The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New in-depth review of NEX-7

douglasf13

That review speaks little to the IQ of NEX. Output images from both the nex5n and nex7 to the same size, and you'll see little difference in noise performance.

jfirneno

That review speaks little to the IQ of NEX. Output images from both the nex5n and nex7 to the same size, and you'll see little difference in noise performance.
Maybe you're right. I haven't gotten my hands on the NEX-7 yet to confirm that. The jpeg comparisons I've seen so far seem to give the 5N an edge as Huff implies. But they both have a better jpeg engine than my A-850 so either makes a good low-light alternative for casual indoor photos.

Regards,
John

jfirneno

Mr Huff must have been reading along on our discussion. He's got more testing coming up

He says "I will also be doing a side by side high ISO test with the 5n which will show you full size samples from each camera as well as downsized NEX-7 files to match the 5n. Should be fun".

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2011/...ng-wide-angle-leica-lenses-and-5n-comparison/

jonoslack

Steve is great - eternally optimistic and positive. . . . .

Which is pretty easy with modern cameras.

personally I don't think that we've seen what the Sony 24mp APS-c sensor is capable of yet . . . and I have that sensor in my A77.

One thing I'm sure of is that the NEX 5n is better at 100% (I've got one of these too). But I'm not sure that 100% is the right way to compare sensors of different resolution (actually, I'm certain it's the wrong way).

to be honest, I think that Steve's nicely laid back analysis is just as valuable as dpreview's more formal tests . . . (take that as you will :) )

jfirneno

One thing I'm sure of is that the NEX 5n is better at 100% (I've got one of these too). But I'm not sure that 100% is the right way to compare sensors of different resolution (actually, I'm certain it's the wrong way).

to be honest, I think that Steve's nicely laid back analysis is just as valuable as dpreview's more formal tests . . . (take that as you will :) )
I am looking forward to his comparisons because he has had a chance to use both cameras for an extended period. I think this will allow him to have a gut feeling about how they compare. All good info and basically only of theoretical interest for me until the NEX-7 is available to the general public, but still very exciting. The only thing that could be more exciting is if Sony announced a mirrorless full-frame. That would be cool.

jonoslack

The only thing that could be more exciting is if Sony announced a mirrorless full-frame. That would be cool.
I doubt that they'll do that - because it would need yet another lens mount - and it'd be big as well - or else have a large registration like an SLR - an SLT full frame seems really likely though.

all the best

jfirneno

I doubt that they'll do that - because it would need yet another lens mount - and it'd be big as well - or else have a large registration like an SLR - an SLT full frame seems really likely though.

all the best
Well if it has to be an SLT I hope they have the foresight to include an option to retract the beam splitter when desired to allow unobstructed images when fast AF isn't needed.

jonoslack

Well if it has to be an SLT I hope they have the foresight to include an option to retract the beam splitter when desired to allow unobstructed images when fast AF isn't needed.
I hadn't thought of that - they certainly should do it in the A77 as well . . .can't be too hard as the mirror is 'retractable'.

doug

... to be honest, I think that Steve's nicely laid back analysis is just as valuable as dpreview's more formal tests . . . (take that as you will :) )
I figure Steve's reports are from the right brain, dpreview's are from the left brain... I've got both left and right brain so both inputs are valuable :)

Bugleone

Is it possible that Sony (always a rotten company when it comes to policies) will cripple the IQ of NEX 7 to protect the A77 which will be a bit of a doorstop by comparison for most users?

Terry

Is it possible that Sony (always a rotten company when it comes to policies) will cripple the IQ of NEX 7 to protect the A77 which will be a bit of a doorstop by comparison for most users?
I don't think so. I think Sony wants to dominate the mirrorless market so it isn't protecting the A77 with the NEX7

etrigan63

I hadn't thought of that - they certainly should do it in the A77 as well . . .can't be too hard as the mirror is 'retractable'.
The mirror in the A77 can be moved out of the way for cleaning, but when you do that, the mirror juts out of the lens mount.

jfirneno

The mirror in the A77 can be moved out of the way for cleaning, but when you do that, the mirror juts out of the lens mount.
Being smart enough to figure out how to retract the mirror is their job. Buying one when they get smart enough to make it is mine.

philip_pj

'Is it possible that Sony (always a rotten company when it comes to policies) will cripple the...'

Not likely, that is more a Canon thing to do, like AF in the 5D series. Sony seem hellbent on doing just the opposite, the tiny and cheap NEXs with big APS-C performance are very well-received, especially the 5N. So lets hope they 'act in character'!

jfirneno

douglasf13

As I just mentioned on another thread (and Steve mentioned in his own comments under the review,) Steve Huff made the mistake of not keeping the exposures constant between the two cameras, and the NEX-7 is apparently getting less light to the sensor, because it is using faster shutter speeds. Looks like we need a retest.