The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New firmware upgrade for A77 available now

dhsimmonds

The latest firmware upgrade version 1.04 is now available officially from Sony Asia Pacific. I have downloaded firmware in the past for my A900 from this source so I can vouch for it's authenticity. It's just that they always get it before the UK or US!

http://www.sony-asia.com/support/product/slt-a77v

The new firmware expands the number of lenses that permit use of fine focus adjustments (including the Vario-Sonnar T 16-80) and a few other nice goodies! :D

Just click on downloads and follow the instructions for your computer platform.

Matix

Update went smooth, followed instructions to the letter including the Reset and OK after using the Safely Remove on task bar.

Surprise!! I did not lose any settings and update to 1.04 was relatively quick.

Ok, what is different...IMHO, 3,500 shots with the A77 so far.

- Responsive, Control Wheels similar to D7000, noticeably better.
- Much faster startup ~1 second.
- Shut down, no change noticed.
- Change from EVF to LCD, much better, no delay noticeable.
- JPG's, to my eye they 6400 ISO seems what the 3200 ISO was
before the update.
- RAW In my opinion, using Capture One 6, acceptable at 6400 ISO, really
good at 3200. I am happy with the quality of the images now.

I see a substantial improvement, printed copy is good, looks good on screen, camera feels more alive.

We are off to the UK for 6 weeks next week, I feel much more confident now... really looking forward to the trip, the low light in winter was a nagging unknown.

Phil

dhsimmonds

Phil

It is a very smooth process and takes no longer really than the "moving the file from the computer to card to camera" system used in earlier Sony cameras and most others too.

I agree with your findings, the whole camera is just a bit more responsive and cleaner images at higher ISO's. I thought that the high ISO stuff was OK before but I can see a marked difference since the update.

Enjoy the UK, where will you be visiting? I guess it is a family visit as six weeks takes you over the Christmas period. Have a great time

jonoslack

Hi There
Well - Silas and I both have A77s - we upgraded one of them, and then did some response/on-off/lcd to viewfinder/high ISO checks. They weren't very thorough, but we couldn't discern any differences anywhere. . . . having said that I didn't think there was much of a problem before!

I'm sure they did something though :)

dhsimmonds

Jono

Were you upgrading from 1.02 or 1.03?

I ask because I thought that you were using 1.02 and were very satisfied with that firmware.

Some users are reporting improvements to colours using AWB. I didn't see any differences in colours but then I rarely if ever use AWB!

jonoslack

Jono

Were you upgrading from 1.02 or 1.03?

I ask because I thought that you were using 1.02 and were very satisfied with that firmware.

Some users are reporting improvements to colours using AWB. I didn't see any differences in colours but then I rarely if ever use AWB!
Hi There 1.03 - not 1.02
Every time there's an update to any camera - there's a raft of people making extravagant claims for it - talk to any camera manufacturer, and they'll laugh like a drain. Still, if it makes people happy . . . and I was happy anyway :)

all the best

Matix

Phil

It is a very smooth process and takes no longer really than the "moving the file from the computer to card to camera" system used in earlier Sony cameras and most others too.

I agree with your findings, the whole camera is just a bit more responsive and cleaner images at higher ISO's. I thought that the high ISO stuff was OK before but I can see a marked difference since the update.

Enjoy the UK, where will you be visiting? I guess it is a family visit as six weeks takes you over the Christmas period. Have a great time
Thanks Dave, we will be based with daughter's family in Southampton, have a car to use so mobile, lots to see and do I guess. If you are in the area would be good to catch up for a shoot.

It is interesting the feedback on the 1.04 FW, hard to quantify each point but I found that startup was faster as I had been annoyed before, maybe just a little faster but less annoying? I had been on 1.03 BTW.

The shutter/aperture with the rear wheel was a big difference to me, maybe some do not see it but I use that quite a lot and while it is not immediate I have no interest in measuring it.

If it feels better to me that is all the measurement I need, sorry if others see nothing, maybe I am a born optimist?

As for the noise issue at higher ISO, I rarely use over 1600, had tried 6400 before and it was horrible, tried it after the 1.04 update and to me it was improved, by what margin.. who cares, it looked better, I took some shots in the house with bad light and a 18-270mm Tamron PZD, not a fast lens at all and with a little tweaking they looked good.

Not as good as the D7000 I had prior to the A77, but the high ISO on that camera was excellent if you want to shoot in the dark, I do not.

