The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEX-5N lens choice

P

Pontus

Hello forum, I've been lurking around for a while but decided it's time for my first post here. I'm a gear junky and I hide most of my lenses from someone I hope is not reading this forum.

I love my a900 and I have an extensive set of Minolta and Sony lenses. I also have some very nice legacy lenses (Contax G, C/Y Zeiss, Voigtländer etc.).

I'm going to buy the Sony NEX-5N for three reasons:
1) I want a camera that produces nice JPG pictures with a minimum of fuzz (I use the a900 in RAW mode for more demanding work).
2) I want to use my legacy lens collection on a digital camera
3) I want a small and light camera for travel

The thing is, I want to buy the NEX-5N as a kit. Which lens combination would you recommend?
- 18-55mm
- 16mm + 18-55mm
- 18-200mm

The kit lens(es) would be used for travel mostly.

Last edited:

Paratom

Depends if you like the 55-200mm range when you travel ;)
I choose the 16+18-55 but for travelling the 18-200 might be nice (if you are into nature and teleshooting).
On the other side I dont know if I wanted to carry a much bigger lens than the 18-55 on a Nex.

JCT

It's a tough decision, I am struggling with the same, but in my case it is for an NEX-7 (if I actually can get one).

I like the idea of an NEX body plus the 18-200 + the upcoming 50mm 1.8 to pair with my existing PenF 38mm f1.8.

But the size of the 18-200 makes me hesitate.

jonoslack

The 18-200 is sitting in front of me - it is quite big, but then it's also quite good. I do also have the 16mm and the 18-55 . . . . which is also quite good.

To be honest I'm happy to have all three lenses - they all have their moments, so in your position I think I'd work out the cheapest way of getting them all.

N.B. the 18-200 is much better than most lenses of that ilk, and a NEX5 with it and a viewfinder is a very small thing compared to an A900.