The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Some A77 Macros...and dust!

jeffnesh

Asked for some advice a while back and settled on the A77 for macro photography.

Gotta say I love the handling of the A77 for this (and other) kind of shooting! I have the A77 & 16-50, and also picked up a Tamron 60mm macro lens. Out of the box, tamron on the camera, and first shots have HUGE dust spots!

So best practice for taking them off? Are they on the translucent mirror or the sensor? Can I tell? I'm familiar with sensor cleaning, wet and dry, but wonder about any SLT variations...

Thanks for input on cleaning. Some early macro pics, raw converted in lightroom with no PP yet...

-Jeff

V

Vivek

Given that you know how to clean the surfaces. First thing to do would be the pellicle mirror. But I think the dust is on the sensor.

If you do not want to see the dust, open up the aperture on the lens. When you approach diffraction limits, every blemish in the optical path will show all the time.

Given that limitation, you may want to rethink the idea of using the A77 for close-ups and or macros.

etrigan63

As I understand it, the mirror can be manually moved out of the way so that the sensor can be cleaned. Check your fine manual.

pegelli

I think these spots are too sharp to be on the pellicle mirror. To be so sharp they must be close to the sensor, so probably on the AA filter. I hope it's not deeper down in the sensor, because then you'll be looking at a replacement camera (or repair)