The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

is it worth to put M glass on Nex vs Kit lens ?

Paratom

I am surprized how good the kit lens does on the Nex 5n.
Some quick and unscientific images I shot with the 21/2.8asph and 35 Summarit at same f-stop vs the kit didnt really show me that uch difference (other than more precise AF than my MF).
I see a reason to use the M-glass for faster f-stop and shallower DOF (which is mainly interesting 35mm and longer) but not much reason for wider lenses.

Do I oversee something or are my observations totally different from yours?
Maybe the kit does better on the 5n than on previous cameras.

jonoslack

I am surprized how good the kit lens does on the Nex 5n.
Some quick and unscientific images I shot with the 21/2.8asph and 35 Summarit at same f-stop vs the kit didnt really show me that uch difference (other than more precise AF than my MF).
I see a reason to use the M-glass for faster f-stop and shallower DOF (which is mainly interesting 35mm and longer) but not much reason for wider lenses.

Do I oversee something or are my observations totally different from yours?
Maybe the kit does better on the 5n than on previous cameras.
Hi Tom
I rather like the 35 summarit, because it's faster, and it's fun to use with the helicoid adapter - but I agree, the kit lens is better than it has a reasonable right to be.

How are you getting along with the camera generally?

Paratom

Hi Tom
I rather like the 35 summarit, because it's faster, and it's fun to use with the helicoid adapter - but I agree, the kit lens is better than it has a reasonable right to be.

How are you getting along with the camera generally?
Hi Jono,
thanks.
I like the 5n. I find that for its size it sits in my hands very good.(For some reason slightly more stable than the G3). Specially the grip has a good form factor. I am also positve surprized about the kit lens, and also used the 24/1.4 and 50/1.4 for some low light shots in a circus today-which worked ok - but I dont have the manual focus under control 100%.

I do like the IQ of the Nex 5n , sharp, nice tonality and color - all fine.

The other thing is that I shot a couple of quick comparisons with m4/3 (g3) and the IQ was very much alike (I had expected a clear advantage for Nex which I could not really detect in these few samples).

I am definatly interested in fast AF lenses like the 24 or 50 primes if I stay in this system, but the zoom works really good (if light is ok and if shallow DOF is not needed).

I think I will keep it and use it a lot with the kit lens.

Regards, Tom