Phil

jonoslack

Hi Phil

If it feels better to me that is all the measurement I need, sorry if others see nothing, maybe I am a born optimist?
Hi Phil - don't get me wrong - I'm not complaining, and I wasn't complaining before - it was just that the basic operation tests, we compared two cameras, one with 1.03, and one with 1.04 . . . and we couldn't discern any difference at all. . . . . I thought the 1.03 update sped it up enough anyway. (I did think the LCD to eye was a bit slow with 1.02, and it could maybe be faster than it is now), but I'm pretty sure that there's no difference between 1.03 and 1.04 - and that isn't based on perception after the update, it's based on sitting two cameras down together and comparing.

As for the noise issue at higher ISO, I rarely use over 1600, had tried 6400 before and it was horrible, tried it after the 1.04 update and to me it was improved, by what margin.. who cares, it looked better, I took some shots in the house with bad light and a 18-270mm Tamron PZD, not a fast lens at all and with a little tweaking they looked good.

Not as good as the D7000 I had prior to the A77, but the high ISO on that camera was excellent if you want to shoot in the dark, I do not.

Phil
I can't vouch for the high ISO noise - our comparisons weren't very scientific, so it might easily have improved - still, I didn't really have a complaint before.

The fact that I'm not convinced by some of the claims made for the update doesn't distract from the fact that I think the A77 a complete winner.

Have a great holiday in Southampton . . . . I lived nearby in Gosport when I was a student.

all the best

nostatic

One thing to note for Mac users - the update app will not work if you're running in 64 bit mode (which newer machines/OS do by default. You can check what kernal you're using with the system profiler, and you can boot into 32 bit mode by holding down the 3 and 2 key while restarting (must use a physically connected keyboard - BT won't work). I had no problem with the a77 at work. The a65 (first shot at it last night) gave me errors and I have yet to get it to work with my laptop. Will try again shortly and make sure that I'm in fact in 32 bit mode.

Matix

Hi Phil

Hi Phil - don't get me wrong - I'm not complaining, and I wasn't complaining before - it was just that the basic operation tests, we compared two cameras, one with 1.03, and one with 1.04 . . . and we couldn't discern any difference at all. . . . . it's based on sitting two cameras down together and comparing.

I can't vouch for the high ISO noise - our comparisons weren't very scientific, so it might easily have improved - still, I didn't really have a complaint before.

The fact that I'm not convinced by some of the claims made for the update doesn't distract from the fact that I think the A77 a complete winner.

Have a great holiday in Southampton . . . . I lived nearby in Gosport when I was a student.

all the best
No problem Jono, my comments were not directed to you particularly, just that there is such a wide range of comments and analysis of results being discussed. I agree, I am happy even if there was no change... the A77 ticks a lot of boxes for me, very happy with it.

Phil

dhsimmonds

Hi Phil

I live just 7 miles from Southampton, so it is no problem for me to meet up. I will send you a PM today with further contact details!

Yes, very interesting to learn of other folks experiences when updates are discussed. Not so much with this one but the last update to the A900 made a dramatic difference to focusing speed, particularly with long telephoto lenses which I tend to use mostly these days.

Winchester (the old capital of England) makes a good photogenic day out if the weather is good and it's just 12 miles north of Southampton. It is very colourful at this time of the year with it's Christmas market and open air skating rink in the grounds of Winchester Cathedral. Southampton also has a Christmas market and a covered skating rink at the old Bargate.

I am assisting the organiser for next year's Leica Fellowship meeting which is to be held in south Hampshire and Winchester will definitely be on the agenda for photo opportunities for that meeting.

Matix

Hi Phil

I live just 7 miles from Southampton, so it is no problem for me to meet up. I will send you a PM today with further contact details!

Yes, very interesting to learn of other folks experiences when updates are discussed. Not so much with this one but the last update to the A900 made a dramatic difference to focusing speed, particularly with long telephoto lenses which I tend to use mostly these days.

Winchester (the old capital of England) makes a good photogenic day out if the weather is good and it's just 12 miles north of Southampton. It is very colourful at this time of the year with it's Christmas market and open air skating rink in the grounds of Winchester Cathedral. Southampton also has a Christmas market and a covered skating rink at the old Bargate.

I am assisting the organiser for next year's Leica Fellowship meeting which is to be held in south Hampshire and Winchester will definitely be on the agenda for photo opportunities for that meeting.
Terrific Dave, look forward to it.

Phil