The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEX-7 Impressions

segedi

Great video (actually found that before finding this post). Hope to order mine from TCS - thanks Jordan!

toobacat

How loud was the shutter? I haven't been too interested in a NEX until this camera, but a friend with a NEX-5 told me the only thing he didn't like about it was the loud shutter.

How loud was the shutter? I haven't been too interested in a NEX until this camera, but a friend with a NEX-5 told me the only thing he didn't like about it was the loud shutter.
It should be the same as the 5N, which is considerably better than the 5 due to the electronic first curtain shutter. All you hear now is the sound of the mechanical curtain closing (as opposed to opening AND closing). The sound seems to be dampened some as well.

etrigan63

I just got some bad news from my dealer. He just spoke to his Sony rep and the NEX-7 will be shipped in November, but the Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 has been pushed back to December. I guess I will just have to be patient...

TCSJordan

The shutter is (slightly) quieter than the NEX-3&5. It's still louder than most M4/3 cameras and the X100, but much quieter than a traditional DSLR.

jonoslack

I just got some bad news from my dealer. He just spoke to his Sony rep and the NEX-7 will be shipped in November, but the Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 has been pushed back to December. I guess I will just have to be patient...
Well Carlos - there are truths in the world, and one of them is that dealers don't seem to know about deliveries! (and reps aren't much better)
My A77 was due mid october, and it was delivered to my dealer out of the blue at the end of September, without warning (and they are one of the biggest dealers in the country).

I guess it'll arrive when it arrives.

all the best

Terry

Carlos - I always thought it was a November release. I just assumed the October rumors were wishful thinking.

etrigan63

there are several adaptors available on eBay. I picked up one by Rainbow (I think) for about $20. There are more expensive ones as well.

jonoslack

Jono, I think you might change your mind once you receive the hawk's helicoid ;)
Well, you may easily be right . . mind you, at the moment I don't have a camera to put an adapter on (5n has gone back to hong kong and the 7 hasn't arrived!)

Jonas

I have both and ftm I'm actually using the Metabones while the Hawk is lying in a drawer.

The Metabones feels sturdy, zero play. The CV35/1.2 II goes to 0.5m as it is so there is no need for the Hawk adapter with that lens. The Hawk adapter will come in very handy if I fall in love with some old RF lens focusing down to a meter or so only.

johnnygoesdigital

My 35 "cron has been sitting in a box, but now perhaps i'll introduce it to the NEX-7...when I get one. I'm very curious about wireless flash sync and shutter lag too.

JimBuchanan

Jono, I think you might change your mind once you receive the hawk's helicoid ;)
Not trying to be too negative as I also have a lens extender, the Leica OUFRO, for enabling M lenses to focus closer. Most M lenses, were designed to give optimal image quality within the designed focus range. A lens with a minimum focus distance of .7 meters will continue image degradation shorter than .7 meters with an extension. The only M lens I am aware of that is optimized for closer than infinity is the 90mm M macro. If one is looking for closer focusing with a M mount lens, the extenders like the hawks and OUFRO will work, but if one wanted to retain IQ at close focusing with a EVF/LCD Sony camera then why not look at a SLR macro lens with adapter?