The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEX/SLT Lens question

peterb

I posted a similar question on the Sony SLR forum but I realized that I may get more 'experienced' answers here.

So here goes:

Because of design constraints I've gathered that E lenses while okay for the most part do not perform nearly as well as full-blown ALPHA lenses do.

There have been several very enthusiastic reviews for the the f2 24mm ZA lens (Photozone and SLR Lens and Camera review) with expressions like "one of the true marvels out there" and "exceedingly sharp" and "If there is such a thing as perfect wide angle lens, Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 24mm f/2 ZA gets as close to that definition as one can imagine."

On the other hand, two reviews for the f1.8 24mm Zeiss "E" lens (SLR Gear and Steve Huff) while positive for the most part seemed a bit muted or riddled with faint or backhanded praise with expressions like "maximal sharpness is achieved at ƒ/4, where it's not quite tack-sharp" or "While it is not clinicaly sharp, it has character… and to me, that is way more important that hyper sharpness".

The variable is one of the 24mm Zeiss lenses is mounted on a NEX 7 body with nothing standing between it and its 24mm sensor while the other 24mm Zeiss has to contend with a lens degrading pellicle (not sure about image but lens performance is curtailed by 1/2 to 2/3 of a stop).

So I was wondering, with equal sensors, whether the trade-offs in IQ of an NEX 7 with an E mount 24mm f1.8 Zeiss lens and no pellicle to hamper lens speed will be better, equal or worse than the IQ of an a65/a77 with its 24mm f2 Zeiss ALPHA lens.

Thanks!

Bugleone

I have also been wondering exactly this.........

Instinct, tempered by nearly 50 years of using cameras tells me that ANYTHING between the lens and image is a 'less than desirable' situation, so the NEX 7 would seem to have an advantage right there for people like you and me.

The really important issue for me is whether Sony, with it's questionable and poor track record for business and marketing ethics, will feel obliged to 'hamper' the image quality of NEX7 to protect a77 as it's flagship offering. Presumably, the development costs for a77 were greater than those of NEX models and with Sony's surprise at the (apparently unexpected) record sales, it must now be wondering if it's shot it's DSLR models in the foot with NEX.....

........On the other hand, production costs of NEX must be minimal compared to a77 and similar, so perhaps it's just nemesis for Sony DSLR's.....

V

Vivek

I posted a similar question on the Sony SLR forum but I realized that I may get more 'experienced' answers here.

So here goes:

Because of design constraints I've gathered that E lenses while okay for the most part do not perform nearly as well as full-blown ALPHA lenses do.

There have been several very enthusiastic reviews for the the f2 24mm ZA lens (Photozone and SLR Lens and Camera review) with expressions like "one of the true marvels out there" and "exceedingly sharp" and "If there is such a thing as perfect wide angle lens, Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 24mm f/2 ZA gets as close to that definition as one can imagine."

On the other hand, two reviews for the f1.8 24mm Zeiss "E" lens (SLR Gear and Steve Huff) while positive for the most part seemed a bit muted or riddled with faint or backhanded praise with expressions like "maximal sharpness is achieved at ƒ/4, where it's not quite tack-sharp" or "While it is not clinicaly sharp, it has character… and to me, that is way more important that hyper sharpness".

The variable is one of the 24mm Zeiss lenses is mounted on a NEX 7 body with nothing standing between it and its 24mm sensor while the other 24mm Zeiss has to contend with a lens degrading pellicle (not sure about image but lens performance is curtailed by 1/2 to 2/3 of a stop).

So I was wondering, with equal sensors, whether the trade-offs in IQ of an NEX 7 with an E mount 24mm f1.8 Zeiss lens and no pellicle to hamper lens speed will be better, equal or worse than the IQ of an a65/a77 with its 24mm f2 Zeiss ALPHA lens.

Thanks!
Peter, Apples and oranges in different bushels. :ROTFL:

The E-Sonnar is a totally different lens compared to any Distagon.

Personally, I would be more worried about the ergonomics (even worse than the m4/3rds cams, quite a feat!) of a handheld NEX than anything else.

