble with the drawstring. It's a bungie and the push lock is covered by some fabric which makes it pretty cumbersome to open and close.

LizaWitz

Figured I should post an update. I don't have pictures yet because still finalizing the packing, and haven't had a chance to lay it all out... still tweaking.

But the solution was a LowePro Rezo 170, with a Click Elite Small Lens Case, and a Pelican 1060 waterproof hard box inside it. Above that is a GatorCases Headphone case.

This means, in a very small backpack, I can fit an entire studio:
Macbook Pro
Manfroto Tripod
Audio Department: Sennheiser Headphones, 4 batteries, Zoom H1N, Audio Teknica Lavalier Mic, assorted cables etc and adapters, all fit in the GatorCase (which my sound guy can wear as a purse on location.)
Video Department: The LowePro fits the NEX-5, 18-200, the 35mm f1.7 C-mount "Fujian", and the amount 16mm with the Ultra-wide adapter on it in the lower half. The upper half is the Pelican case-- this gives the LowePro rigidity to prevent the Tripod from pushing into it, and contains about 8 NEX batteries, the Sony charger, the Sony External Microphone, the flash, and my SD card case.
Also in the backpack is my travel wallet (which is pretty big itself) and the backup drive (in its own case).... and there's still room!

For flights the tripod goes in the checked bag, and for shooting, I leave out the travel wallet, etc.

The end result, not only fits in Airplane Carry-on size restrictions (even the really bad ones outside the US) but it is so damn small, and looks so tiny when worn, that I'm unlikely to be questioned about it. Everything in the checked bag is something I can afford to lose-- clothes, a monopod and the tripod, etc. Could even cary the tripod aboard if I wanted to, it looks like, though it was only $60, so replaceable.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do if/when I get the 50mm f1.8 E-Mount lens, probably give up the fujian and might have to keep the ultra wide adapter stored elsewhere. There's still space in the pack, one good sized pocket that's not even being used yet!

So, much thanks to whomever suggested the rezo (or another LowePro pack)... that sent me down the path to ultimatly getting this together. I bought and returned several smaller packs before finding the rezo 170 was perfect.

M

mprz32

I have not read everyone's response so I'm sorry If I give repeat info. Depending on how much camera equipment you have with you there are a few options. When I travel and need most of my photo gear(camera body, 70-200,about 4 other lenses, 2 speedlights, cards, batteries, I use my lowepro backpack. Another solution is if your not carrying a whole lot of equipment and need more of general use messenger bag is The One Bag from Undfind. Its a great camera bag for a few lenses when you put in the photo insert and great for general use as well! I hope this helps a bit.