The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Luminous Landscape on NEX 5n

Godfrey

I had some time playing with my friend's NEX 5 and Leica adapter the past couple of weeks ... from the sound of it, the NEX 5n is a huge improvement.

Right now, between the NEX 5 and GXR-M is no comparison: the GXR-M is a much better performer for my interests with better controls, focusing, customization, etc. I'll have to try a NEX 5n and compare it to the Ricoh myself, it's the only way I'll be able to suss them out.

Amin

If you want limited depth of field . . . . . . then you need a full frame camera (or MF) - it simply isn't sensible to be getting hold of a small sensor camera (even if it's 'big small'). f1.4 lenses are going to be big (even on m43 or NEX) which rather destroys the point . . . and still won't really give you limited depth of field.
They may not meet your standard of what constitutes "limited DOF", but they give more shallow DOF than f/1.8 lenses, and of course they also allow 2/3 stop faster exposures.

The same argument could be made re: 90mm Elmarit vs 90mm Summicron. To one person, the additional lens speed and DOF control is worth the added bulk and expense. To another, they are not. The availability of such choices makes a system richer!

For me, the Oly 45/1.8 DOF control is sufficient, and the lens is perfectly compact :thumbs:.

jonoslack

Right now, between the NEX 5 and GXR-M is no comparison: the GXR-M is a much better performer for my interests with better controls, focusing, customization, etc. I'll have to try a NEX 5n and compare it to the Ricoh myself, it's the only way I'll be able to suss them out.
You'll need to borrow one for a bit - it really is customisable, but it's a bit unconventional, and takes a while to get your head around.

douglasf13

When I want shallow dof in a small package, the Notion 35/1.4 is my choice on Nex. I rarely shoot below f2 on a 135 sensor, so it works for me without much adjustment to my approach.

jonoslack

When I want shallow dof in a small package, the Notion 35/1.4 is my choice on Nex. I rarely shoot below f2 on a 135 sensor, so it works for me without much adjustment to my approach.
Never heard of a Notion :ROTFL:

I was shooting the NEX5n with the 35 summarit and the hawks helicoid adapter today - such fun (apologies if you've seen this elsewhere) - take from about 8"

douglasf13

Ha, Notion! I scored one of these HP Touchpads for $99 bucks, and the auto spelling correction is driving me nuts. iOS does a better job at this.

Hawks helicoid is the best!

Amin

When I want shallow dof in a small package, the Nokton 35/1.4 is my choice on Nex. I rarely shoot below f2 on a 135 sensor, so it works for me without much adjustment to my approach.
Wish I hadn't sold that lens. They cost so much more now than they did back when I bought one!

BobDavid

In theory, the NEX 5n sounds like a great camera. I checked it out at Sony Styles the other day. As much as I wanted to love the camera, the ergonomics i.e., menu-driven/ single dial control interface is too awkward. If it was a snap to adjust f/stop, shutter, and ISO, I'd bite the bullet and purchase the camera with the optional EVF. I am more interested in the NEX 5n sensor than the one in the NEX 7.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
In theory, the NEX 5n sounds like a great camera. I checked it out at Sony Styles the other day. As much as I wanted to love the camera, the ergonomics i.e., menu-driven/ single dial control interface is too awkward. If it was a snap to adjust f/stop, shutter, and ISO, I'd bite the bullet and purchase the camera with the optional EVF. I am more interested in the NEX 5n sensor than the one in the NEX 7.
+1

I have a C3, and I love the IQ. But the camera rarely gets used. I can't get to grips with the interface. I often switch between format, color, b &W, camera jpeg, and raw and I can't store custom settings for this. But the same is true for my a55, also a pain to change things on the fly.

Keith

jonoslack

HI Bob
Having spent a few hours customising the camera, I find it pretty good to use, the single dial is fiddly, but it does the aperture properly in A mode (which is mostly what I use).
I've got the custom button set up to do WB ISO focus type and the other dial pushes for exposure compensation and AE lock.
I don't use the menus much at all
Of course (see Keith's post) if you're changing back and forth with jpg settings then it is a fiddle - and the menus are irritatingly unconventional (I can never remember whether format is in camera or settings!).

Still - I'm finding the setup to be really good, and with a little trouble it works really well.