The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A77 vs. D7000 or 7D

dkamp

Hello Everyone,

I had my eye on a D7000 with 17-55f2.8 or a 7D with 24-105f4L until Sony launched the A77 with 16-50f2.8 lens. The Sony seems like a great package for somewhat less money than the other two solutions. I had a chance to play with the A77 at a local store and I liked it very much. For those of you who have purchased the A77, are you happy with your decision? If any of you considered the D7000 or 7D, what led you to the Sony?

My best to you all and thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Richard

etrigan63

As has been said before, it entirely depends on your style of shooting. I am waiting till Sony releases firmware v2 before I begin to take a serious look at it. However, I shoot dance professionally and high ISO is a requirement (ranging from 3200-5000). I got a little hands-on time at PhotoPlus and everything physically about the camera is fantastic for what I do, but I find the high ISO shots a bit weak at the moment even in RAW. Hopefully firmware updates will take care of this (Sony has a history of doing just that).

dkamp

Thanks Carlos! I took another look at the A77 today and it's ironic that a professional photographer who happened to be at the store, said the same thing you did. He said he loved the camera, but if it were his decision, he would wait until Sony came out with their latest firmware updates for the camera. Basically, give it a few months, let the bugs get worked out, and then "go for it".

Thanks again for your timely response.

Your photographs are beautiful by the way. All the best...

jonoslack

O Kay
As far as the high ISO - I'm with Carlos; I don't think the dust has settled yet, and I'm expecting a new firmware version in short order. Having said that, for my stuff, which really isn't much higher than 1600, it's fantastic.

The camera itself is (I think) a no-brainer; it's a delight to use, fast, intuitive, all the buttons you need, but of course, you have to get over the EVF hump - I still don't 'like' them, but I'm willing to trade in the aesthetic for the wonder of being able to see exposure and white balance.

But . . . the real unmentioned killer . . . is the ability to use other manufacturers lenses . . . like Leica R lenses - focus peaking makes focusing really easy either in the viewfinder or on the LCD, and of course, you no longer need to stop down meter either.

I'd recommend that you find one to play with for an hour or so, and then wait for a week or so for the version 2 firmware to see about the high ISO.

Me? you couldn't prise it out of my cold dead hands - I love it!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Shot a lot at ISO 800 the other night no different than anything else, its pretty well controlled after that its a little noisy. Today i shot a PR event and it was brilliant to use a lot of fill in flash with A mode no less and it made me look like i knew what I was doing. ROTFLMAO

So far I am pretty happy but my biggest issue so far is buttons are close together and easy to change. i have to constantly watch what I am doing or i could change something. Like one issue today was fixing my diopter and hit the record video button. Well I was in Raw +jpeg mode and after getting off video the dang thing switched to Raw only. Which was kind of upsetting since I was giving these folks the jpegs but I had to actually process 300 images which took a little time which i was not planning on. It was a freebie for a charity golf event.

bensonga

But . . . the real unmentioned killer . . . is the ability to use other manufacturers lenses . . . like Leica R lenses - focus peaking makes focusing really easy either in the viewfinder or on the LCD, and of course, you no longer need to stop down meter either.
Do you have a specific adapter in mind Jono for Leica R to the A77? Leitax or something else?

Gary

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
I got my A77 the end of last week. I've owned both the Canon 7D and the Nikon D3/D700. Both with the best glass Canon & Nikon make. After just a weekend, this is a no brainer. The A77 is pretty darn amazing, especially given the cost. The 24-70 Zeiss is STELLAR! Best 24-70 of the lot, in my opinion. At lower ISO settings, this combo is off the charts superior to anything I've used short of MF. Kind of reminds me in some ways of the Leica DMR, it just falls nicely to hand.

I've had a real adjustment to the EVF like the rest of you. Not sure yet if that will grow on me, or I will grow to hate it. Still too new, so hard to tell. I've also had similar strange button press stuff going on like you have Guy, but again that is probably just the getting used to a new body for me. It always takes me a couple weeks to get familiar with using any new camera system.

