The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

low light AF performance

nostatic

Ok, I finally found one thing where the 5N couldn't compete with my now-gone 5D2 - low light AF. We played two gigs last night and my g/f shot with the 5N. She didn't know about the MF options, but in the dark club AF was a challenge. She did comment about wanting a VF, and at least I can solve that :D

By comparison, how good is the a77 or a65 on low light AF? Seems that the a77 would be significantly better than the a65 due to more points and built-in assist lamp, but that either would be faster/more accurate than the 5N under typical club conditions.

nostatic

well, I guess I'll answer my own question soon. My local store had an a77/16-50 in stock so I grabbed it and the g/f will shoot tonight with it. I'm thinking that maybe her G3 will go back in exchange for an a65. She commented about how much she liked the colors out of the nex-5n. I guess a "Sony system" is in the future...

nostatic

I suspect one of those will be on tap soon. The g/f shot with the a77 last night and was impressed. Especially good was the object tracking during video. High iso doesn't look anywhere as good as the 5N though. I really wish they had done a model with the 16mp chip and then new EVF but maybe firmware will sort out that.

She liked it so much that her G3 is going to get swapped for an a65. Then we'll just have Sony stuff along with a couple of DLux4s in the house. We both remain impressed by the colors/files coming out of the Sony.

On the downside, I'm not that impressed by the 16-50/2.8. Feels a little on the cheap side, but I suppose for f2.8 and relatively small/light that's what you get.

kanzlr

its colours are Minolta legacy, after all ;)

5N + EVF + LA-EA2 is nice.

I plan to get the LA-EA2 + some classic Minolta AF lenses for when I need AF :)