On the lesser important aspects, I would also be interested to see if the NEX-7 would be supplied with a bodycap.;)

jonoslack

Personally, I would be more worried about the ergonomics (even worse than the m4/3rds cams, quite a feat!) of a handheld NEX than anything else.
Hi Vivek
I hope you're well.

Do you think so? I've been through the gamut, and I'm finding the 5N with a viewfinder to be rather good ergonomically - now I've got it all set up and going. I only use the menu for changing from A to M to P mode . . . and formatting cards - everything else is done with the buttons - they don't say what they do, but then I can't read things squashed up against my nose!

As far as the original question is concerned - I really don't see any disadvantages with SLT cameras - having used the A55 and now the A77 - Im sure that there IS a disadvantage, but if I can't see it it ain't there for me!

I've got the 24 Distagon - and it is a fine lens - I don't believe that there is any real constraint to creating such a good design for NEX (after all, Panasonic and Leica have managed some stinking good lenses for m4/3).

As for passing verdict on a lens based on Steve Huff's fun and entertaining reviews :loco: I thought that the SLRgear review was actually rather good.

Of course, you can always get the NEX7 and stick the distagon on it (using the adapter 2 you'll even get the faster AF . . . and the SLT :ROTFL:).

Seriously - I don't think you can make any generic statements about these things - and until the 24 1.8 appears in sufficient production quantities I think that the verdict has to wait.

all the best

peterb

I'm now thinking that rather than get an NEX 7 as an all around cam to get an a65 (I think the a77 for my needs is unnecessary) with the 9 bladed Zeiss alpha optics for those occasions I need them and get the 5n (and an EVF which I agree with Jono makes for better ergonomics) for less obtrusive walk around work.

And, Jono, you're right! When the 24mm f1.8 becomes more available (with correct firmware etc.) we'll have a better idea of just how well it REALLY performs with less speculations and ponderings based on a paucity of available images and write-ups.

Thanks!

Paratom

Just specualtion but I bet both, the Nex 24/1.8 on a Nex as well as the 24/2 on an A77 will deliver very good IQ and that the main and important difference for me would be the user interface and handling of the camera and not the slightest IQ differences.
If I wanted a small camera I would use a Nex and if I needed a larger selection of fast AF lenses I would use an A77/DSLR.

So here goes:

Thanks!

nostatic

I can't see Sony intentionally crippling the NEX series iq. It is a totally different form factor and they've already set themselves up to make more money by having a different lens mount *and* making adapters. Some people will never even consider the NEX over an slr format, no matter what the iq. They just want to move units, and if it is something with a higher profit margin even better.

Jonas

(...)
In what ways do you think a Nex-7 will be worse, ergonomically, then "the m4/3 cams"? Really?!

Jonas

So here goes:

I don't know if it is because of design constraints or because of a market department deciding what to make. There is technically nothing telling me that a, by default sort of speaking, short register distance makes for worse lenses. The lens designer can decide whatever length of the barrel he/she wants and then a short register does nothing but open up for smaller WA lenses.

...and then we have had those discussions about quality control and decentered lenses. But yes, I think a good Distagon 24/2 is a very good lens.

SLRGear and Steve Huff, really? I think we should wait for more reviews and more real life images before judging the 24/1.8.

Or you can use the 24/2 on the Nex-7 with no mirror between the rear element and the sensor. Slower AF but all the good things with the Distagon.

I don't think anyone can say for sure right now. Maybe it depends on what standards you have more than exactly how a random "reviewer" words himself. Also remember we don't know exactly how good or bad the Nex-7 sensor will be when used with the 24/1.8.

Not much help, I know...

/Jonas

V

Vivek

In what ways do you think a Nex-7 will be worse, ergonomically, then "the m4/3 cams"? Really?!
Interesting interpretation.

The next NEX I would buy would be after checking it out in person. Having a real hotshoe and an EVF is definitely a good thing for the NEX-7's attractiveness.

Jonas

Interesting interpretation.
I thought it was the only interpretation one could do?
The next NEX I would buy would be after checking it out in person. Having a real hotshoe and an EVF is definitely a good thing for the NEX-7's attractiveness.
Indeed.

Off topic of course, but I have wondered where you have been? Tired of the forum?