The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nex vs A77 vs A580 vs A900 vs others

dhsimmonds

YES . . . . really yes

So does the NEX 5n
+1

Also Godfrey hit the nail on the head, it does take a little while to get really familiar and comfortable with any new camera using the latest technology.

However, I do have to add that the A77 is very comfortable for me having used the A700 and A900 before. It has just got that familiar Sony family feel about it. The EVF has not stopped me getting a shot........yet!

In fact it has enabled me to capture action images I most certainly wouldn't have got with the A700 and probably not with the A900 either even though the last A900 firmware update certainly improved AF speed.

The A77 is not without it's faults, what camera is? I don't like the way the EVF freezes the image immediately after capture. The freeze only lasts a split second, it makes no difference to getting the shot but I just simply find it annoying!

I will get used to it but it will take a few weeks of use for me to mentally accept this annoyance in the total realisation of the useful advantages this VF gives me.

Would I go back to using the A700......not on anyone's life! :D

m_driscoll

Just picked up the A77 today at my local camera store. I figure that i had several Sony Zeiss lenses (for NEX use); so why not? Don't know why they received two of them today and nobody else has them? I'll do a little learning and shooting tomorrow.

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

philip_pj

Freedom of choice is a mixed blessing when technology moves too fast.
If Sony improve the EVF by the same extent from the A77 to the A99 as they did from the A55 to the A77, they may well end up with more enthusiasts buying it than is widely expected. Will it be physically larger, for example?

dh: "I have only used the A77 for four days, but already I know that this camera is capable of everything that my A900 does."

It won't shoot the full frame of a Zeiss 21mm f2.8!

Jono, great news re the EVF and in particular the focus speaking. I sometimes struggle with the A900 with one of my Contax lenses - I shoot only manual focus lenses, all of them from legacy systems.

If you read this, can you offer your opinion as to how well it works in low light please, the focus peaking that is? I know the EVF lights up with gain and loses shadow detail...I ask because I have some trouble focusing the Contax 100-300mm (a slow lens but excellent and therefore fussy with focus) in poor light, either bright sun or evening.

So I am another waiting on the 'best fit' full frame from Sony (there may be several) to *complement* the A900, from which I really like the files also. I figure to get used to whatever comes along for the four years newer sensor, can't wait actually.

Godfrey, your first post is the best thing I have read for quite some time!

dhsimmonds

Philip

Yes you are correct as all my A900 lenses become 1.5 crop including the best of the bunch IMHO the Zeiss 135 F1.8 as it becomes a very fast Zeiss 200mm F1.8 on the A77, which for some of my wildlife work is a very useful lens indeed! :D

I am finding that the F2.8 16-50 Sony DT lens looks after my "wider" interests perfectly adequately with the bonus that it is dust and moisture sealed like the A77. I have yet to put my favourite wide Zeiss 16-35 F2.8 lens on the A77, it stays on the A900 almost permanently!

Paratom

Just had the idea of a mirrorless Pentax camera which would take the small Pentax limited primes. Those lenses would be perfect for such a small camera.

I am still debating with myself what are the benefits of an A77 over the Nex 7 (I guess lens choices -if one wants to use AF lenses there are much more and faster options when using the SLR lenses on the A77 than those Nex lenses on the Nex) and probably faster AF?

We also said one big plus for EVF in the Nex7 is focus peaking for M-glass.
But I cant get M glass on the A77 so what makes tha A77 better than the A900?
Is the size of the A77 comparable small like the Pentax K5?

jonoslack

Just had the idea of a mirrorless Pentax camera which would take the small Pentax limited primes. Those lenses would be perfect for such a small camera.

I am still debating with myself what are the benefits of an A77 over the Nex 7 (I guess lens choices -if one wants to use AF lenses there are much more and faster options when using the SLR lenses on the A77 than those Nex lenses on the Nex) and probably faster AF?

All good questions - the only one with a real answer is that the A77 is bigger than the K5 (surprisingly it's exactly the same size as the Olympus E1) - however, it's not much bigger, and it's around the same weight.
Personally I think it's better ergonomically -but that isn't a real answer.

Not sure about A77 benefits over the NEX7 (as I don't have a NEX7!)

jonoslack

I thought the a-mount registration distance was much too long for M-mount glass. Am I wrong about that?

Regards
John
Hi John
No - as you say, the A mount registration distance is too far - which is why Tom said he couldn't get M glass on his A77.
all the best

Paratom

Hi John
No - as you say, the A mount registration distance is too far - which is why Tom said he couldn't get M glass on his A77.
all the best
Dont have one yet. It is on pre-order but I am still undecided if I will take it or not.

douglasf13

The Pentax pancakes still need an extra 25mm-ish of registration distance to function properly, compared to NEX, so the size advantage is essentially eliminated when compared to many M lenses.

Paratom

Don't touch it Tom . . . I don't want to have any responsibility for you buying an other camera you don't like :eek:
It would not be the first time ;)

I am still in "the circle of confusion",not only regarding the A700 but also regarding some of the cameras I own. The only system which is 99% "safe" is the M9.

jonoslack

It would not be the first time ;)

I am still in "the circle of confusion",not only regarding the A700 but also regarding some of the cameras I own. The only system which is 99% "safe" is the M9.
I think I'm rather settled for the time being - after much experimentation. The bottom line is always the M9 though.

G

gplatt

YES . . . . really yes

So does the NEX 5n

Hi Jono,

I bought your Nex-5 a year or so ago. I didn't use it for a year, and thought I'd never use it (as I really missed a view finder) but with peaking the camera is great. I can imagine how much more I'd like the 5N but I think I will likely skip it and get the Nex7 when it comes out.

I'll have to go look into the Hawks Helicoid adapter though. I still use the Kipon I got from you.

regards
Guy

jonoslack

Hi Jono,

I bought your Nex-5 a year or so ago. I didn't use it for a year, and thought I'd never use it (as I really missed a view finder) but with peaking the camera is great. I can imagine how much more I'd like the 5N but I think I will likely skip it and get the Nex7 when it comes out.

I'll have to go look into the Hawks Helicoid adapter though. I still use the Kipon I got from you.

regards
Guy
HI There Guy
I remember it well - and your blog too. I hope things are good with you.

Isn't it funny how much of a revelation the peaking actually is. I should have waited for the NEX7 as well - but I thought it would do as a backup. the Hawks adapter is great - I love the kit with the little 35 summarit on it - excellent good fun!

G

gplatt

HI There Guy
I remember it well - and your blog too. I hope things are good with you.

Isn't it funny how much of a revelation the peaking actually is. I should have waited for the NEX7 as well - but I thought it would do as a backup. the Hawks adapter is great - I love the kit with the little 35 summarit on it - excellent good fun!

I don't see any adapters described as "Hawks" on eBay, although I do see some Helicoid adapters advertised. Do you perhaps have a link to them?

I managed to find a Summarit 35 as well. I heard that Cam asked if you didn't want to sell me yours.

Life's good. I finally gave in and got a M9 and am busy blowing the kids' inheritance money on lenses -- or I would be if I could find lenses to spend it on :)

jonoslack

I don't see any adapters described as "Hawks" on eBay, although I do see some Helicoid adapters advertised. Do you perhaps have a link to them?

I managed to find a Summarit 35 as well. I heard that Cam asked if you didn't want to sell me yours.

Life's good. I finally gave in and got a M9 and am busy blowing the kids' inheritance money on lenses -- or I would be if I could find lenses to spend it on :)
Hi There
I'm glad to hear it! (good luck with the lens hunt)

The user name is hawks_factory this should get you to the auction I was on, maybe he needs an email?

Hawks factory adapter