I will also say this. Both the 24-70 and the 135 Zeiss lenses are top drawer. I've seen a lot of glass over double the cost of these that can't hold a candle to them. Zeiss and Sony seem to have really hooked up with a magic combination here. I'm looking forward to higher ISO firmware, but if I were you guys I would not wait another day pulling the trigger on one of these. Not sure if they are going to be available for awhile, since the Sony plant in Thailand went underwater. Sure am glad I already got mine!

dkamp

Thank you all very much for your responses. You have really helped me solidify my decision to get the A77. It's a dynamite package given the cost for the kit.

Chuck, I was thinking the same as you. This camera, along with some of the Zeiss glass, would be a great combination.

Thanks again!

Guy Mancuso

Yes end of day it will come down to adjustments from us to get the control we are used too. It's hard changing our older spots as we are so far tuned into what was. The new EVF is going to take some time but I shot about 400 images this morning and my on target focus rate was very high and in C1 has a nice look on the images. I agree noise can use a second firmware revision but even so you can control it prett good too. BTW on jpegs I knocked the sharpness down 1 and contrast down 1 and a lot better than the default. Need to try this folks as the images look more neutral. Now I plan on shooting Raw only since there is no processing going on after your shot so shooting time improves from shot to next shot. Here is a area that if your shooting events you need to make some decisions on operation. Now even the new 16-50 lens is damn good too. So if you can get that lens worth having at least on the wide end. I'm probably going to get a 85 1.4 at some point. But so far it's worth buying even right now. In all honesty money wise it is the best 24 mpx deal out there.

m_driscoll

I've shot a bit with mine (certainly not as much as Jono) and I think it's a brilliant camera. The ZA 24-70 is, as Chuck says, great and the ZA 85 mm f/1.4 is another terrific lens. I have the ZA 16-80mm and will get the ZA 16-35mm and the ZA 135mm.

My purchase of the A77 was an impulse buy. The camera came into the store and I was there. I'd already bought the Zeiss lenses for use on the NEX-5N, so, I figured why not? I'd just sold my last Nikon body and the A77 body was reasonably priced.

As, Jono (Sony's man in Cornwall) noted, the focus peaking function alone is worth it. I've, also, become a fan of the EVF (especially the function that turns it on when you put your eye to it). I haven't ventured into using non-Sony lenses on the A77, but do it a lot on the 5N. The ability to use the A lenses with full function on the NEX 5N (and coming NEX 7) is a big plus!

All of that said, the Low light performance could be better. In the dark, the NEX-5N will perform better then the A77. Not a deal breaker for me, I'd buy it again, even knowing that. Maybe the next firmware will improve it, maybe it won't. Still 'highly recommended' by me.

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Paratom

I am interested in more experience regarding AF performance of the A77 vs Nikon and Canon? Speed, accurancy, and also how good works continues AF?
Is it on the same level as one of the sports monsters like D3s or anything comparable?
I ask because for me I only need a dslr for things where MF/ or Nex-AF is too slow - sports/kids action etc.
What do you guys using the camera experience with the A77?

Thanks, Tom

Guy Mancuso

Tom give me a week or two and can answer it better but so far i have yet to miss on focus. Its encouraging so far, its the EVF that I have to get my head around but the focus seems very very fast.

Matix

O Kay
As far as the high ISO - I'm with Carlos; I don't think the dust has settled yet, and I'm expecting a new firmware version in short order. Having said that, for my stuff, which really isn't much higher than 1600, it's fantastic.

The camera itself is (I think) a no-brainer; it's a delight to use, fast, intuitive, all the buttons you need, but of course, you have to get over the EVF hump - I still don't 'like' them, but I'm willing to trade in the aesthetic for the wonder of being able to see exposure and white balance.

I'd recommend that you find one to play with for an hour or so, and then wait for a week or so for the version 2 firmware to see about the high ISO.

Me? you couldn't prise it out of my cold dead hands - I love it!
Could not have said it better.. the D7000 has now departed and the A77 stays. Maybe will miss the Hi ISO, but rarely do I need it. No regrets as I ran them side by side for 4 weeks with identical lenses before making the decision, and the Sony won out for just being the camera I need right now.

It is really fun to use, and the colours for landscapes is excellent. Yes, the next firmware may make it even better but if not, I am still happy.

Phil

J

jcoffin

Although it's mentioned in the title, almost nobody has mentioned the 7D at all.

