The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tilt-Shift on the NEX-5N

scho

Here is my "mini view camera" set-up using the Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5 L II lens and NEX-5N. The lens is mounted to the NEX using a Fotodiox Pro EOS-NEX adapter, with built-in tripod mount. The tiltable LCD and EVF are very nice for composing and focus. Additionally, focus peaking works beautifully with this lens and I can adjust the lens tilt while watching the focal plane "sparkle" into view. Sample image below was taken with 1.5 degrees of downward tilt and vertical shift was used to capture two shots for stitching. Not a pretty landscape with the all of the washed up debris.

scho

Hi Carl, nice shot and setup. How do you stop the EF lens down?
Arne,
Thanks, I just mount it on a Canon body, set aperture, and then hold in DOF button while removing lens. Aperture is then retained.
Carl - does that adapter give aperture control?
Terry,
No, there is no aperture control. I just leave the lens set at f/8 all the time which is adequate for most situations. I've heard about new adapters for EOS lenses that do provide aperture control, but I haven't found one yet for the NEX. I do like the tripod mount on the Fotodiox adapter.

Arne Hvaring

Carl, yeah I imagined something like that. It's of course a workaround for the occasional shot, but an adapter that allows aperture control either from the camera body or directly on the adapter would be sweet. Tripodmount great for heavier lenses.