The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony's Thai factory--total loss

etrigan63

Ok, here I can agree with your assessment. Retooling a facility is not the same as establishing an entirely new one. That was the kind of contingency planning I am hoping the Sony and the others have in place.

Your pipe break example is not applicable in this case, however. To make it similar, the pipe break has to not only flood out the office, but the IT facility and the local Internet NAP in the process, clobbering cell towers and collapsing microwave transmission towers leaving only satellite communications in the short term. Now set yourself up to handle this twice over, test it twice a year, and you are now DR certified.

For the record, the offsite facilities in New York and Denver belong to IBM and we are leasing capacity in their data centers. We maintain synced copies of all our major systems on their storage facilities (mirrored SANs) and have a set of instructions for the staff there on deployment of those systems on their mainframes to cover us until the on-call staff from our office can be flown there to supervise. Generally, in the case of a hurricane, when the Emergency Operations Center is activated to level 2, they are flown to those facilities ahead of the storm.

And when I said we have three facilities geographically spread out, I was talking about locally in Miami-Dade County. The facilities in upstate New York and Denver are secondary and tertiary to the ones in Florida. Hence the term "disaster plans for disaster plans."

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Nikon probably has a much bigger problem than Sony here, since Sony can choose between several factories to pick up production. Nikon doesn't have that possibility, at least not short term, since 90% of their DSLR production was concentrated at one location, together with some of the high volume lenses.

I won't say too much about Thailand's water management and the crisis management surrounding this, at least not on an online forum, but this was a disaster waiting to happen. The Ayuttaya province has been flooded deliberately for many years to avoid flooding in Bangkok. It was only a question of time before the situation got out of hand. Considering these floods have been coming with different strength every year for centuries, the whole situation is... I don't really know...

Last edited:

Jonas

(...)
I hope the people there get the helps that they need. I can wait for a camera.
I agree.
Long term planning for building and maintain working infra structure seem to be a problem for many administrations and politicians.

m_driscoll

This was added to the A____ site on the Sony Nex 7 order page:

Shopping for a Compact System Camera?
Due to manufacturing concerns, availability of select Sony products are currently constrained. Some products may be temporarily unavailable from Amazon.com. We're working hard to offer our customers the product selection they expect, but in the event we don’t have the camera you’re looking for in stock, feel free to check out products from Panasonic, Olympus and Nikon. These sleek new cameras with lens versatility are available today from Amazon.com. See all products

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thank you Douglas and Jono!

Wellies or not, there is no way I would be stepping in that water :D
I did a couple of weeks ago, in Ayuttaya before it got really flooded. You can feel all kinds of objects passing you under the water, and you never now if it's a plastic bag, a rat or a snake. There's also the risk of infections. Not recommended!

This is inside a local shopping mall.

L1 with PanaLeica 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5 @ 36mm and f/3.4

edwardkaraa

Nice one, Jorgen! At least the water looks blue (well, kind of greenish), unlike the filthy brown one we are seeing on TV footage.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Nice one, Jorgen! At least the water looks blue (well, kind of greenish), unlike the filthy brown one we are seeing on TV footage.
Unfortunately, the colour is just the transparent ceiling being reflected. The water was as unappetizing as any city flood water.

Terry

Wow - Jurgen I didn't realize that you were right there.
Best wished to all.

Where does that water eventually need to go in order to recede? Does that mean lots more flooding to come in other areas?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Wow - Jurgen I didn't realize that you were right there.
Best wished to all.

Where does that water eventually need to go in order to recede? Does that mean lots more flooding to come in other areas?
The water needs to get past Bangkok. There are two problems:

- Bangkok is between the flood and the ocean and the river that is supposed to carry the flood goes right through the city.

- The whole central Thailand is some 10 meters above sea level and Bangkok only 2 meters above. That means that the water moves extremely slowly and that any variations in tides have great impact on the progress.

Due to the moon phase, the tide may become particularly high in about one week, which means that the tide can be pushing at least 10-20 kilometers up the river. Ayuttaya will probably be more or less under water for another month or longer.

Unfortunately, instead of trying to carry the water as fast as possible through/past Bangkok, the policy has been to limit the flow by flooding rice fields north of the city. For Bangkok, where these decisions are made, that has worked fine until this year, but not any longer. There's too much water this time and too many counterproductive decisions have been made.

m_driscoll

Pretty horrific...and, almost zero coverage here? I'll put to rest my petty concerns over getting a NEX 7 and just hope that all of those people pull through. They've always looked (based on Jorgen's fine photos) very resilient.

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

CharlesK

Do wish all the people of Thailand, as well as Jorgen and Edward the best of luck in these very difficult times.

monza

I just spoke to a Sony sales rep who indicated there is nothing official at this point from Sony regarding NEX 7 delays.

I also inquired about the pending Zeiss 24/1.8 E-mount....it's made in Japan, not Thailand.