As it happens, this last weekend we had my youngest son's birthday party. I had my Alpha 700 there, and a friend of ours had his new 7D. Being fair, I should probably emphasize that I've used the 700 for years, and he did just get the 7D a few weeks ago, so maybe what I'm seeing is partly a matter of being more accustomed to the camera.

In any case, the 7D did not seem to show up particularly well. At the end of the day, it/he produced about exactly half the rate of keepers. Looking through the pictures, my wife (who couldn't care less about the brands) repeatedly asked "Why do the colors in that one look so weird?" -- every time referring to a picture from the Canon. The 7D also produced obviously bad pictures (completely missed focus and/or exposure) about twice as often at the 700.

I hasten to repeat that this probably at least a little unfair and even at best thoroughly incomplete. There's definitely a major difference in experience involved, and the circumstances didn't really give much chance to show areas where the Canon probably is better (e.g., it was during the day, so there was no need/use for high ISOs).

bensonga

I've had a 7D for about 2 months now and have not been particularly impressed with the images, though I haven't had a problem with the colors, more often focus or generally unsharp images. This surprises me, since the 7D reviews were pretty good. I'll get a good image with it now and then (only when using my best Canon glass, such as the 135mm f2L), but more often than not, the images from my 1D2, 40D and 5D look better. I actually might sell the 7D....and I don't sell stuff very often. It's not a camera I would recommend to a friend. This of course, is just my own experience and personal assessment.

Gary

Paratom

I made a Canon excurs some time ago with a 7d and some nice fast glass and had problems with focus accurancy. I even tried a second body and still found focus accurancy inconsistent (my D700 does much better/reliable).
I dont know if I had to defect bodies but in the end I gave up and sold all.
There are some really nice lenses from Canon though. The handling of the 7f I found very good.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Tom give me a week or two and can answer it better but so far i have yet to miss on focus. Its encouraging so far, its the EVF that I have to get my head around but the focus seems very very fast.
Guy, I completely agree with what you said. The focus seems fast and crisp with the A77. Better than my old 7D, and on par with the D3/D700 I sold several months ago. Maybe even better, as I do seem to be landing a higher number of shots right on the money where I intended. Something I always felt lacking with both the Canons and the Nikons.

It's the EVF for me as well that is taking some "getting my head around" since it is a whole new animal. I keep thinking of this body still as a DSLR, and it's really not. It's more of a computer coupled to a great lens - a DCM (Digital Capture Machine) as I am starting to realize now. Still not had it long enough to really shake out the cobwebs, or learn the full advantages, but so far it's very promising.

The color is fabulous right out of the camera processing in RAW Developer, as is the tonal range. The dynamic range at ISO 50 is fabulous! Lightroom leaves something to be desired in conversion, but still not what I would call "bad." The shadows are more blocked up, the tonal range is not as good, and for some reason the conversions seem to have a punched up color palette that RAW Developer renders more naturally. LR needs the saturation dialed down about 11 points to my eyes. Sharpening and noise reduction in RAW Developer also really strut their stuff, by comparison.

This SZ glass is fantastic. Everything my old Contax 645 glass had, and more. Overall, I am more excited about this new A77 than any other camera since my first DMR. And not nearly as slippery a slope :ROTFL:

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
I have a 7D, which I use to shoot soccer games with a Sigma 120-300 / f2.8.

I just picked up an A77 with 16-50/2.8, and will be receiving the Sony G 70-400.

I'll be shooting two soccer games this weekend, and I'm eager to compare the focusing prowess of the Sony (with 70-400) to the Canon 7D. I'll report back here after the weekend to let you know how it goes.

In all other regards, I highly favor the Sony. I've only had it for two days, and can already tell that I enjoy shooting it much more than the 7D. The files are very nice (I rarely go over ISO 800), and the resolution is excellent.

If the AF holds up, this is a no-brainer. Even if the AF on the A77 is slightly worse than the 7D, I'll still keep the A77, as it's other advantages are so strong.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
This SZ glass is fantastic.
Isn't it! This is why I'm holding onto my a850. The a850 + 24-70 makes for a lovely piece of kit. I might also get an a77 even though I absolutely love the D7000. The 3D AF, competent ADL, and RGB matrix metering does a damn fine job. The a850 + ZA glass and a 70-200 nicely complements the M9. It'll be interesting to see what it can do when tools like LR and DxO support the a77 raws directly.