The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Swivel EVF for 5N nearly essential

ustein

Contributing Editor
This picture shows why the swivel for the 5N EVF is so important:

I think I would miss it with a NEX-7.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>Surely you could use the LCD?

At this light yes, but in California sun?

>Still, catch me putting the NEX 5n on a tripod!

You better do as much as possible for video (this is a video head :)). And even more so for tests.

douglasf13

While I agree that a tilt EVF can be useful, I think you could just bend down a little more in the above pic, if you didn't have a tilt EVF, and you'd be fine. Or, you could put one of those little LCD shades on your LCD screen and bypass the EVF altogether.

ustein

Contributing Editor
Actually I think that once you like to use a swivel EVF you will miss it.

Actually if I wanted only to use the LCD I would need to ware glasses. Also with the EVF I can much better frame.

Jonas

I recall my old Konica_Minolta A2. It had a swiveling EVF and it came in handy every now and then.

I also recall my (now) old Panasonic G1 with a viewfinder and screen solution similar to the Nex-7 arrangement. It worked very well. Sometimes I wished for a swiveling viewfinder but for the most of the time the LCD screen worked very well. I need reading glasses for using the screen but whenever on tripod I used the screen anyway. I can't see loosing the swivel EVF when going from a Nex-5N to a NEX-7 as a big drama. A minor drawback, yes.

jonoslack

>Surely you could use the LCD?

At this light yes, but in California sun?

>Still, catch me putting the NEX 5n on a tripod!

You better do as much as possible for video (this is a video head :)). And even more so for tests.
HI Uwe
I was just being flippant - having spent some weeks in Crete with an EP3, the EVF was vital (whether it need to tilt or not is a different matter).
Personally, Video isn't my thing, but I accept that you need a tripod.

Tests? I don't think I'm going to bother much - I can see that the sensor is splendid, the kit zoom is very useable, and the Contax 45 f2 isn't too shabby either :ROTFL:

I've kind of committed - at least for the time being - to Sony and Leica and I'm happy enough with the IQ I'm getting.

all the best

Paratom

I have one for the xz1 and EP2 and allways felt the form factor be pretty ugly, also making a small camera difficult to pack, and myself allways afraid that I would brake this thing off one day.
How do you feel about the Nex viewfinder. Does it feel "external" or "integrated"?

jonoslack

I have one for the xz1 and EP2 and allways felt the form factor be pretty ugly, also making a small camera difficult to pack, and myself allways afraid that I would brake this thing off one day.
How do you feel about the Nex viewfinder. Does it feel "external" or "integrated"?
HI Tom
It screws in, and although it does look a little odd, you get used to it pretty fast. It's excellent quality - even better than the VF2 for the Olympus.

N

nocavat

just got my finder in the mail from hong kong in days, its great, going out to shoot up my lunch hour!

I'm with Uwe. After using the external EVF I think I would miss it on the 7. Yeah, you could use the LCD but it is nice having the EVF available. Tripod is optional :)

N

nocavat

loving the evf haven't taken if off the camera since i got it!

douglasf13

Actually I think that once you like to use a swivel EVF you will miss it.

Actually if I wanted only to use the LCD I would need to ware glasses. Also with the EVF I can much better frame.
Well, darn it, you're right, Uwe. The tilt on my newly arrived EVF is nice and puts the camera in a nice position while even hand holding.

Paratom

EVF how dark/bright?

I just picked up mine. First impression is quite good but it seems somewhat dark, even when set to bright. Not really bad but I would say somewhat darker than "the real thing".
Do you see the same?

Uaiomex

That's why the 45 degree viewfinder in Hasselblads were so popular. It is a very natural position to slightly lean the head. BTW, it makes some uneasy sitters feel more comfortable to be photographed this way.
Eduardo

Well, darn it, you're right, Uwe. The tilt on my newly arrived EVF is nice and puts the camera in a nice position while even hand holding.

douglasf13

That's why the 45 degree viewfinder in Hasselblads were so popular. It is a very natural position to slightly lean the head. BTW, it makes some uneasy sitters feel more comfortable to be photographed this way.
Eduardo
Yeah, I should have expected as much, seeing as I actually have the 45 degree finder that you're speaking of for my Hasselblads. :LOL: Between the tilt LCD and tilt EVF, the NEX-5N really has the digital/future equivalents of both the Hassie waist level finder and 45 degree prism. Pretty cool. :thumbup: