The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony 50/1.4 or Sigma 50/1.4 on A900?

M

memories

Hi

I would like to hear your experience with the lenses Sony 50/1.4 or Sigma 50/1.4 on fullframe (24MP) .

I found at dpreview a comparison charts between the two everyone can play with at different apertures and on different camera models:

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews...izontal&&config=LensReviewConfiguration.xml?2

Since I do not trust tests on the internet, I am looking for real life experiences with both lenses on fullframe.

I am planning to use the lens expecially wide open. Let's say from 1.4 up to 4.0 in 95% of the cases.

Both, at near distance and also 3-5 meters away @1.4 for street shooting to separate the backgroud from the main subject.

FlypenFly

Check kurtmunger, he did an extensive comparison. I like the performance of the sigma but haaaaate the finish of the body and the size is a bit big.

Paratom

I have the Sony, but the Sigma for Nikon.
What I found especially good with the Sigma is that it shows not as much vignetting as many 50/1.4mm lenses when used wide open. It also shows a very nice bokeh.
However I am not totally sure about the color rendering of the Sigma.
Personally I went back to use the 50/1.4g on Nikon or the Sony 50/1.4 on Sony (but have not much experiece with the Sony lens)

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
I use the Sony 50/1.4 on an A850 in the studio regularly, and I find it superb. I usually use it at ƒ2, or ƒ2.8. It is definitely sharp at ƒ1.4, but the slice of sharpness is a but narrow for me. Not expensive, either.

Lars

Here is a recent comparison of 50mm lenses for Nikon F mount - obviously the Sony is not included. It shows some strengths and weaknesses of the Sigma. Warning - not a very good test but some of the comparison images are very enlightening.

http://nikonrumors.com/2011/11/03/s...r-nikon-f-mount-compared-by-cary-jordan.aspx/

I have the Sigma 50 for Nikon. Really love it for the way it renders defocus, to the point that I almost always use it wide open (with ND filter in sunlight).

The Sigma has its strengths and weaknesses. Let's start with weaknesses:

- Wide open, performance outside a 12mm radius is not so good. corners get smeared a bit, and for night shots there is significant coma. It's better at f/2, very good at f/2.8 and excellent at f/4. This is something to keep in mind when shooting at night - if you have to have street lighs in the corners then stepping down to f/2 will extend the great bokeh all the way into the corners.

- Like all lenses I have seen that are affordably priced, this lens is not apochromatic. Out of focus blown specular highlight/shadow transitions will sometimes show green/magenta edge casts.​

Strengths:

- Internal focusing is always nice, makes for a sturdier construction. It isn't true IF though, rather the entire lens group moves inside the barrel. This means air is drawn into the camera body but the lens does not breathe air in between its elements. Keeping a filter on at all times will prevent the lens from drawing in outside air.

- Center circle resolution is great even wide open (with my sample).

- Fall-off wide open is less than any other 50 I have used or seen tested against it. See link above.

- Bokeh is to die for. It's absolutely magic. This is one of two lenses I have a emotional attachment to.​

Build quality: it isn't metal, but it's the best composite construction I have used. I am not so worried about composite construction in primes, it's more of an issue with zooms. the solid barrel construction helps. Manual focus feel is decent for an AF lens. The included hood stays on nice and tight.

I was worried about the matte coating Sigma uses, that it would wear quickly, but so far (almost two years) it's handled field use pretty well.

Sigma has a reputation for inconsistent build quality. I cannot comment on that from experience as I only have one Sigma lens. Sigma seems to have had some problems with getting Canon EOS focusing compatible - no idea about Sony.

If defocus rendering is a priority for you (rather than general performance) then this is a lens for you. Rather than capturing reality, the Sigman creates beautiful images. I see it as a bit of a special lens, with a lot of character. Perhaps see it as a complement to a general purpose 50, partly because if its weight. For Nikon I think it complements a 50/1.8 well.

M

memories

Hi Lars,

thanks for your thoughts. That helps a lot. I looked at the link you posted.

I was shocked that the Zeiss ZF 50/1.4 was not better. Actually amongst the worst in the 7-lens-comparison.

It is strange how different test results are, depending on who is testing what. At dpreview, it looks like the Sigma would be the winner allover Nikon 50mm lenses. But the nikonrumour test states that the Sigma is only better @f1.4 and from f1.8 the Nikon would be better.

I guess I have to compare the Sony in a store side by side with the Sigma and the Zeiss to get a better feeling for it...

Any other comments / experiences are welcome.

Lars

Yes the Zeiss looks pretty bad in that test. Zeiss designers seem to prioritize resolution and other quality factors of lens design before the more subjective bokeh. Or perhaps they just went cheap with a simple design for that specific lens, to keep margins up. Also keep in mind that the tester does not have the credibility that some more experienced testers have, such as dpreview and dxo.